More features coming to Canon EOS R5 in future firmware [CR2]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Canon released firmware v1.8.1 for the Canon EOS R5 last week. The big feature added was Canon’s first implementation of “pixel-shift” called IBIS High-Resolution shooting. The initial impressions of this feature weren’t all that positive, but that may get better over time. We have been told that further firmware updates are coming. It was suggested

See full article...

Reactions: 1 user

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
Canon released firmware v1.8.1 for the Canon EOS R5 last week. The big feature added was Canon’s first implementation of “pixel-shift” called IBIS High-Resolution shooting. The initial impressions of this feature weren’t all that positive, but that may get better over time. We have been told that further firmware updates are coming. It was suggested

See full article...
Have a look at the latest examples from the "It’s time to fill those memory cards. Canon releases firmware v1.8.1 for the Canon EOS R5. 400mp stills are now possible" thread - with effort (and extreme stability) it actually seems to work properly!

Upvote 0

fr34k

Canon R5 and lots of RF glass
Jul 16, 2022
Well, I'm excited what will come. So v1.9.x in July/August and v2.0.x in November/December and a R5 II in March/April, this seems very interesting.
Hopefully, v2.0 is what a v2.0 should be: a massive upgrade. I can't wait.
Ending the R5 Mark I era with a massive 2.0 and then announcing a Mark II a few months later would be a bold statement to all other manufacturers along the likes of: "We're at the top, we'll stay at the top and we'll dunk on ya once more."

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Well, I'm excited what will come. So v1.9.x in July/August and v2.0.x in November/December and a R5 II in March/April, this seems very interesting.
Ending the R5 Mark I era with a massive 2.0 and then announcing a Mark II a few months later would be a bold statement to all other manufacturers along the likes of: "We're at the top, we'll stay at the top and we'll dunk on ya once more."
I feel that the R6 could use one more update.

Upvote 0
Since Canon have been putting a lot of effort into the R5 firmware I'm thinking the R5 II would still be a while away yet. Adding these new features to an existing model could be a good real world test to fix any bugs and make them better for the R5 II. A genuine question I have is which hardware upgrades would a R5 II have over the original to make it worthwhile upgrading?

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
It‘s good to see that Canon is willing to implement new features in „old“ HW.
Others might say „Buy a new Mk II“ instead.
A few thoughts:

The number of people willing to fork out $5000 for a R5ii body, when they already have the truly excellent R5, is probably quite small. It's in Canon's interests to keep current users happy, and to provide potential purchasers of the R5 with a body that is competitive with recent Nikon and Sony cameras. They are also very aware that all the other brands provide extra features via firmware updates, and they can't afford to be left out of the race.

Eventually the point will be reached where existing hardware can't support certain new features, e.g.:

eye-control AF selection
AF smart controller
machine-learning subject detection
hi-res EVF
bigger/better sensor
elimination of mechanical shutter
new flash shoe

I think a lot of folk will be hanging on to their R5 until these hardware features become available in the "R5ii".

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Since Canon have been putting a lot of effort into the R5 firmware I'm thinking the R5 II would still be a while away yet. Adding these new features to an existing model could be a good real world test to fix any bugs and make them better for the R5 II. A genuine question I have is which hardware upgrades would a R5 II have over the original to make it worthwhile upgrading?
All those in my post above, plus:

new more powerful battery
more powerful processor
ergonomic changes e.g. button placement
hybrid tilt/flippy screen

Upvote 0
A few thoughts:

The number of people willing to fork out $5000 for a R5ii body, when they already have the truly excellent R5, is probably quite small. It's in Canon's interests to keep current users happy, and to provide potential purchasers of the R5 with a body that is competitive with recent Nikon and Sony cameras. They are also very aware that all the other brands provide extra features via firmware updates, and they can't afford to be left out of the race.

