The next full-frame RF mount camera will be a replacement for the Canon EOS R

Sep 20, 2020
Just a gateway lens.... who knows, they may then get a RF100-500mm or even a EF/RF 600mm in the future :)
To me, there is just too big a gap between the RF 100-400 and RF 100-500 which is 4 x more expensive.
Also between the RF 600 f/11 and RF 600 f/4 which is 20 x more expensive.
Likewise the RF 800 f/11 and RF 800 f/5.6 which is 21 x more expensive.
There needs to be a more affordable middle tier that buyers at the entry-level can reasonably rise to.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
To me, there is just too big a gap between the RF 100-400 and RF 100-500 which is 4 x more expensive.
Also between the RF 600 f/11 and RF 600 f/4 which is 20 x more expensive.
Likewise the RF 800 f/11 and RF 800 f/5.6 which is 21 x more expensive.
There needs to be a more affordable middle tier that buyers at the entry-level can reasonably rise to.
Absolutely agree - it's one extreme or the other.

Whatever happened to middle-of-the-road lenses with "normal" maximum apertures and sensible prices?

It's not only entry-level users who want middle-tier lenses...

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Absolutely agree - it's one extreme or the other.

Whatever happened to middle-of-the-road lenses with "normal" maximum apertures and sensible prices?

It's not only entry-level users who want middle-tier lenses...
We're in year 4 of the RF system.

I expect what you want to happen to occur by year 2024 when I expect the EF system to cease production.

If I was strap for cash I'd keep to the EF system as the secondary market has a lot of bargain finds that is being liquidated by hobbyists who babied their gear to make room for RF full fame bodies and RF L glass.

At the end of the day non-photogs viewing your output will be more interested in the aesthetic beauty rather gear & settings used.

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
Yes, discussing the matter seriously, the concern is that there is a real problem with social isolation with the younger generations, and an increase in the prevalence of mental health issues. It's projected mental health will become the leading health problem ahead of chronic cardiovascular health issues in the western world.

To quote the World Health Organisation "Mental health conditions are increasing worldwide. Mainly because of demographic changes, there has been a 13% rise in mental health conditions and substance use disorders in the last decade (to 2017). Mental health conditions now cause 1 in 5 years lived with disability. Around 20% of the world’s children and adolescents have a mental health condition, with suicide the second leading cause of death among 15-29-year-olds. Approximately one in five people in post-conflict settings have a mental health condition."

Engaging with nature and people is important for people's mental health. Forums, despite their failings, are online global communities where people can share thoughts, ideas and interests. The right ones also provide good mental stimulation and opportunities for learning. It's kind of curious that many more older people are using the technology to interact, rather than younger people. I have no idea what the turnover rate is at CR, the thing is that many people just read forums but don't join. For forums to survive, in my mind, they need to be welcoming to beginners, and supportive of them, sharing knowledge and experience, being real community.
Social isolation with younger generations?
Hmm...I'm kinda blaming it on social media....heads stuck in phones all day and not interacting with anyone really in "meat space".

The other day I was out, saw a young couple on what appeared to be a first date type thing...rather than looking at each other, talking and getting to know each other, the guy and the girl mostly seemed to have their heads stuck in a phone.

Sad.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

bergstrom

Photographer
Feb 23, 2015
I’m anxiously checking this site every day hoping for rumored specs for the Eos R successor. I wouldn’t even care if they were CR0 or CR 1

Me everyday waiting for R8 / R9 news!

Attachments

• ezgif.com-gif-maker.gif
    ezgif.com-gif-maker.gif
    3.5 MB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
I sure hope so. I loved the R, just wish it had 2 card slots.
-Cody McCracken
Johnson City Wedding Photographer

It's all a case of where the camera slots into the range - will it be above or below the R6 in terms of price?

It would be nice to have a 30MP camera in between the R5 and R6, with IBIS and 2 slots, but that might cannibalise R5 sales, so I'm guessing it will sit below the R6.

In which case, unlikely to have 2 slots, unfortunately.

If it has a 30MP sensor and IBIS, I'd consider it as a backup to my R5, even if it only has one slot.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
Social isolation with younger generations?
Hmm...I'm kinda blaming it on social media....heads stuck in phones all day and not interacting with anyone really in "meat space".

The other day I was out, saw a young couple on what appeared to be a first date type thing...rather than looking at each other, talking and getting to know each other, the guy and the girl mostly seemed to have their heads stuck in a phone.

Sad.
As long as they weren't talking to each other using their cellphones...
This will be the next step!

Upvote 0