Search results

1. J

Weather-sealing: what has real-life R5 experience been?

I'm a photojournalist and have to shoot in rain, dust, and hostile environments. What has real-life experience been with the R5 and either with dedicated R lenses (like 24-70, 70-200, or 50?) or with legacy EF glass and autofocus adapter? Any comparisons with Sony? Thoughts re possibilities in...
  2. J

GPS on 5D4 --need a bit of advice?

Yup. You were right. All I need to do, if outdoors, is turn on the camera 30-60 seconds before shooting, and it learns where it is. Thanks again.
  3. J

Thank you. I will try that. That is what I think is going on, but will test and compare. Thanks again.
  4. J

Greetings -- With some struggles, I have managed to get GPS working on my 5D4 ... But ... not invariably. My usual workflow is to shoot, then transfer GPS logger to my card (usually SD, in #2 slot) and load onto my computer. I open in Photo Mechanic, do my rapid cull, and then import to LR...
  5. J

R5 Lens question

Any idea whether Canon will make an adapter so that the R5 can use the big whites -- the L lenses that many of us have accumulated over the years?
  6. J

5D4 Card-Folder Selection question.

Ahh. Those are quite useful; thanks. While I invariably shoot with both cards, I close the door (so it does not get broken) when I have removed card 2 to download into laptop (it's easier; my Mac has an SD slot); and that is probably when it gets switched back to writing memos to card 1.
  7. J

5D4 Card-Folder Selection question.

Colleagues: I'm a photojournalist. I shoot with 2 5D4s, and always use both CF and SD cards. I always choose "record to both" cards, because I am more interested in duplicate images for backup than I am in running out of space. My question is: Can I somehow "lock" my selection of "Card-Folder...
  8. J

New 5D4 Memo recording firmware -- usable for multiple cards?

Colleagues -- I was very happy to see the 5D4 firmware upgrade to allow voice memo recordings on my 5D4. (I'm a photojournalist.) I had CPS install this at once. My question is: can this be made to record the WAV file to BOTH cards, or only one? My default setting on my 5D4 bodies are to...
  9. J

Post photos of other photographers in action

Photo by Doug Brown, Portland Mercury: Photojournalist covering Mayday demonstration.
  10. J

Do You Use Third Party Batteries in Your Canon Cameras?

Colleagues: I am sort of the "simple son" here, so forgive an ignoramus' question: assuming a hypothetical equal build quality, will a 2600 mAh battery last longer, perform better, give more shots than, say, a 1900 mAh battery? My own third-party experience has been excellent. I often shoot in...
  11. J

Canon 5D MKIV dual memory card question

Colleagues -- I also use CF + SD in my %d3 & 4 for redundancy. I rarely shoot in bursts of > 8-10. But I was, I admit, alarmed at the statement that low-level formatting of SD will damage it or shorten life. I have long assumed that formatting a card prior to use is better for it, not worse, and...
  12. J

Card failure story?

I use 5D3 & 4, hence have dual cards. I always shoot RAW + jpg, copying both to both cards. I shoot a lot, daily, in complex circumstances. I have had only one fail: a Lexar 633x 64G SD became corrupt -- don't know why or how. I lost a few images. Tried everything --reformatted card, different...
  13. J

Sigma 35 Art vs. Tamron 35 or 45?

AH Sanford -- I find your comments lucid, thorough, and reasoned. Very useful. Thx for posting.
  14. J

Cover glass for 5D4 touch-screen?

Dear Friends: I sometimes bang around my gear a bit harder than I would like, and it has been my custom always to keep a high-quality multilayer cover-glass affixed to the rear LCD -- a cover-glass of the Giotto or Vello sort, though not always those brands. This has worked out extremely well...
  15. J

Error 70 Message

Thanks, each and all, for the error 70 suggestions. I called CPS this morning and got excellent advice: Since the error 70 message is triggered by an image defect, he suggested trying the cards one at a time, alone in the camera. So: 1. I took both cards out, turned camera on; the menu said it...
  16. J

Error 70 Message

Colleagues: My well-used but very well cared-for 5D Mark 3 just spouted an 'error message 70.' I have done everything can think of: cleaned contacts, changed lenses, changed battery, cards, turned off/on several times. Short of sending to CPS (I'm gold) does anyone have insight into this? I...
  17. J

5D4 vs 1Dx -Body durability and related questions

Colleagues --Thank you for your comments; please keep them coming. I learn from all of you. I use both the 5d3 and the 1dx in nasty environments, and while I don;t want to pound nails, I do want ideal autofocus and low-light responsiveness -- and resistance to shock, being banged around...
  18. J

5D4 vs 1Dx -Body durability and related questions

Dear Colleagues: I am considering the 5D4 (I have 1Dx and 5D3 and very happy with both). I do stills almost exclusively; video is less important to me. I shoot in very unfriendly environments; outdoors a lot, dust, smoke, dirt, etc. Low light is important, but 14 FPS is probably less so. My...
  19. J

85L - UV filter vs. Clear filter

In regard to the same train of questions, does anyone have experience with the new line of Hoya filters that claim to be more durable, more scratch and dust and grime resistant, etc., etc? I note these are very expensive; but so are L and Sigma lenses which are all I use. Any thoughts or...
  20. J

5D Mark III Dual Memory Card

The menu for using the 2 cards is pretty flexible. If I am not mistaken, though (I'm writing from memory) I don't recall being able to write raw to one card and jpg to the other. You can, though, make it write simultaneously to both; or make it write sequentially to one when the other is full...