Three new stacked sensor cameras coming from Canon [CR2]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
The Canon EOS R3 was the first camera produced by Canon to come with a Canon manufactured stacked image sensor. This was a much needed advancement from Canon to keep up with Sony’s industry leading image sensor business. We have been told that Canon will be announcing 3 new camera bodies, all with different resolution

See full article...

Reactions: 1 user

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
I am willing to bet that the 3rd stacked sensor camera would be either a r5c or c500-700 cinecam.
The way the information was presented, I don't think Cinema EOS was part of it.

There will likely be an APS-C video focused shooter in the pipeline.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Maybe an R7mk2?
We do have some precedence on a quick replacement with the R6 to R62.
TBH, I would count the R7 as the same generation as R6m2 or (not 100% correct) R5m2 (yet to be announced).
So a quick replacement of the R7 would really surprise me.
As I sated above an R5c II would sound more logical to me, giving Canon the choice to use the same sensor in it as in the R5m2 and to use as much as possible development steps in parallel for both cameras.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
TBH, I would count the R7 as the same generation as R6m2 or (not 100% correct) R5m2 (yet to be announced).
As I sated above an R5c II would sound more logical to me, giving Canon the choice to use the same sensor in it as in the R5m2 and to use as much as possible development steps in parallel for both cameras.
It would surprise me too, a follow-up to the R5 C would make more sense. We'll see if this post brings more clarity over the next week or so.

Upvote 0
I hear your point, but let's be honest....the r7 just doesn't cut the mustard for serious wildlife shooters. Useless buffer, horrible rolling shutter and well..a questionable button layout. If they released a new crop with 32mp stacked sensor, that would eliminate rolling shutter, put a decent buffer rin and make it exactly the same body and button layout as the r5 it would be a market killer!

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
I hear your point, but let's be honest....the r7 just doesn't cut the mustard for serious wildlife shooters. Useless buffer, horrible rolling shutter and well..a questionable button layout. If they released a new crop with 32mp stacked sensor, that would eliminate rolling shutter, put a decent buffer rin and make it exactly the same body and button layout as the r5 it would be a market killer!
Well, I think ergonomics are a very personal thing. I could never get used to the R5 ergonomics and bailed on the camera after about 18 months. Nothing against its capabilities, I just didn't like using it.

I don't believe Canon has nailed the ergonomics on the EOS R series yet, and that we'll see further evolution. I do miss that about their DSLRs.

Upvote 0

Stig Nygaard

EOS R7, Powershot G5 X II & Olympus TG-5
CR Pro
Jul 10, 2013
Copenhagen
www.flickr.com
Maybe an R7mk2? Perhaps they are thinking about a real 7d2 replacement? I know it's early but the rumor does not suggest a timeline does it?
It IS (too) early. But then again R6 II was also unexpected early.
So if the rumor of three stacked sensor cameras are true, I'll also cross my fingers for an R7II :)

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
It IS (too) early. But then again R6 II was also unexpected early.
So if the rumor of three stacked sensor cameras are true, I'll also cross my fingers for an R7II :)
No idea if I am on the right track of course. Just tossing around an idea. The 7d2 was considered a 'mini 1d' and the R7, while it does have some good features, could never be considered a 'mini R1'. But if they have decided to change tack and head down that route it may make sense given the R7 and R10 are pretty close in speed etc. They may decide to up market the next r7

Upvote 0
Nov 3, 2012
Well, I think ergonomics are a very personal thing. I could never get used to the R5 ergonomics and bailed on the camera after about 18 months. Nothing against its capabilities, I just didn't like using it.

I don't believe Canon has nailed the ergonomics on the EOS R series yet, and that we'll see further evolution. I do miss that about their DSLRs.
Off topic, but I'd be interested in what you dislike about R5 ergos. From my 20D, through 5D, 5DII, 5DsR and R6, I have grown into, and like, the R5 ergos. Not sure what I'd change.

Upvote 0