Search results

1. dstppy

Adwords in posts?

I just realized (after incorrectly flagging a post) that some sort of advertising is putting links IN posts AND signatures. Was this intentional? If so, it's going to be hard to ferret out random links. Please disregard a report earlier from me today; sorry for the confusion.
  2. dstppy

Anyone Doing 3D Scanning?

Being a core member of the local hackerspace (Danbury Innovation Center), it was inevitable I'd end up dealing with 3D scanning. I got tired of the MakerBot Digitizer sitting there, next to one of the 3D printers, and I decided to take it upon myself to get to know it. I sat down with it last...
  3. dstppy

Serial Numbers Sensitive?

Hi guys, another odd question. I've occasionally seen images of cameras that had the serial numbers blurred out, like you do for license plates. Any reason behind that? I ask, because I want to post shutter count for sale of some of my bodies. I can't see a reason the serial shouldn't be...
  4. dstppy

C P S Central Warranties

Does anyone have any actual experience with CPS Central and claims? The Gray Market 5Dmk3 that's listed on the front-page, the company says the warranty comes from that company. Looking them up, I see some mixed reviews (mostly cell phones) so I shied away initially. On Lens Authority...
  5. dstppy

"Higher Bit" Sensors

At a dinner party last weekend, we were discussing aspects of our amateur photography. Being the resident geek, I'm usually asked my opinion about different equipment, and usually have halfway competent answers. These are mostly folks who have higher end gear than me, but generally, at the...
  6. dstppy

Canon Loyalty Program question

Hi guys, I've been toying around with the idea of using CLP to get a 5Dmk3 and was wondering if they have to show refurb stock on their website? If they have to show stock, can you go on a wait list? Just curious, since it's (another) big purchase, I need it go go smoothly lest the "I told...
  7. dstppy

Hungry Jaguar

I just saw this! Not bad for a Nikon shooter . . . ;D I've been trying to convince the wife to get a pet alligator (you know, 2-3 feet) . . . now I'm hoping she's a 'cat' person.
  8. dstppy

Not Windows

I'm at the point where I need a computer upgrade for Lightroom . . . because I get distracted when an image takes 10-14 seconds to process (yeah, I get distracted easily . . . uh, I guess I said that). The problem is that I'm a mac guy, a mini, air, mbp, iMac . . . I just can't afford a pro...
  9. dstppy

Current Monitor Color Checkers

I had a Spyder2 years ago (which won't work at all with my newer computers) and have an empty spot on my wish-list since the wife is leery about those $2k-$3k entries ;) I know a lot of you are using x-rite i1 and we've had this conversation on other threads, but as of half way through 2013...
  10. dstppy

FF Camera Sleeve?

So, I've discovered the irony of my 5DmkII and the shorty forty . . . If I treat it like a super-sized P&S, what camera bag would fit that, and only that? I'm basically looking for a body-only case, that's just a hair bigger, and will fit with the pancake on. Ideas?
  11. dstppy

Indoor Skydiving: iFly

Apparently iFly was on NikonRumors and got sick of it and sold all their gear and switched to Canon ;D ;D ;D --- Seriously though . . . --- I took my boy to iFly (indoor skydiving) and saw the canon camera behind the glass. They had the benefit of front-lighting, I was fighting that light...
  12. dstppy

Canon Speedlite 320EX Flash $169 @ Adorama (via Amazon)

Saw this on another forum, figured I'd clue in anyone here too: http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Speedlite-320EX-Flash-Cameras/dp/B004M8SWBU If you're into that sort of thing :)
  13. dstppy

Off-Topic Fun: How are YOU spending your Black Friday (week)

Hio all. Now that we all are sure that Canon is descending into a death spiral with crappy products like the 5Dmk3 and pricing problems like all of their lenses . . . what's everyone expecting and doing for Black Friday? Qualification: if you're out of the US, don't thread-crap that we're...
  14. dstppy

60D Microfocus Adjustment on FoCal

Well, that has an attention-getting title, doesn't it? Reikan is looking into the possibility that the 60D's lacking of MFA is only in the UI software. I wanted to start this thread in case they DO get any traction and need test data or something else (I've been bugging them for a while)...
  15. dstppy

Affordable tripod ring for 200mm f/2.8L

As the subject says, I'm looking for a tripod ring for my new lens. Canon doesn't seem to have the ring online, and it looks like the 'Canon' parts online are over $100. Concerns: 1) Ran into counterfiet Canon products online 2) It's not a HUGE lens, but I need a ring that's reliable enough to...
  16. dstppy

Mac Software: Need to Untangle my photographic youth and OCD

I've (somewhat) got image backups down now (despite my wife's effort to the contrary) and do the following: Import jpegs for general use to iPhoto Import CR2 into aperture (I now have a copy of lightroom as well) Back up files to 2 external HDD under folder names cameraName_jpg cameraName_CR2...
  17. dstppy

Canon Handstrap

I bought this for my 60D and loved it: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000C4G79/ref=wms_ohs_product I bought another one (same link) but it shipped from another store for my 5D. After a pain to install it (had to get a clearance bike helmet to get a long enough nylon strap to wrap to the...
  18. dstppy

B&H Warranty

Hi guys, Depending on what my boss tells me in the next 4 days (crossing fingers) my OTHER boss (the one I live with) has given me leeway to pull the trigger on the B&H deal on the 5DmkII. My question: The 3/5 year warranty seems like a good peace of mind (it's transferable, it handles...
  19. dstppy

Must-Have Phone Apps?

It was everything I could do to not put 'iPhone' in the title because I know it makes some people see red ;) but that's what I'm looking for . . . I didn't want to stop anyone from sharing if they found something on another platform though. What apps have you folks found have made the life of a...