Fixed lens “Retro” camera coming from Canon?

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Thanks. I will try and notice this in the future.
This is a 300% zoom of a picture I used to evaluate the CF profiles, it is not the most extreme example I have, but the one that was easiest to find in my catalog :)
Scherm­afbeelding 2024-03-25 om 10.48.25.png
LR+CF profile is virtually identical to either SooC JPEG or CR3+DPP4, LR+Adobe profile gives me the strange zombie effect when using the M6II and R7. The RP, R5 and R8 don't show that effect, but I find that the colours improve a lot when using the CF profiles for those as well.

I could get better skintones (compared to Adobe) when creating my own profile using a colorchecker passport, but it turns out that I like Canon colours more than actually accurate colours :)
And for colours where Canon historically messed things up, like very bright reds (the 7D mega firmware update improved those) or bright purples like fuchsia, the generated profile seemed to clip a lot sooner than expected. So I'm sticking with the CF profiles for the time being.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
I hope not.
I always hated the Velvia colors a la "my grass is greener, my skin is rosier and my sky is bluer than yours".
If you enjoy flashy saturated to death colors like in CSI Miami, I'm fine with it, your choice. But fortunately not Canon's.
Kitsch sells, unfortunately...
That is the entire point of Fuji having so many film emulations.
You can pick the look that you like best.
If you prefer the Canon look then don't bother with Fuji.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
That is the entire point of Fuji having so many film emulations.
You can pick the look that you like best.
If you prefer the Canon look then don't bother with Fuji.
I have used many Fujichromes, Sensia (if I'm not mistaken...) was for my purposes a great choice. Quite neutral, fine grain, a good alternative to the Ektachromes.
It's not the Fuji slide films I disliked, only the Velvia. Yet, a perfect film for travel-agency ads.
:cry: I still miss the Kodachrome 64 :cry:

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
I hope not.
I always hated the Velvia colors a la "my grass is greener, my skin is rosier and my sky is bluer than yours".
If you enjoy flashy saturated to death colors like in CSI Miami, I'm fine with it, your choice. But fortunately not Canon's.
Kitsch sells, unfortunately...
Yes, many of the Fuji colours are over the top. But, it is a look that may work for some projects.

Upvote 0

TwoWheeler

Pointlessly lugs heavy expensive gear around.
Nov 9, 2023
Indeed. I bought my first DSLR when my infant became a toddler, and the timing was not merely a coincidence.
Pretty sure the spec chart lists “frames per minute” and it’s in the single digits.

My Olympus CamMedia was what prompted me to get back into photography after getting tired of paying good money for bad pictures with my film camera.

The Oly was also what prompted me to buy my first DSLR when I got tired of running into the limitations of the Oly.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Pretty sure the spec chart lists “frames per minute” and it’s in the single digits.

My Olympus CamMedia was what prompted me to get back into photography after getting tired of paying good money for bad pictures with my film camera.

The Oly was also what prompted me to buy my first DSLR when I got tired of running into the limitations of the Oly.
Indeed. I started with a 1 MP Olympus, then got a C765UZ (ultra zoom, FFeq 38-380mm). Very retro.

765UZ.png

For all that it was a 4 MP P&S with a 1/2.5" sensor (crop factor of 6.0), it took some decent images.

MoundMonitor.jpg

PussyCat.jpg

SmellingFlowers.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
Indeed. I started with a 1 MP Olympus, then got a C765UZ (ultra zoom, FFeq 38-380mm). Very retro.

View attachment 215639

For all that it was a 4 MP P&S with a 1/2.5" sensor (crop factor of 6.0), it took some decent images.

View attachment 215640

View attachment 215641

View attachment 215642
In my "film era", I) used them all. Kodak, Exakta, Rolleiflex, Leica M, Leicaflex , Leica R, Minolta, Fujica, Nikon, but never a Canon. When digital came, so came the nightmare in the shape of a Sony A7*, the deliverance had the shape of an EOS 5D III, Leica M 240, M11 and of an Olympus E PL*.
PS: Waiting impatiently for Canon's next with eye-AF (R5 II or R1). In happen to really need this feature, for me THE revolution!
PPS: Very nice pictures, especially the beautiful one of the gorilla! :love::love::love:

Upvote 0