Fixed lens “Retro” camera coming from Canon?

Jan 22, 2012
If Canon is releasing this then I hope they are working on their color character. The Canon color signature has been quite dull (but probably technically accurate) lately. One of the main reasons the Fujifilm is selling so well in the retro-department is its glorious film simulations and flexibility to alter the look in camera. If Canon just releases a retro-style camera with the regular boring picture profiles then count me out.
There is no problem with Canon's colour character. None. Canon's colour science is fantastic. Unless the photographer is unfamiliar with camera settings or post work. Or is just lazy.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
There is no problem with Canon's colour character. None. Canon's colour science is fantastic. Unless the photographer is unfamiliar with camera settings or post work. Or is just lazy.
Or the photographer uses RAW and an opinionated RAW converter, the colours for the M6II and R7 are awful in Adobe products. Unless you provide your own profiles (e.g. ColorFidelity ones) or use jpeg/heif.
And that is without considering the colour accuracy of the screen, printer and other output options.

Colours are hard and very subjective :)

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
If Canon is releasing this then I hope they are working on their color character. The Canon color signature has been quite dull (but probably technically accurate) lately. One of the main reasons the Fujifilm is selling so well in the retro-department is its glorious film simulations and flexibility to alter the look in camera. If Canon just releases a retro-style camera with the regular boring picture profiles then count me out.
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 out!

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
Or the photographer uses RAW and an opinionated RAW converter, the colours for the M6II and R7 are awful in Adobe products. Unless you provide your own profiles (e.g. ColorFidelity ones) or use jpeg/heif.
And that is without considering the colour accuracy of the screen, printer and other output options.

Colours are hard and very subjective :)
Yes, colours are subjective. But I have had no issues with R7 and Photoshop. Can you demonstrate what your concern areas have been?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Yes, colours are subjective. But I have had no issues with R7 and Photoshop. Can you demonstrate what your concern areas have been?
Skin colour of light skinned people is zombie grey, not pinkish as it should be.
My kids are slathered in sunscreen and wear hats when it’s sunny, so they are very light skinned and that triggers the zombie look. The slight tan I have hides that effect, but I prefer to be behind the camera :)

For wildlife, the difference are not so noticeable.

Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
PS: (sightly off topic) : A few years ago, somebody tried to sell Napoleon's infant skull. I'm afraid he succeeded.
off topic, too: in 2016 one of Herrmann Goering's allegedly original slips was auctioned in Munich, but it made 3000 Euros only. Not sure in which state it was (washed/ not washed) ... :poop:

• Haha
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
off topic, too: in 2016 one of Herrmann Goering's allegedly original slips was auctioned in Munich, but it made 3000 Euros only. Not sure in which state it was (washed/ not washed) ... :poop:
"Links Lametta, rechts Lametta, in der Mitte immer fetta".
3000 Euros for 15 square meters: This was cheap!

• Haha
Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
"Links Lametta, rechts Lametta, in der Mitte immer fetta".
3000 Euros for 15 square meters: This was cheap!
Obviously he wasn't worth more than that, but this is a nice example for the fact that world's most insane collectors - surprisingly - aren't to be found amongst camera collectors :devilish:. Okay, off-topic over now.

Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
DPReview was not impressed with its ‘Operation and handling’ either (link to review):
”We're a little less convinced when it comes to the camera's handling. Even compared with the cameras it's modeled on, the Zf can become uncomfortable to hold after a while, and we found it hard to shake the perception that Nikon's engineers hadn't really thought-through the full implications of having dedicated dials when they copied over most behaviors from their other cameras.”
Not surprising. Nikon switched from a camera dealer to a camera dialer :devilish:

• Haha
Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
Many people today are heavily biased by the colors of their smartphones, it's like using ketchup in every course of a 300-dollar meal. But, it's true: colors are as subjective as food tastes. And there is always the option of post-processing...

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
Skin colour of light skinned people is zombie grey, not pinkish as it should be.
My kids are slathered in sunscreen and wear hats when it’s sunny, so they are very light skinned and that triggers the zombie look. The slight tan I have hides that effect, but I prefer to be behind the camera :)

For wildlife, the difference are not so noticeable.
Thanks. I will try and notice this in the future.

Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
My kids are slathered in sunscreen and wear hats when it’s sunny, so they are very light skinned and that triggers the zombie look.
Hm, I have to test that in Mid Europe summer with my R7. I use that camera mostly for wildlife and occasionally for landscape when I shoot wildlife and had so far no reasons to complain about its color rendition. Plus, I did recently a video shooting with it of an artist friend's exhibition (using daylight through big windows), and the results out of the camera were surprisingly so good, close to the colors of the artwork presented, including my friend's skin tones ;) that I didn't have to post-process that video files.

For family I still use a 5D4. But maybe the R7 simply reproduces the truth, a strong sunscreen blocks and partly reflects a big portion of the short-wavelength (blue to UV) light spectrum. If you shoot then with a smartphone, its heavily algorithm-processed images may give you a more "pleasant" look, i.e. a skin tone that you expect because such a skin has to have a "rosy" look. It may be the same with white balance: our brain tells us in a setting with yellowish or reddish artificial light that a white paper has to be white, this is called "color constancy" in neurosciences (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_constancy). The WB system in a modern camera has to emulate that human perception instead of showing the physically true images that indeed have a yellowish or reddish cast. Same might happen with a light colored human skin covered in sunscreen, I have to check that in summer. A smartphone might then use a setting-related algorithm to produce "nicer" skin tones instead of showing the maybe not-so-nice truth.

People don't always like to see (or hear) the truth ;)

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
I hope not.
I always hated the Velvia colors a la "my grass is greener, my skin is rosier and my sky is bluer than yours".
If you enjoy flashy saturated to death colors like in CSI Miami, I'm fine with it, your choice. But fortunately not Canon's.
Kitsch sells, unfortunately...

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
I hope not.
I always hated the Velvia colors a la "my grass is greener, my skin is rosier and my sky is bluer than yours".
If you enjoy flashy saturated to death colors like in CSI Miami, I'm fine with it, your choice. But fortunately not Canon's.
Kitsch sells, unfortunately...
Don’t look inside my fridge, it has a bunch of 120 velvia rolls :)

• Wow
Upvote 0

TwoWheeler

Pointlessly lugs heavy expensive gear around.
Nov 9, 2023
I find this extremely amusing because this week I found an old Canon Powershot SD630 at work. I decided to do a “project” and shoot with it for a week.

First impression: “Holy Hell! I forgot how laggy these things were! They shouldn’t call it a “point and shoot”, they should call it a “point and wait”! I had forgotten the days of “press the button and then wait for the shutter…only to find your subject has left the frame by the time it fires…”. On top of that, it has to chew on the image for what seems like two minutes before it’s got it’s <excrement> together and is ready to take another picture.:ROFLMAO:

No nostalgia here - maybe I can pawn it off on one of these retro-nuts.

Upvote 0