Eventually the point will be reached where existing hardware can't support certain new features, e.g.:

eye-control AF selection
AF smart controller
machine-learning subject detection
hi-res EVF
bigger/better sensor
elimination of mechanical shutter
new flash shoe

I think a lot of folk will be hanging on to their R5 until these hardware features become available in the "R5ii".
yes, I have a few specs for the upcoming R5 Mark II,

1. 61 Full-Frame Stacked BSI CMOS Sensors,
2. No mechanical shutter. Electronic shutter speed is variable and high (30-40 frames per second.)
4. Sensor Read out speed at R3 level or faster.
4. High resolution LCD as in R3, (4.2m-Dot )
5. Dot EVF with increased resolution,
6. 8K 60fps and more detailed options. (There may be a time limit for 60 fps)
7. Dual CFexpress Memory Card Slots.
8. Moving the power button to the left, like the Canon R6 Mark II.
9. Of course, much more advanced Auto focus and tracking features.
10. Advanced Focus-breathing compensation

there may be some shortcomings. My guess is this. :)

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
The images from the pixel shift function are never going to approach 400mpix resolution because none of the RF lenses are capable of this resolution and no amount of pixel shifting or indeed replacing the 45mpix sensor with a 400mpix one would change that. At best the colour improves (because each pixel now has RGB values), any moire is reduced and a small amount of extra resolution is teased from the lens. The pixel size of the R5 is 4.4microns - for 400mpix the effective pixel size must be 1.4microns - that is the same size as the main diffraction lobe of a perfectly corrected F2 lens. I suspect any perceived gain in resolution is similar to AI upscale in programs like Topaz - they essentially guess what is missing. The test is to photograph something more random - that 45mpix provides no information on - pixel shift or AI can’t restore the lost information (if they are we need to talk to NASA as they are then breaking the laws of physics!) - completely pointless upgrade.

Upvote 0

TonyG

R5
Oct 17, 2022
Toronto
yes, I have a few specs for the upcoming R5 Mark II,

1. 61 Full-Frame Stacked BSI CMOS Sensors,
2. No mechanical shutter. Electronic shutter speed is variable and high (30-40 frames per second.)
4. Sensor Read out speed at R3 level or faster.
4. High resolution LCD as in R3, (4.2m-Dot )
5. Dot EVF with increased resolution,
6. 8K 60fps and more detailed options. (There may be a time limit for 60 fps)
7. Dual CFexpress Memory Card Slots.
8. Moving the power button to the left, like the Canon R6 Mark II.
9. Of course, much more advanced Auto focus and tracking features.
10. Advanced Focus-breathing compensation

there may be some shortcomings. My guess is this. :)
Hate to say this, but this sounds more like the R1 than the R5ii.
I wouldn’t expect to see a stacked sensor.
If you look at the current line up, there is a pattern leading up to the R1
R6 - low res cmos sensor
R5 - high res cmos sensor
R3 - low res stacked sensor
R1 - high res stacked sensor??

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

TonyG

R5
Oct 17, 2022
Toronto
I doubt the R5ii will be released spring if 2024. The R1 is supposed to be released for the 2024 olympics. Because of all the marketing hype and a healthy sales strategy, you wouldn’t want to hurt your sales by superseding a new product with an even better product. I think they would release the R1 first since there is a user base waiting for it, especially for the olympics, then maybe in the fall of 2024 once the R1 hype has plateaued would it make more sense to release the R5ii with trickled down R1 features, or spring of 2025. Especially since the R5 is still a viable camera today and they’re still pushing more firmware upgrades.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Hate to say this, but this sounds more like the R1 than the R5ii.
I wouldn’t expect to see a stacked sensor.
If you look at the current line up, there is a pattern leading up to the R1
R6 - low res cmos sensor
R5 - high res cmos sensor
R3 - low res stacked sensor
R1 - high res stacked sensor??
The sensor feature order you mention is not a law. In my opinion, the Cmos sensor standard will be gradually removed from now on.

These are my predictions, ;)

Upvote 0