Fixed lens “Retro” camera coming from Canon?

The oversaturated, hyper-punchy, and "film" looks can be achieved easily in post; on the other hand, you may find some great tutorials (as the one linked below) to explain how to create beautiful Canon Picture Styles, using Canon software, that can be easily uploaded to use in camera. You can even download pre-made Fujii styles for the green skies, etc. Or you can demand out-of-the-box-options. Choice is good!

EDIT: Here's one more link for quick and easy "film styles":

Thanks, I'll give it a go! I've tried it before but wasn't really pleased with the results but I will spend some more time with it. That said I still think Canon (with waaaay more colorist knowledge than most end users) should put something really eye-pleasing and retro together for such a camera. IF they make it.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
The Nikon Zf was the best-selling camera...at one chain...in one country...on one Thursday in February. Quick, have the Communications department draft a press release! Oh, wait...that's a Sony strategy.
Sony marketing said they don’t do such press releases and heavily implied doing so would be tacky. Jared Polin asked them when Canon did their press release earlier this month. And then showed the press releases Sony did in the past :)

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Sony marketing said they don’t do such press releases and heavily implied doing so would be tacky. Jared Polin asked them when Canon did their press release earlier this month. And then showed the press releases Sony did in the past :)
Yeah, I recall that Sony once did a PR for being the #1 FF vendor...in South Korea...for a two-month period. And Nikon PR'd that they were the #1 full frame camera brand in the US for the month of December, 2017.

For Canon, I have seen #1 in the US and globally on an annual basis, but I don't recall seeing such 'tacky' limited press releases.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
EOS R50 is currently at the first place:

So, what does that tell us?
I have no idea what this tells us, but my daughter tells me she loves her R50. (Even with the little hotshoe-adapter so she can use my old 430ex for bounce.)

It would be interesting to see if younger photographers would choose a modern design or retro. Without nostalgia, would the retro be appealing?

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
That the list pretty much changes every day even though it is supposed to cover 100 days?
Companies just have to wait for the right day to be number one. ;)
So they can inform the hungry internet/youtube crowd "We are Number One selling camera in Llandovery's Biglyclick camera store"

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Companies just have to wait for the right day to be number one. ;)
So they can inform the hungry internet/youtube crowd "We are Number One selling camera in Llandovery's Biglyclick camera store"
Even BCN, which aggregates many retailers, is not very stable outside of the top few (and sometimes, not even there). When a model can jump from #90 to #30 in one month, it suggests the actual number of units being considered is relatively small.

I suppose that makes sense – per CIPA, there were ~38,000 ILCs shipped to Japan in January, so the BCN data are representing ~19,000 units. Given the dozens of camera models available (multiplied a bit by BCN since they rank by SKU, e.g. sales of different colors or kits with different lenses are counted separately), that means probably a few hundred units for the most popular cameras and a few tens of units for the bottom part of the list.

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
Sorry, but the takeaway is mostly in the title. Old ('vintage') fixed lens cameras are very popular with Gen Z. So the rumor of a Canon 'retro' fixed lens camera is not out in left field.
Yes I can confirm this here in the UK. There’s one Olympus point and shoot 35mm with a sliding cover that seems to be the must have camera with younger people, the so-called Gen Z. (I believe I’m a ‘Baby Boomer’).

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Yes I can confirm this here in the UK. There’s one Olympus point and shoot 35mm with a sliding cover that seems to be the must have camera with younger people, the so-called Gen Z. (I believe I’m a ‘Baby Boomer’).
There was BBC programme on them. Advice was important to get one that takes an SD card and has obtainable batteries.

Upvote 0