Sigma 85mm Art outscores the 85mm Otus (...on a D800E)

ahsanford said:
Annnnnnnd there you have it: virtually an identical result gets 4 points higher score for the Nikon mount.

Canon used to get shelled in its scores when a lens outresolved the 5D3 sensor and a higher sharpness was recorded on a D800 model. But oh, how the times have changed:

"While the results aren’t directly comparable due to the difference in the sensors, the 40 P-Mpix sharpness score is perhaps a little disappointing for Canon."

#dxo #fairandbalanced

- A

I really wish someone would do the kind of testing and metrics DXO claims to do (in addition to some more meaningful metrics), but without all the errors and balderdash we've become accustomed to in them. I mean, imagine how helpful their data could be if it could be trusted!

Upvote 0
ahsanford said:
Alex_M said:
what is the lens T factor has to do with the type of mount? Is Nikon mount superior to EF mount in anyway in that regard?
I really struggle to digest that bit :eek:

I'm no sensor expert, but apparently some sensor stack decision Canon made that Nikon didn't can affect transmission.

In a test designed to rate a lens. That's so DXO.

- A

Not true. There may indeed be a difference in sensor stack, but that's not what causes the discrepancy in DXO's ratings. Looks at the zeiss 135 planar side by side on d810 and 5Ds, and the same with the zeiss 85mm otus. It's just the normal nonsense we get from dxo. The 85mm get exactly the same transmission on both bodies. The 135mm get better transmission on the Canon.

Upvote 0
according to DXO, Sigma 50 Art and Sigma 85 Art are equally sharp ( sharpness: 40).
That does not ring true according to my own experience. Sigma 50 Art is a very sharp lens. I owned 3 copies of Sigma 50 Art so far. Best Reikan Focal QoF lfor the Sigma 50 Art I had so far is: 1890.
Best Reikan Focal QoF result for my Sigma 85 Art is: 2220. That is much sharper.

Chaitanya said:
DXo has published their review for Canon mount as well. Quite impressive lens.
https://www.dxomark.com/Reviews/Sigma-85mm-F1.4-DG-HSM-A-Canon-mount-lens-review-State-of-the-Art

Upvote 0