Fixed lens “Retro” camera coming from Canon?

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
There has been a lot of hype over the last year about retro cameras, with the Nikon Z F taking a lot of headlines and with the sales to back up their decision to continue making such a camera. The new Fujifilm XV100VI is also selling like crazy, while not marketed as “retro”, the series

See full article...

Reactions: 1 user

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
I enjoyed using the QL17 and I'll applaud anything that gets close to being small, pocketable and having excellent AF. The original M+22mm was (and still is) the most enjoyable travel combination I have used, the R8+RF28 STM comes close, but is significantly bigger.

The 'hybrid' viewfinder in the XV100VI looks very interesting to me, I hope that style gets adopted by more manufacturers for fixed lens cameras.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

el peso

EOS R6 Mark II
Sep 13, 2019
I hate retro. There's a reason we move on to the modern "ugly" ergonomic superior designs.

Those who love retro usually use the camera as props to shoot Instagram/tiktok.

Fuji X100VI is raising over 2500 USD-equivalent in Hong Kong... Seriously with this price might as well buy a Leica.
Another Fyudzee cam is just a child of hype. Nothing special. It's good to make shots of it :)

• Haha
Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Even though I don't understand that hype around retro style cams, I understand that Canon makes one as there is a market for it.
As long as this does not delay the development of ergonomic R1, R5 II and other R bodies ;)

Once again, I thank Luigi Colani for modern cam design, starting with the T90.

Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Hasn't design moved on over the years to improve ergonomics?
Retro appears to mean going backward in usability but appeals to nostalgia or those looking for a particular aesthetic?

It depends who you are and what you do with your cameras. As a photo person, give me the simple and "retro" ergonomics of Leica's SL & Q cameras over anything Canon, Nikon or Sony currently make.

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Hasn't design moved on over the years to improve ergonomics?
Retro appears to mean going backward in usability but appeals to nostalgia or those looking for a particular aesthetic?
The rumour is about a fixed lens camera, so a lot of the modern ergonomics aren't as important, since you can't attach a heavy lens. Having said that, the original cameras were basically empty boxes, modern ones have very dense parts (the battery!), so having a retro look with some updated ergonomics would be nice to have.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Some time ago, not so long ago, we had an almost retro camera with interchangeable lenses - the M6.
Canon should give us something like this instead of another fixed lens retro gadget.
The best combination would be a camera with a sensor from the R6 in an M6 body.

I'm still waiting for my M6mk3 or R equivanlent of M6km2 with tilt screen.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
It depends who you are and what you do with your cameras. As a photo person, give me the simple and "retro" ergonomics of Leica's SL & Q cameras over anything Canon, Nikon or Sony currently make.
I agree, it totally depends on your particular use case and what you expect from a camera. If I was doing wedding photography and was working 10h per day, I'd probably prioritize ergonomics and features over everything else.
But if I'm doing photography purely for the joy of taking pictures for myself, I totally get the appeal of a "beautiful" and compact camera. Of course what's considered beautiful is very objective, but for me a retro camera or a Fuji or Leica is a lot more beautiful than any camera canon produces.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
I agree, it totally depends on your particular use case and what you expect from a camera. If I was doing wedding photography and was working 10h per day, I'd probably prioritize ergonomics and features over everything else.
But if I'm doing photography purely for the joy of taking pictures for myself, I totally get the appeal of a "beautiful" and compact camera. Of course what's considered beautiful is very objective, but for me a retro camera or a Fuji or Leica is a lot more beautiful than any camera canon produces.
It would be hard to find a camera with better ergonomics than a Leica M. It's not at all about nostalgia!

Upvote 0
Buddy of mine recently acquired the Nikon Zf. He brought it over for me to check out and it's really slick. I wouldn't use it for professional work because it's simply not comfortable to hold in the hands for an all day shoot, but for the "cool factor" I really liked it and would certainly use it for vacations or just street photography. I was really hoping Canon would come out with something similar... and then I see this... a "fixed lens" camera? Canon never ceases to amaze me in how they can disappoint their loyal customers.

Upvote 0