Canon 1DX maintenance?

I've hit roughly 70,000 clicks on my 1dx and I'm wondering if it's about time to send it in for a clean and check? Is there a general recommendation/rule that I should be following?

I've recently started to notice my keeper rate is significantly down (shooting sports) and I'm wondering if a clean and check would help.

Thanks in advance for your help and advice!

north

Mar 25, 2011
Its not a bad idea to use your CPS clean and check coupons once a year. It seems more likely that a low keeper rate is lens related, so I'd have your most used lenses checked as well. Its the lens internals that move quickly during AF, there are a lot of things going on in the lens that can affect AF accuracy or consistency. Only the mirror/sub mirror and shutter is moving in the camera. The sub mirror can cause issues if it hangs up, but I'm not sure what the symptom would be.

Upvote 0
tpatana said:
I've been wondering the same with my 5D3. I think I'm around 100k or so.

Problem is that there's never good time to send it out :( There's always something fun to shoot, so I cannot part with my camera...

That's where CPS comes in - though I admit that it is very different from country to country (both in entry and service etc).

Upvote 0
I had mine in for cleaning and check after about 50k, primarily to clean the sensor. It turned out that the particles I had on the sensor was from a part that was wearing down. Apparently a known fault, which had slipped my attention. Everything was fixed and I probably have another 50k exposures now and the camera still performs as new.

Upvote 0
Jun 25, 2012
Canada
Eldar said:
I had mine in for cleaning and check after about 50k, primarily to clean the sensor. It turned out that the particles I had on the sensor was from a part that was wearing down. Apparently a known fault, which had slipped my attention. Everything was fixed and I probably have another 50k exposures now and the camera still performs as new.

That part that's wearing down I believe is the reason why particles also continually get thrown up into the viewfinder of the camera.

Upvote 0