Search results

1. Northstar

6 Photographers Asked to Shoot Portraits of one man, with a Twist

I really enjoyed this short video so I thought I would share....from PetaPixel. "Canon recently conducted an interesting experiment on the power of perspective in portrait photography. They enlisted the help of 6 photographers and asked them each to independently shoot portraits of a man named...
  2. Northstar

Canon 1DX maintenance?

I've hit roughly 70,000 clicks on my 1dx and I'm wondering if it's about time to send it in for a clean and check? Is there a general recommendation/rule that I should be following? I've recently started to notice my keeper rate is significantly down (shooting sports) and I'm wondering if a...
  3. Northstar

Happy 4th of July! - Post your United States Flag photo

Independence Day in the US! Post your US flag photo Took this shot this morning while out looking for something interesting to photograph. It was mostly sunny out, but dark skies loomed on the horizon and I used those dark clouds as the background for this photo. 5d3 and 300 2.8IS w/ 1.4xiii.
  4. Northstar

Need some tech advice on backup storage please.

Hello! I have a 1TB iMac that is backed up using time machine and a WD portable 1TB hard drive. The problem is that the portable HD is nearly full, so I'm looking for suggestions on how to proceed and what to buy. I mainly use the WD backup for photos and videos. I have all my favorite...
  5. Northstar

Heading to Tucson, AZ for vacation, can anybody give me advice...

Heading to Tucson for vacation and I'm bringing my 5d3, 24-70, 70-200, and small tripod. I've never been to Tucson. I'm open to suggestions and advice on where to go and things to photograph. I plan on taking some morning hikes, are there any spectacular areas/views that I should see and...
  6. Northstar

Continuous burst speed on 5D3 with new Lexar 1000x

I recently bought two new Lexar 1000x 150 mb/s - 95 mb/s(write) cards. I had(still have) two SD CF Extreme pro 95 mb/s. (45 mb/s) cards. I wanted to see if there was much difference between the two when shooting action. I did a simple high speed FPS test between two CF cards on a 5d3 to see...
  7. Northstar

What gear does a Pro photographer bring to photograph the Olympics....

I posted this somewhere else, but I thought it deserved its own thread because I believe some of you "gear heads" (myself included) would find it interesting. Thinking or OVER THINKING: packing for that 'Big Assignment' USA TODAY's Robert Hanashiro shares how he packed for his 12th Olympics...
  8. Northstar

Getty Images Sochi Olympics image workflow..Wow!

From the article link below... At the Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics in Russia, Getty Images has set up a state-of-the-art fibre optic network in conjunction with the AP, AFP, Reuters and EPA wire agencies to deliver these gold medal moments in record time. Consisting of 20 kilometres of cable, the...
  9. Northstar

Winter Olympics....anyone going?

With the Winter Olympics coming soon, I'm curious if any of the thousands of photographers here on CR will be going? If you are going, what gear are you going to bring, and what will you be shooting?
  10. Northstar

Camera and Lens coming from 20 degrees outside to 70 degrees inside

I live in the north where it's regularly 20 degrees (-7 celsius) this time of year, and I'm regularly moving my gear from outside to inside. I've seen many questions on how to avoid condensation / damage to your gear when doing this, so I did a little experiment last night. My gear sat in my...
  11. Northstar

Thinking of getting a Mac Air or a MacBook Pro...can't decide, thoughts?

I was looking to pick up a Mac Air because I want something light and convenient for viewing and editing photos in the field...but then I noticed the Retina display on the MacBook Pro, the resolution is so much greater than the Air...and more power. It would be mainly for viewing and editing...
  12. Northstar

Heading to Scottsdale, AZ..anyone with suggestions for landscape photography?

Traveling to AZ in the near future, anybody with some interesting landscape photo opportunities for me to explore in that area? Maybe a particular regional or state park? Maybe a particular canyon or mountain range? I'm not that familiar with the area but I will have a car and some time.
  13. Northstar

I'm not much of a techie, need some advice on my iMac...

I have an iMac that I bought new about a year ago - i5 processor and 8GB of ram. My question...when working with large 50-100GB RAW files (in Aperture) I notice that the computer slows down, so I'm wondering if another 8GB of ram to bring it up to 16GB would help much? Would it be a little...
  14. Northstar

GigaPan - check out some of these Gigapan images - 272 GIGApixels?

http://gigapan.com/gigapans?order=most_popular I thought my fellow CR members would appreciate some of these Gigapan Photos that I stumbled across today. Click on each image and zoom in for a close look...."wow" is all I could think. There's a shot of the city of Shanghia that is 272...
  15. Northstar

why does it seem that my 5d3 and 1DX both under expose in auto ISO..anybody?

don't shoot studio...it's action action action and both my cameras underexpose regularly by 1/2 to 3/4 stop....anybody with thoughts on this?
  16. Northstar

Need a little help with 300mm 2.8 IS that I just bought used...

I just received the lens and started playing around with it and immediately noticed that when the IS is turned on, it makes a clearly audible "whirring" sound while focusing and for 2-3 seconds after focus is locked. When IS is off, no "whirring" sound. I have several lenses with IS and I've...
  17. Northstar

it's official, nikon d800 now $2800 and d600 kit $2000(w 24-85)

Ok...the d600 sales must be terrible to discount it this much this soon...D800 probably just a holiday thing. Thoughts anybody?
  18. Northstar

Does anybody think the 1dx price will come down for the holidays...why?

Looking to buy a 1dx but wondering about a price drop for the holidays. Does anybody remember from past experience how long after release the 1 series bodies price declined?
  19. Northstar

oh oh, impulse purchase..gopro hero3...

Is anybody else as impressed as i am with the specs and capabilities of this tiny camera for $400? Anyway, i decided i have to try it out. http://m.cnet.com/news/tiny-gopro-hero-3-black-edition-captures-4k-video/57533878?ds=1
  20. Northstar

About to buy the 135L, and then saw this....

I'm not a big fan of DXOMark but at the end of the day I'll peruse all available review sites when making a buying decision. So when looking at their lens reviews, I noticed that they give the Canon 85 1.8 the HIGHEST resolution score of ANY lens they've reviewed...including nikon, zeiss...