Canon EOS R5 firmware update [CR2]

Birdshooter

R3 and R5
Oct 14, 2019
I think that just about seals it for me... this constant teasing is like a back street burlesque show... big on expectation, expensive to enter, but low on delivery. I dusted off a couple of old Sony bodies (very old, 10+ years) and I was amazed at how good they were... even has IBIS !, an articulated screen, intuitive menus, cleaver features and 14mp images in raw. Why did I ever switch to Canon ? Why did I invest in EF glass ? I am struggling to understand my kit choices back in those days. Well, Sony looks super cool now and the lens choices exceed and features pretty well match Canon these days. Who needs 8K video anyway with overheating and only 30 min record time ! ? Even 8K TV's are struggling to find a market. I therefore have 3 Canon bodies, lenses, batteries and assorted other bits for sale. Hello Sony, sorry ... I know it's been a long time, please forgive me.
See you later... hope Sony treats you well... bye bye, so long, farewell, see ya, arrivederci
But before you go, you do realize that this is a "rumor" site where things said are often from the rumor mill... ahahaha

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

ruralmontanan

R5 w/ 100-500mm
Jun 12, 2023
I like Canon's products but not the way it treats its customers.
Same here. It really does impact the way I buy gear at this point. I’m always looking for a competitor to step up and give me a reason to purchase over Canon. But this is the thing—Canon doesn’t care what we think ultimately. They know as soon as their sales start to suffer a little, they give the people what they want momentarily to stifle the bleeding and they’ll wait a bit and go right back to their stingy, arrogant ways. And everyone who is brand loyal to them will parrot for them, “They’re in the business to profit and they’re the best at it. I think they know their market and business better than you do” True. But it really does leave a bad taste in their customers’ mouth. I’ve shot all brands at this point and Canon is the only one that thinks so little of their customers.

I love the R5 and have enjoyed the firmware updates that we’ve gotten. I’m not upset about this one not happening—I’ve gotten my money’s worth already. But I’m speaking to the overall attitude Canon has and the constant rug pulling, carrot dangling, feature removing, mount closing, price increasing, aperture drift, parts recycling, etc. I invested early into the RF system and despite the products being excellent I’m always flirting with Sony and Nikon because I don’t want my money going to Canon. They make excellent products but I hate the company. That’s not great brand awareness for them at the end of the day.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Same here. It really does impact the way I buy gear at this point. I’m always looking for a competitor to step up and give me a reason to purchase over Canon. But this is the thing—Canon doesn’t care what we think ultimately. They know as soon as their sales start to suffer a little, they give the people what they want momentarily to stifle the bleeding and they’ll wait a bit and go right back to their stingy, arrogant ways. And everyone who is brand loyal to them will parrot for them, “They’re in the business to profit and they’re the best at it. I think they know their market and business better than you do” True. But it really does leave a bad taste in their customers’ mouth. I’ve shot all brands at this point and Canon is the only one that thinks so little of their customers.

I love the R5 and have enjoyed the firmware updates that we’ve gotten. I’m not upset about this one not happening—I’ve gotten my money’s worth already. But I’m speaking to the overall attitude Canon has and the constant rug pulling, carrot dangling, feature removing, mount closing, price increasing, aperture drift, parts recycling, etc. I invested early into the RF system and despite the products being excellent I’m always flirting with Sony and Nikon because I don’t want my money going to Canon. They make excellent products but I hate the company. That’s not great brand awareness for them at the end of the day.
You are making it sounds like only Canon has this problem. The recent Sony is no better.

