Search results

1. M

Canon officially announces the RF 24-240mm f/4-6.3 IS STM

I know I'm late to the party on this, but I've been staying off CR (to avoid being tempted to spend more money) and this lens on EF is kind of my white whale. Before autofocus was a thing, the rule in photojournalism and documentary photography was "F/8 and Be There." It is still true today...
  2. M

Is anyone interested in this new EL-100?

I'm popping into this old thread because I just learned about this EL-100. There has been a practice of macro photographers rigging up the 270EXII's to serve as cheap macro flashes similar to the MT-24. I never made the jump on the 270 because I was waiting to see if a RT replacement came up...
  3. M

Ready to buy the EOS R, when . . .

I'm curious to see if they will use the 20mm flange distance to produce a 20 or 24mm pancake. If they do, that would be an amazing walkaround combo. Even if it isn't a pancake, they should be able to create some light and slim wide angle lenses that should be fun. The 35mm already looks great.
  4. M

Adapter for Canon DSLRs to use RF lenses?

The fact that Canon even built and produced a 28-70 f/2 zoom lens suggests that they are committed to the RF mount enough that we will see 5D and 1D type R bodies in the future. Until then, the reviews of the EOS R sound like it will do a fine job of capturing images with this lens. I have a...
  5. M

Patent: Canon RF 24-70mm f/2.8L IS & RF 24-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM

I agree, I've been waiting for that update as well. If they only roll it out on RF, though, I'll be quite annoyed. As much as it makes sense in the RF line, it also makes sense in the EF line.
  6. M

First time to Europe

I am a big fan of the 6D (I have one), but I recommend you stick with your own gear for this. You have developed a good all around kit, you are familiar with it, and you will feel more comfortable carrying it and thus take more and better pictures with it. If you want to roll light, take just...
  7. M

A new bag from Canon?

I kept flipping through the pictures, waiting to see a large, red "Canon" logo embroidered on there somewhere. Kudos to them for showing some restraint in that regard. The bags do look good.
  8. M

Video Capabilities Will Be at the Heart of All Future Canon Prosumer Camera Bodies [CR2]

That would be a fair reason not to hook the servo into the high end L lenses, but Canon has come out with at least one non-L lens that uses Nano USM that they could have put the servo connection on, the new 70-300 4-5.6 IS II. I see now that Dustin Abbott also noted this omission in his review...
  9. M

Video Capabilities Will Be at the Heart of All Future Canon Prosumer Camera Bodies [CR2]

So, why the lackluster output on servo zoom for lenses? Thus far, we have one servo controller with two fixed speeds, and it only works on one consumer-grade lens. On top of that, they just announced upgrades to two major L zoom lenses that don't include the servo connection. Imagine the...
  10. M

Buying lens from Walmart

People seem to be missing this point. You would not be buying from Walmart the authorized dealer, you would be buying from the unauthorized dealer and paying through Walmart. Huge difference. You can buy from Amazon (authorized), or from various third-party sellers (some authorized, some...
  11. M

The Canon Rumors Buyer's Guide Launches

This is a great resource, especially for new readers and first-time visitors. The thing that drove me to this site years ago was that I was looking for rumors of when a new Rebel t2i would come out and whether I should wait or get the t1i that was on the market. It was a tough thing to get a...
  12. M

Canon Announces the Macro Twin-Lite MT-26EX-RT Flash

Since the 430-EX-IIIRT is an RT-master, I've thought about using two on F-2 brackets. Not as heavy as the 600's, still a little ungainly, but the cost would be the same or less than the new twin lite. No remote needed, just the cable.
  13. M

Eclipse photo prep question/critique

I just put mine in the gallery. Powershot G1X, f/16, 1/1000, ISO 400, internal ND filter engaged. No solar filter, tripod, or meaningful preparation at all. JPG straight out of camera, ~50% crop. But a very enjoyable way to spend a lunch break.
  14. M

Cloudy in northern Illinois

Cloudy in northern Illinois http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?action=gallery;sa=view;id=252 Powershot G1X, f/16, 1/1000, ISO 400, internal ND filter engaged. No solar filter, tripod, or meaningful preparation at all. JPG straight out of camera, ~50% crop.
  15. M

Travel With One Prime Only? Italy Approaches.

I travelled to Madagascar with a crop sensor camera and only a 20mm/2.8 (32mm equivalent on full-frame) and a 100mm/2.8 macro. No regrets at the time, but today I think I'd go with a 16-35 and 70-200/300 combo instead. As much as I love the look and lighter weight of primes, the current round...
  16. M

Canon EF-S 35mm f/2.8 M IS STM Coming April 5, 2017 [CR3]

This is so disappointing. I understand the desire to fill a slot between the inexpensive 40mm 2.8 pancake and the mid-range 35mm 2.0 IS, but I don't understand prioritizing that over the complete lack of wide angle primes. There are no reasonably-priced, current, fast, autofocus prime lenses...
  17. M

What were your first Canons? Analog and or digital?

My first was the Canon A-1, which I bought used with the nifty fifty for probably $100 in the early nineties, when I was in junior high school. Eventually I added 28 and 135 mm primes via ebay. I used this into college, even in a B&W photography 101 class for art majors. I still have my...
  18. M

The Next Lens from Canon Will be an EF-S Prime

An EF-S 12 or 14mm, ideally at f/2.8, with autofocus would be great if it was reasonably priced. Anything from 17mm or wider would be good. When I started on crop, I relied heavily on the 20mm/2.8 for indoor shots, and frequently wished for a wider option.
  19. M

Why did that happen?

The front element of your lens, or the filter in front of your lens, may also need cleaning. That could make the flare from the backlighting even worse.
  20. M

Venus LAOWA 15mm f4 1:1 wide angle macro

This was what I am curious about. Are you doing anything to light these shots? We've seen a lot of discussion of lighting rigs for small macro, but I'm curious what you might do to light these larger subjects. Again, great shots. Laowa should pay you for these.