Canon Handstrap

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought this for my 60D and loved it:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000C4G79/ref=wms_ohs_product

I bought another one (same link) but it shipped from another store for my 5D.

After a pain to install it (had to get a clearance bike helmet to get a long enough nylon strap to wrap to the tripod connector) it still felt uncomfortable.

That's when I noticed, it's not as wide as the one on my 60D and it's puffier (has stuffing).

Does anyone know where I can find a link to canon brand (both are embossed with the canon logo) hand straps that I can compare? I want to figure out which model this is so I can make sure I don't have a repeat problem.

Temporary fix was that I just scavenged the good one off the 60D :)

Thanks Guys.

nebugeater

CR Pro
Feb 26, 2011
Just out of curiosity, where they from two different third party sellers on Amazon. If it is not sold by Amazon but by a Third Party Amazon partner that would explain the difference. For the most part I only buy from Amazon direct. Look at you sales info and see if it says SOLD BY XXXX. I had this happen with some blackberry chargers. Bought the first set and they were OEM as detailed in the order. Bought additional ones from the same link knowing both times that they were third party partners but ended up getting generic ones from the second seller. Sent an email detailing my dislike since I knew I wanted OEM and the second seller sent me the ones that I wanted, and bought, along with a prepaid shipping label to send the first ones back. Each order was for 5 or 6 so it was worth it.

Upvote 0
I'll take some pics later; the E1 shown from b&h is definitely what I was looking for that I have on my first. It works with the arca-swiss type baseplates.

First was received from Amazon, second was Cowboy Studio (3rd party vendor).

I think I tossed the packaging -- the wife's been on my case about leaving stuff dragging around but I think I recycled it, so I can dive into the 95-gallon bin when I get home :eek:

I can't remember what it looked like to start with, so I'm wondering if it's just that my monster-sized paws have flattened it out over the process of a year. The E1 is so much of a "must have" for me that I'll preorder a baseplate and strap next time for sure.

Thanks guys.

Upvote 0
K

kimloris

Although not in the same price range and if you are not reluctant to have the Nikon brand attached to your Canon body, the Nikon AH-4 hand strap is really excellent.
The material is good leather and it feels really sturdy.
It comes with a plate (plastic) to screw to the tripod mount hole but if you have a Kirk camera plate, there is a loop to put a hand strap in. (just be sure of checking the loop design of the Nikon hand strap before trying to replace the "Nikon" plate with the Kirk one... I removed mine quickly and it took me a while to figure out if the loop should be inside or outside / reverse or direct)

Upvote 0
I have ordered one of these, will let you know how it sizes up.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/120628939625?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

This works for me since I do not have the battery holder for my 5D. I can use the tripod mount to attach it, and it can then accept the tripod shoe on top of the holder so I don't lose any "holes" to mount the body if needed, after I have added the strap. Needs no additional hardware either. Also it has additional loop to connect a secondary shoulder strap if need be. Looks good on paper.

Upvote 0
Jul 19, 2011
I ordered this from Korea over the summer and it has been fantastic. Herringbone is the manufacturer. Padded, great materials, not hard to install, optional aluminum quick release plate (Manfrotto/Arca-Swiss compatible). Very secure.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Herringbone-Heritage-Hand-Grip-Camera-Strap-Black-Red-Stitch-Type1-w-Plate-/260926659761?pt=US_Camera_Straps_Hand_Grips&hash=item3cc070dcb1

Several colors available, but I opted for the black with red stitching. Looks great when I've got a L lens on the camera. Seems big enough to work with battery pack or larger body but I don't currently have a battery pack on my 7D.

Upvote 0
I did some shots; did a dumpster-dive for the card attached to it; still have to find out if they'll take it back once it's opened and I don't have the bag.

Here's the shots; one more after this.

Attachments

• IMG_0888.JPG
    IMG_0888.JPG
    186.2 KB · Views: 3,238
  • IMG_0889.JPG
    IMG_0889.JPG
    269.9 KB · Views: 4,325
  • IMG_0890.JPG
    IMG_0890.JPG
    227.6 KB · Views: 3,249
  • IMG_0891.JPG
    IMG_0891.JPG
    246.9 KB · Views: 3,729
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
dstppy said:
Last shots -- really good fake or just a crappy run?

I notice a few differences between the two. First, the cut is different (the one actually on the camera has an inward curve at the lower left, the free strap is straight). Second, the stitching is different - the one on the camera is 'coarser' and closer to the center of the folded-over portion, while the free one has finer stitching that's closer to the free edge. Finally, the leather of the one on the camera has more obvious texture.

I got two of them from B&H about several months apart, and both are identical and match the one attached to the camera.

Unfortunately, I think it's probably a fake. If you didn't have two of them, you'd probably never notice... I suppose it's also possible that Canon changed the style of the strap slightly.

Upvote 0
kimloris said:
Although not in the same price range and if you are not reluctant to have the Nikon brand attached to your Canon body, the Nikon AH-4 hand strap is really excellent.
The material is good leather and it feels really sturdy.
It comes with a plate (plastic) to screw to the tripod mount hole but if you have a Kirk camera plate, there is a loop to put a hand strap in. (just be sure of checking the loop design of the Nikon hand strap before trying to replace the "Nikon" plate with the Kirk one... I removed mine quickly and it took me a while to figure out if the loop should be inside or outside / reverse or direct)

Had Nikon AH-4 too on my Canon's. It's in much better quality and design than the Canon E1. Its leather pad wraps around the dorsum of hand nicely and fits better (I let couple other people try it) than the E1. Its unique loop around the thumb side is the key to the 3-point stability that E1 is missing. But I also figure that the extra stability can also mean the more cumbersome when you want to put down the camera. Nikon's AH-4 reminds me of the good old one from Minolta...

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Nikon-AH-4-Leather-Hand-Grip-Review.aspx

Upvote 0
Since we're (somewhat) on the topic, and I'm curious... How many people keep their index finger out of the handstrap, like in the attached picture?

My hands aren't exactly huge, but that's the only way mine fit comfortably, plus then I can still operate all the buttons.

Attachments

• IMG_20120109_223437.jpg
    IMG_20120109_223437.jpg
    960.4 KB · Views: 2,307
Upvote 0
Thanks for the replies guys; the package card looked genuine though. I'm going to see if I can return it. The "C" on the Canon logo is also not properly pressed into it.

I had the opteka one, then added the E1 strap because it was nicer, then ditched the bottom plate in lieu of the arca-swiss baseplate which was an excellent combination.

As for finger-out, I have pretty big hands so I like the strap actually further back on my hand, so it would be super loose (useless) for my wife or someone smaller to use it. This actually gives me enough control of the camera that I (occasionally) don't feel the need for the BlackRapid around my neck/shoulder.

I'll let you know how the return goes; "cowboystudio" gets great reviews for their no-name products on amazon like studio lighting, so I figured I'd give them a whirl. I'm a Prime subscriber, so I usually don't bother with 3rd party :D Too impatient. Canon's website is even out of stock of the E1.

Thanks again for all the helpful posts.

Upvote 0
I have the E1 on my 7d... I dont have a grip on my 7d... I bought one of those cheapie ebay ones that comes with the mounting plate on the bottom of the camera and removed the ebay strap, added the E1... took some finesse because the plates want the nylon straps to bend in almost a 90 degree angle and when new... good luck. Anyways I got it to work and has served me well... I dont like the rubber inside feel of the ebay grips... and even the E2 that neuro posted, while nice, appears to be more narrow than the E1, and isn't quite the same...

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.