Upvote 0
I think that just about seals it for me... this constant teasing is like a back street burlesque show... big on expectation, expensive to enter, but low on delivery. I dusted off a couple of old Sony bodies (very old, 10+ years) and I was amazed at how good they were... even has IBIS !, an articulated screen, intuitive menus, cleaver features and 14mp images in raw. Why did I ever switch to Canon ? Why did I invest in EF glass ? I am struggling to understand my kit choices back in those days. Well, Sony looks super cool now and the lens choices exceed and features pretty well match Canon these days. Who needs 8K video anyway with overheating and only 30 min record time ! ? Even 8K TV's are struggling to find a market. I therefore have 3 Canon bodies, lenses, batteries and assorted other bits for sale. Hello Sony, sorry ... I know it's been a long time, please forgive me.
A-mount Sony SLT has poor high ISOs, the excellent 42MP CMOS on a99ii is wasted.

Why keep overrating Sony's IBIS?
Who needs a1's 8K video anyway with overheating on some samples ! ? Who needs a6700/ZV-E1 anyway with 4K60~4K120 overheating ! ?

Do you know how long it took until some good 3rd party E-mount lenses???? 8 years.

You don't need to tell anyone here you are moving to Sony. No one cares. Just like nobody cares if I'm actually spend more on Sony gear than Canon but wasn't pleased with Sony.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012

Companies do have a fiduciary responsibility towards their shareholders but unless they are totally ruthless should also act in the best interests of their staff, customers and society in general. It would be a happier world if they did.

Upvote 0

Steve Balcombe

Too much gear
Aug 1, 2014
Sure Canon. Why update your software/hardware when you can gin up your bank account by selling the sheeple a new camera with one hardware change and get another five grand US. I'm done chasing the 'must have'. Clearly Canon is copying the Apple iPhone syndrome. I almost wonder if Canon doesn't feed CR and others fake updates to keep them in the 'news' and claim 'but this was a rumor and not official PR'.
You haven't had universal support for your comment but I'm with you. It's very frustrating having an R5, and an R7 which cost me a third of the price and has improvements which could easily be ported to the R5 but Canon hasn't done it. Will this policy help Canon to sell more R5 Mark IIs? Or will it make people think twice before pouring more money into a company which doesn't support its existing customer base?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

danfaz

Coffee Fiend
Jul 14, 2015
www.1fineklick.com
Why keep overrating Sony's IBIS?
Who needs a1's 8K video anyway with overheating on some samples ! ? Who needs a6700/ZV-E1 anyway with 4K60~4K120 overheating ! ?

Do you know how long it took until some good 3rd party E-mount lenses???? 8 years.
Yeah, it makes me wonder why some people think other brands are so perfect, i.e.: don't overheat, have flawless AF, have every single lens right from the start of the mount, don't have "outrageously" expensive lenses, etc.

Perhaps time should be spent in the other brand forums, or other photography sites. Then, folks would see these brands aren't perfect. I've seen plenty of complaints on these forums/sites, very similar to this one. Other brands overheat. Other brands have not-so-great lenses.
Other brands have expensive 1st party lenses and didn't have a full line of 3rd party lenses right from the start...

Upvote 0
Sep 11, 2014
If by "they said" you mean whoever sent the rumor/tip into CR then yes, "they said" that.

If I tell you that you'll get a free 28-70/2 in the mail tomorrow, then you don't get it, will you be disappointed? I'd suggest considering anything other than a CR3 post here to have that level of reliability. And treat a CR3 post with the reliability of a statement that you might get a coupon in the mail tomorrow that's actually useful to you.

This is BS....my mail came and no 28-70.

• Haha
Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
You haven't had universal support for your comment but I'm with you. It's very frustrating having an R5, and an R7 which cost me a third of the price and has improvements which could easily be ported to the R5 but Canon hasn't done it. Will this policy help Canon to sell more R5 Mark IIs? Or will it make people think twice before pouring more money into a company which doesn't support its existing customer base?
Which improvements could be easily ported?

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Which improvements could be easily ported?
Canon has said that a number of these improvements are due to recent variants of the Digic X being more power efficient and the one in the R5 won't be able to use them. I take that with a huge grain of salt, but I do notice that my R8 stays cooler recording oversampled 4k60 than my R5 when recording 4k30. So there has been a big leap in efficiency on the hardware front when my R8 can record the same amount of high quality video on a single battery as my R5, when the R5 has twice the mAh!

