Search results

1. O

Filters on tele-zooms

This is, as I'm sure you know, one of the most divisive issues in photography. Or at least the use of "protective" filters on lenses. I used to be on the "keep a filter on all lenses" group, and even have an example of where it probably saved one of my lenses. But I have gone to the other...
  2. O

RF 200-800mm vs RF 100-500mm vs RF 800mm on R7 and R5

Thank you, Alan. I always appreciate your messages, even when they go over my bald head. This was clear enough even I could understand it. Thanks again.
  3. O

Canon is actively conducting market research on a “retro” style camera body

The Karmann Ghia convertible was one of my favorites I have owned over the years. During a trip through New England a few years ago I saw one just like it and it brought back sweet memories.
  4. O

Canon continues its dominant hold on global market share for digital cameras

A year ago I would have said "I hate adapters." But I really hadn't used one. Got the R7 eight months ago inspite of needing an adapter for my EF lenses. The adapter works so well that I can say, "I don't love adapters but they sure work well." Put me in the in favor group....but I am...
  5. O

Canon Speedlite EL-10 rumored for later this year [CR2]

The above picture made my day. :) Thanks,danfaz! Now, a (slightly) off topic question. Having always had crop frame cameras, up to the R7 they have had a little built-in flash. Usually, if I needed a flash, I would use the 580ex. But sometimes I would use the built-in flash as a fill light...
  6. O

There will be “a lot” of new RF mount lenses from Canon between now and March 2024

I "liked" your message because it makes sense to me. But I also don't "like" it. I was enjoying my R7 for the last few months but after reading some of this site, after staying off it for a while, and I started lusting for a full frame camera (there goes the 10th Commandment). I've never...
  7. O

There will be “a lot” of new RF mount lenses from Canon between now and March 2024

I am not fond of adapters, though I admit this particular use is only minimally annoying to me (I tend to grumpiness in my old age) and it seems to work rather well. But when you "jump ship" aren't you risking worse ergonomics? For example, as I recall the rings (focus/zoom) on Nikon cameras...
  8. O

Opinion: The difficulty facing Canon (and everyone else)

As usual, you make a lot of sense. I have never had a full frame digitgal camera. I like my 7DMKII, enough to have two of them as a matter of fact. And have enjoyed the EF-S 17-55 2.8 I bought several years ago. I have a R7 which I'm really enjoying, mostly with EF glass or the RF 100-400...
  9. O

Canon executives address third-party RF future

And that might keep my bald head from burning. I've use plastic bags and rubber bands and I have some plastic bags designed for rainy day shooting as well as more expensive, but probably not more effective rain gear for my lenses.
  10. O

R7 Continuous Focusing

Thanks for the advice. I can always use it. Hope you find those birds you're seeking.
  11. O

R7 Continuous Focusing

My thanks to both of you. Silly name change. :) And thanks to you, AlanF, because I know you would have answered it they hadn't beat you to it. In minutes y'all solved a problem that I worked hours on.
  12. O

R7 Continuous Focusing

As I age I believe my memory is slipping. I bought a R7 toward the end of last year. So far I've been practicing with it shooting birds, mostly in my back yard. I'm pleased with it overall, of course I was also pleased with my 7DII and all my previous DSLRs. But as I have altered the set-up...
  13. O

Valles Caldera National Preserve, NM

That's cheating! Longmire belongs in Wyoming (I actually found myself in the area where Craig Johnson lives in Wyoming while taking one of my strange routes to Yellowstone). Those are some beautiful pictures and now I'm thinking of another place on my long list of places to visit. Thank you...
  14. O

Suggestions / Issues with the New CR Site

I have a question about a minor issue, and probably only an issue for me. Is there a way for me to get rid of the "Get Notificartions" button on the right of my screen? Sometimes it blocks letters, words, numbers and I find it annoying. And I am not going to sign up for push notifications.
  15. O

Looks like B&H, Adorama, etc will start collecting sales tax

There are nine states which have no state income tax (though two of those states tax investment income) so that would be an issue. And the sales tax is often divided between state/county/city (in Texas it is divided between state/city with limits on both and how it is distributed). I once did...
  16. O

Industry News: Canon on Reframing the Business to Avoid Further Smartphone Disruption

Once I stopped to photograph a grizzly sow and cub in Yellowstone National Park at a bear jam. Sensing that she was about to cross the road myself and another man crossed the road first and he set up his tripod on a small hill a safe distance from where we expected the grizzly to cross. I...
  17. O

Online snapshot printing: What are good resources?

I take a lot of pictures of family events and my wife likes to share prints with the less technically inclined, which includes our generation and one immediately below it....even the third generation enjoys prints sometimes. We use the local Walgreens. I sent the files online and an hour or so...
  18. O

Microsoft Surface And DPP Issues

I rarely use DPP but do have version 4 on my Surface Pro 3. I used the Surface Pro 3 as my main computer for a couple of months and still keep it updated to the latest Windows 10 OS. This subject made me curious so I just ran DPP v.4 and it works fine for me. Issue may be difference in the...
  19. O

Issue with Sandisk SD

It has been a while but I have had excellent results using Recuva which is free to download the basic version (all I've ever used).
  20. O

Kickstarter: KOBRA Flash Modifier System

I like my Rogue Flashbender but it isn't the perfect solution and not always the most convenient. This one is interesting and I might try it if it comes out in February. I won't do the Kickstarter thing since at my age I don't even buy green bananas.