Search results

1. jthomson

Skylum Software announces Luminar 3 with Libraries, coming December 18, preorder now

Not the DAM they were hyping this time last year.
  2. jthomson

Skylum Software Releases The Luminar 2018 Jupiter Update

Windows version was released just before Christmas and was full of bugs,lacked many features and was slow as molasses, slower than Lightroom. It wasn't really usable, you couldn't even save files in the LMNR format. I haven't tried the new speedier version yet. The Mac version has been...
  3. jthomson

Macphun Starts Holiday Sale on Luminar 2018 for Windows & MacOS

Windows version is junk. Missing many features and slow as molasses. It can't even save files in the Luminar format yet. So it is not a lightroom replacement as regards to non destructive editing, you can't save your edits only a jpeg.
  4. jthomson

Ended: Macphun Luminar 2018 Discounts & Bonuses

Re: Black Friday: Macphun Luminar 2018 Discounts & Bonuses Not ready for prime time in windows. The following is the list of updates that the windows version needs. Its also slow as molasses on my i5 laptop, not so bad on Ryzen 1700 desktop but slower than Lightroom at opening a raw file to...
  5. jthomson

Adobe Announces Cloud-Based Lightroom CC

Now there are two different versions of "Lightroom" with different features to support. That makes it so much simpler. :o
  6. jthomson

Review: Canon EOS Rebel SL2

Tell that to the gamers over-clocking to 5.0 GHz ;D. One of the reasons Lightroom is considered slow is that raw file size has increased without a corresponding increase in CPU speed. More cores/threads don't help and adobe sucks at using the GPU.
  7. jthomson

Do You Wish Lightroom Was Quicker? Adobe Does Too

The very existence of photo mechanic should give them a great big clue ;D They need a browse/cull mode where you can look at the embedded JPEGs in the raw files to select discards quickly.
  8. jthomson

Canadian birds

Black Tern
  9. jthomson

Canon Announces the EOS 5D Mark IV DSLR

And they were almost giving away the 24-70/4L IS with the 7D2 kit.
  10. jthomson

Canon Announces the EOS 5D Mark IV DSLR

5D4 looks decent, but I think I'll stick with my 5D3. Nothing really compelling me to upgrade. Can we now start rumours about what we'd like to see in the 5D5? :)
  11. jthomson

So what is it about Canon?

It's the long lenses. The big whites. The fluorite lens elements. Nobody has anything better. You need to go greater than 300mm you go Canon. Sport photographers shoot ooc jpg, there is no five stop push.
  12. jthomson

1DX Mark II underexposed and pushed 5 stops from RAW image

Guess your friend never read that book by Bryan Peterson ! ;D Maybe a good book on flash would also be appropriate. Was listening to the grid yesterday . Scott Kelby had two pro's that shot the superbowl with the 1DXII (is that 412 in Roman Numerals?) and they both said that the noise is...
  13. jthomson

Canon EOS Rebel SL2 Coming for CP+ [CR1]

You won't get a pentaprism in a $600 dollar camera. And while the silly rubber rings don't cost much, the grooves they fit in do add costs.
  14. jthomson

Poll - 1DX Mark II: To Buy Or Not To Buy ...

Exactly! So many lenses, so little money. ;)
  15. jthomson

New Gear Resolutions 2016

New gear with more resolution. >:( Maybe a 50mp 5D. 8)
  16. jthomson

A-10s , F-16 and Warthogs!

that last picture shows why the F-35 is going to be a flop. It's trying to be all things to all people. The A-10 was brilliant (but ugly) as it was designed to fulfill one role and it does it very well. The army and the marines know that help has arrived and is there to stay when an A-10...
  17. jthomson

At long last, DXO aggregates all lens testing together

Must we keep flogging the DxO horse? Their score is a joke. Their software isn't.
  18. jthomson

DXO: Fair and Balanced

I still like their software. Their testing aggregate score is a joke and is recognized as such.
  19. jthomson

A-10s , F-16 and Warthogs!

By any chance have you been the beneficiary of close ground support by a Warthog? It's ugly as sin, but grunts love em. On an other note I once saw a close formation flying display by a national guard outfit flying Warthogs at the Hamilton Air show. One of the most spectacular displays I have...
  20. jthomson

Sigma Launches 20mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art

The Sigma 150mm and 180mm macro lenses were updated just before sigma switched to its Global Vision nomenclature. They are both excellent lenses.