But things like resizable AF zones are features that shouldn't require better efficiency, so I'd say those are straight forward to implement on the R5/R6.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Canon has said that a number of these improvements are due to recent variants of the Digic X being more power efficient and the one in the R5 won't be able to use them. I take that with a huge grain of salt, but I do notice that my R8 stays cooler recording oversampled 4k60 than my R5 when recording 4k30. So there has been a big leap in efficiency on the hardware front when my R8 can record the same amount of high quality video on a single battery as my R5, when the R5 has twice the mAh!

But things like resizable AF zones are features that shouldn't require better efficiency, so I'd say those are straight forward to implement on the R5/R6.
Also being able to change ES fps and adding a fake noise would not seem to be a great feat of technology using huge power.

Upvote 0

mdcmdcmdc

EOS R7, M5, 100 (film), Sony α6400
CR Pro
Sep 4, 2020
Sure Canon. Why update your software/hardware when you can gin up your bank account by selling the sheeple a new camera with one hardware change and get another five grand US. I'm done chasing the 'must have'. Clearly Canon is copying the Apple iPhone syndrome. I almost wonder if Canon doesn't feed CR and others fake updates to keep them in the 'news' and claim 'but this was a rumor and not official PR'.
I have a question for you. And an assignment.

First the question: What feature(s) did Canon advertise in the R5 that have not been implemented yet? Please include links to Canon advertising material.

Now the assignment: The day after the R5 Mark II ships, come back here and tell us everything that the R5 (Mk I) no longer does that it could do the day before.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

RunAndGun

CR Pro
Dec 16, 2011
After all, the moment that we decide to sell our R5 for a mark ii, we might as well switch to other brands.
That makes zero sense. Why would a newer model that possibly has more/better features make you want to jump brands? Getting a new body is simply that. Switching brands is generally going to require a wholesale change in not only lenses, but batteries and other brand specific accessories. I guess if you only have one or two lenses, whatever, but most people that are laying out that kind of money on a body are probably heavily vested in lenses for the system, as well.

But I’m sure all the camera manufacturers would absolutely love if everyone had your same philosophy and willingness to dump their current brand/system that they may have spent (easily) five figures on and do it again with them, this time instead.

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I have a question for you. And an assignment.

First the question: What feature(s) did Canon advertise in the R5 that have not been implemented yet? Please include links to Canon advertising material.

Now the assignment: The day after the R5 Mark II ships, come back here and tell us everything that the R5 (Mk I) no longer does that it could do the day before.
I have a question for you. Buy your Canon/Sony/Nikon and you get the firmware capabilities it started with and expect no more. Buy your MacBook and you get the new features in the operating systems in the next few generations of the laptop. So, what do you prefer, a company that looks after its existing customers by keeping them up to date in software and gets new custom by improvements in hardware or one that uses improvements in software/firmware capabilities as a temptation to upgrade?

(Nikon did make strides in the firmware of the Z9 but that was because the camera was released with indequate firmware.

Upvote 0
I believe giving up on R5 without a rather major update of especially object detection and tracking is a risky gamble. R5 is still the king of R series for many, and I really love so many things about it. But just look at this street photography example with the latest firmware on R5. I just wonder how on earth, with 4 faces in the frame, R5 face detection has picked that wall in the corner - a total disappointment for a street photographer who counts on the first moments of an encounter for a candid shot! I strongly believe if they want to maintain their historic good reputation, R5 matters a lot! And R5 mark I should not stay like this. After all, the moment that we decide to sell our R5 for a mark ii, we might as well switch to other brands.

View attachment 211159

Long time lurker, but had to register, because I was curious about your set up in this scenario?

