There may be as many as three RF mount APS-C cameras on the horizon [CR1]

neuroanatomist

I post too Much on Here!!
CR Pro
Jul 21, 2010
Emphatically agree, for your reasons as well as the fact that sometimes we here in the States (where it's Rebel Tn+possible suffix) sometimes see documentation that proudly proclaims the three digit model number and have no idea that's for our camera. Or that it's NOT for our camera, since they sometimes put pages that say things like "EOS-760D only" in our manuals. It turns out the 760D is the Rebel T6s (higher end rebel with a top LCD of all things), and 750D is the Rebel T6i (midgrade but vastly superior to (and higher resolution than) the T6), but you have to go to the internet to find that out. At least the 1200 (T6--I think that's the right number) didn't end up in that manual as well.

The 4000 you mention appears to be distinct from the low end Rebels' equivalent numbering scheme, which is four digits but two significant figures.

Recalling the international audience here I try to remember to put 750D in parentheses when I mention my T6i.
Me, too. For example, my first DSLR was a T1i/500D (and the latter is the name of a close-up lens). I recall that the Rebel XS / 1000D was a contemporary of the XSi / 450D, and those came after the XT / 350D. XT before the XS? Illogical, IMO.

At the time, I suspect most people were buying at a camera shop (where they’d likely find the XSi) or Costco/Target (where they’d likely find the XS), so the confusion is probably less than it appears through the lens of history.

Reactions: No Longer Active

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
I must say that even without the complications of the EF-M mount list, it looks incredibly over-complicated...
Well the M series is totally and completely separate (and also confusing just on its own terms). The M numbering might as well be a different brand for all the relationship it has to the EF (not M) series.

SwissFrank

from EOS 1N to R
Dec 9, 2018
> What about EF-M lenses you ask? They may not natively work on the RF mount, but there are always solutions to these sorts of problems. We have seen patents in the past that show Canon moving the image sensor inside the camera body.

I agree that M users will take it very hard if they can't use their EF-Ms going forward. What I heard in 1987 from the few pros using Canon: "as long as I have to switch outfits, I might as well switch to Nikon." (That was before USM brought a tsunami of Nikon users to Canon: the pro market share went from like 25/75 to 90/10 in the following decade.)

And I never thought of simply moving the sensor. Especially if there is no shutter it should be quite easy. You might not even need a motor. Instead you could have an EF-M mount adaptor that pushes a cam that pulls the sensor forward a bit. Let the user's twisting action mounting the adaptor move the sensor...