At long last, DXO aggregates all lens testing together

dilbert said:
Don Haines said:
For those readers unfamiliar with how bright 150 lux is, think of a very dark overcast rainy day and that's about the brightness DXO tests under.... sunlight has a brightness from about 50,000 lux to a bit over 100,000 lux.

Another way of putting it is to imagine living your life looking through a pair of glasses with ND-9 filters.... Do that and you can see the world like DXO.....

150 lux should be perfect for cameras that have good high ISO - like Canon cameras do! And everyone here knows how important high ISO is because it is so much more important than low ISO, right?

So if DxO use high ISO in low light, just what lots and lots of people shoot with here and say is more important than low ISO, then why isn't Canon on top?

Or maybe what this suggests is that Canon's high ISO isn't as good as Nikon/Sony in low light situations?

Canon loses purely on "colour depth" which is basically Colour SNR. If the debayering process includes strong negative values (i.e. Green = -0.5xR+1.3*G-0.6*B) then the noise is amplified, but only for colour situations not B&W. If you have wider filtering on colours as canon does which seems to yield better skin tones then you lose out to sharper colour cut offs used on the sony sensors.

I'll happily go with more chromatic noise to get better skin tones. On the monochrome high ISO measurements Canon sensors are equal to Sony.

Upvote 0
ahsanford said:
[*]In the following instances of a 'near identical' lens from Zeiss / Sigma being offered on both the EF or Nikon mount, we have the following wonderful findings:

Zeiss Otus 55mm
On Nikon (D800E): Sharpness = 33 P-MPix, Overall Score = 50
On Canon (5DS R): Sharpness = 37 P-MPix, Overall Score = 46

Zeiss Otus 85mm
On Nikon (D800E): Sharpness = 35 P-MPix, Overall Score = 49
On Canon (5DS R): Sharpness = 41 P-MPix, Overall Score = 47

Sigma 35mm Art
On Nikon (D800E): Sharpness = 30 P-MPix, Overall Score = 43
On Canon (5DS R): Sharpness = 34 P-MPix, Overall Score = 41

Long time reader, first time poster.
I have a question about the above.
What accounts for the loss of P-MPix in Canons vs. Nikons cameras with the same lens?
I mean with the above numbers, for example the Otus 55mm shows 33 P-Mpix on the Nikon D800E and 37 P-Mpix on the Canon 5DSR. Sure 37 P-Mpix is greater than 33 P-Mpix, but thats 13 P-Mpix loss on a 50 MP sensor, vs. only 3 P-Mpix loss on a 36 MP sensor. Thats a 26% loss on a Canon over a 8% loss on a Nikon, if there was a similar 8% loss on a Canon it should show 46MP sharpness no?
Surely there can't be 26% loss between sensor to output???

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
dilbert said:
Don Haines said:
For those readers unfamiliar with how bright 150 lux is, think of a very dark overcast rainy day and that's about the brightness DXO tests under.... sunlight has a brightness from about 50,000 lux to a bit over 100,000 lux.

Another way of putting it is to imagine living your life looking through a pair of glasses with ND-9 filters.... Do that and you can see the world like DXO.....
150 lux should be perfect for cameras that have good high ISO - like Canon cameras do! And everyone here knows how important high ISO is because it is so much more important than low ISO, right?

So if DxO use high ISO in low light, just what lots and lots of people shoot with here and say is more important than low ISO, then why isn't Canon on top?
Your point is valid, but the point that I was trying to make is that rather than to test lenses and cameras under a very contrived set of conditions, in this case lighting so poor that we photographers are reaching for flashes and the light switch, to test the devices under more typical conditions.

If I am trying to decide which camera or lens to choose, I want to know the relative merits of each under the conditions that they will be used under. For that, DXO fails everyone....

Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
Fstopkid said:
ahsanford said:
[*]In the following instances of a 'near identical' lens from Zeiss / Sigma being offered on both the EF or Nikon mount, we have the following wonderful findings:

Zeiss Otus 55mm
On Nikon (D800E): Sharpness = 33 P-MPix, Overall Score = 50
On Canon (5DS R): Sharpness = 37 P-MPix, Overall Score = 46

Zeiss Otus 85mm
On Nikon (D800E): Sharpness = 35 P-MPix, Overall Score = 49
On Canon (5DS R): Sharpness = 41 P-MPix, Overall Score = 47

Sigma 35mm Art
On Nikon (D800E): Sharpness = 30 P-MPix, Overall Score = 43
On Canon (5DS R): Sharpness = 34 P-MPix, Overall Score = 41

Long time reader, first time poster.
I have a question about the above.
What accounts for the loss of P-MPix in Canons vs. Nikons cameras with the same lens?
I mean with the above numbers, for example the Otus 55mm shows 33 P-Mpix on the Nikon D800E and 37 P-Mpix on the Canon 5DSR. Sure 37 P-Mpix is greater than 33 P-Mpix, but thats 13 P-Mpix loss on a 50 MP sensor, vs. only 3 P-Mpix loss on a 36 MP sensor. Thats a 26% loss on a Canon over a 8% loss on a Nikon, if there was a similar 8% loss on a Canon it should show 46MP sharpness no?
Surely there can't be 26% loss between sensor to output???

Welcome to the DxO mystery hour!! Let me blow your mind even further. Go look up lens scores for the Same Zeiss glass on the 5D3... Go look up several of Canon's top ranking L glass. The loss ratio is far lower. Somehow the loss ratio magically jumped to what you said on the 5DSR...

Upvote 0