What is your Initial Servo AF Point setting set at? In this type of scenario, I would set it to the first option, point the focus box and the person I want to be in focus, activate focus system, and recompose while holding the focus button then take the shot. This is also the method I set when shooting sports to get the exact person I want in focus, where as in auto it just randomly picks a person and you have to toggle around the people.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-08-30 at 9.17.50 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-08-30 at 9.17.50 AM.png
    499.9 KB · Views: 1
Upvote 0

mdcmdcmdc

CR Pro
Sep 4, 2020
I have a question for you. Buy your Canon/Sony/Nikon and you get the firmware capabilities it started with and expect no more. Buy your MacBook and you get the new features in the operating systems in the next few generations of the laptop. So, what do you prefer, a company that looks after its existing customers by keeping them up to date in software and gets new custom by improvements in hardware or one that uses improvements in software/firmware capabilities as a temptation to upgrade?

(Nikon did make strides in the firmware of the Z9 but that was because the camera was released with indequate firmware.
Relating that back to my original post, my 2020 M1 MacBook Pro still does everything it did when it was new, despite newer/faster/shinier M2 and M3 models being released. That 2020 MacBook Pro, incidentally, replaced a 2013 iMac, which Apple had stopped supporting in macOS updates several years before. And when that happened, unlike the author of the post that I replied to, I didn't respond by insulting Apple and all the customers who bought the newer models.

To answer your question, I find most major software and OS version updates to be more disruptive to my familiar workflows than beneficial for any new features that I didn't ask for in the first place (new emoji, yippee!). I do expect the vendors to patch security vulnerabilities for a reasonable time, and I install those patches when they become available. But I generally hold off on the major OS updates until I am forced to apply them in order to use other software that I do need.

I appreciate that Apple, Adobe, and many other software vendors let me decide if and when I want to install their updates. Others, like Microsoft and Mozilla, jam them down your throat, ready or not.

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
To answer your question, I find most major software and OS version updates to be more disruptive to my familiar workflows than beneficial for any new features that I didn't ask for in the first place (new emoji, yippee!). I do expect the vendors to patch security vulnerabilities for a reasonable time, and I install those patches when they become available. But I generally hold off on the major OS updates until I am forced to apply them in order to use other software that I do need.

I appreciate that Apple, Adobe, and many other software vendors let me decide if and when I want to install their updates. Others, like Microsoft and Mozilla, jam them down your throat, ready or not.
You haven't answered my question:

Upvote 0

mdcmdcmdc

CR Pro
Sep 4, 2020
You haven't answered my question:
I addressed the situation you asked about regarding operating system upgrades to my MacBook. The actual alternatives you presented are a false dichotomy.

What you're losing sight of is that Canon has already provided significant new features to the R5 in firmware upgrades, more than any other R series body, and maybe more than any DSLR ever (I recall a big 7D Mark I firmware upgrade about 10-12 years ago, but I'm not going to research all of that).

I think the real issue is that you and the other guy and many other R5 owners are simply resentful of the (rumored) upcoming Mark II. Once the R5II is out, the R5I will go from being the darling-child of the Canon lineup to just another legacy product.

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I addressed the situation you asked about regarding operating system upgrades to my MacBook. The actual alternatives you presented are a false dichotomy.

What you're losing sight of is that Canon has already provided significant new features to the R5 in firmware upgrades, more than any other R series body, and maybe more than any DSLR ever (I recall a big 7D Mark I firmware upgrade about 10-12 years ago, but I'm not going to research all of that).

I think the real issue is that you and the other guy and many other R5 owners are simply resentful of the (rumored) upcoming Mark II. Once the R5II is out, the R5I will go from being the darling-child of the Canon lineup to just another legacy product.
I asked a straightforward general question about commercial practices. I made it absolutely crystal clear that it was a general question by phrasing it as encompassing Canon/Sony/Nikon and their ethos versus others like Apple. It's certainly not based on any resentment about the R5ii in particular - I accept that I will have to upgrade my Canon gear as I have done through 7D, 7DII; 70D, 80D, 90D; 5DIII, 5Div; M2, M5 etc. The 7D major upgrade, which I appreciated at the time, is detailed here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canon_EOS_7D

Upvote 0