16-35F4 L IS, Any good?

hi, I am keen to get the 16-35F4L zoom as a replacement for my 17-40. I have tested two copies from the store and this is what I get.

copy One, distant image of building slight softness at all apertures on left 20% compared to the right side....

Copy Two, distant image of building very definite softness on right side , sharp objects almost have a double image at all apertures , right 20% of image.

I have done numerous tests etc, copy one seems almost fine, especially compared to copy Two. I am reluctant to take it and then take it to service center and then being told that it is within specs. I have already paid for the lens but don't want to take it out of the shop until I am satisfied.

So my answer is how are owners of this lens finding them? Any other problems. I am talking about critical professional use...

I have had a couple of 17-40 copies and I have had several of both the 16-35 f2.8L vI and vII. I never liked any of them. But the 16-35 f4L IS I have is simply brilliant. I actually sold my Zeiss 21mm f2.8, because the 16-35 f4L IS made it redundant. I have not heard anything but praise for this lens, so if you're not happy with the two copies you have seen, it must be something wrong somewhere in the chain.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
I haven't tested mine extensively yet, but decentering is always one of the first thing a after calibration I check, and it is perfect.

And just as a side note, I thought the TS17 was as good as it gets, but the 1635 is better. I was really surprised to see how little distortion it actually has. And the sharpness is epic across the frame.

Upvote 0

TeT

I am smiling because I am happy...
Feb 17, 2014
Ivan Muller said:
hi, I am keen to get the 16-35F4L zoom as a replacement for my 17-40. I have tested two copies from the store and this is what I get.

copy One, distant image of building slight softness at all apertures on left 20% compared to the right side....

Copy Two, distant image of building very definite softness on right side , sharp objects almost have a double image at all apertures , right 20% of image.

I have done numerous tests etc, copy one seems almost fine, especially compared to copy Two. I am reluctant to take it and then take it to service center and then being told that it is within specs. I have already paid for the lens but don't want to take it out of the shop until I am satisfied.

So my answer is how are owners of this lens finding them? Any other problems. I am talking about critical professional use...

Take neither of those copies If you are buying new.

Used, make sure they are cheap enough to cover the $400 hit from CPS (<$600)

Upvote 0
May 20, 2013
I've recently upgraded from the 17-40 L to the 16-35mm L and am delighted with the image quality of my new lens, there's an obvious sharpness differential between the two lens especially in the corners. My only gripe is that it looks cheap compared to the 17-40mm L and my 24-105mm L, due to it's larger rubber focusing and zoom rings, but if lenses visual appearance is the only thing to grumble about i'm onto a winner.

Upvote 0
May 20, 2013

To test two defective lenses with different faults is strange, very strange. The testament to the quality and consistency of this lens is pretty much unanimous across the web. I would purchase from a different stockist, it might cost a little more but it's worth it, if it means purchasing from a reputable dealer. Even if it's just for the piece of mind.

Upvote 0
I've been a wide angle fanatic since I've been shooting Canon DSLRs since 2005 including owning the original 5D. I've had around a dozen copies of the 17-40L (always buying/selling) I've had the 16-35 2.8II. Now the 16-35 F4.

The 16-35 F4L IS has no equal in the world particularly in the 16-24mm range, regardless of price and/or brand and/or format and/or type (zoom/prime)--yes this includes the Nikon 14-24. Even if the Nikon 14-24 can get as sharp stopped down, this lens is a perfectionist @ F4 esp @ 16mm. Canon obviously optimized this lens for F4 performance. I don't find any improvements stopping down. even beyond 24mm it is great. There is a nice contrast difference between it and other high end lenses. Blacks are blacker.

Here's one at 16mm F4, 1/10s, 2000 iso. dark church. I have it printed and at it's very sharp even at full res.

16235280420_dc47af8858_b.jpg

Upvote 0

SPL

Jan 28, 2012
Eldar said:
I have had a couple of 17-40 copies and I have had several of both the 16-35 f2.8L vI and vII. I never liked any of them. But the 16-35 f4L IS I have is simply brilliant. I actually sold my Zeiss 21mm f2.8, because the 16-35 f4L IS made it redundant. I have not heard anything but praise for this lens, so if you're not happy with the two copies you have seen, it must be something wrong somewhere in the chain.
+1!
I also upgraded from the 17-40, which I used for many years. My copy of the 16-35 is fantastic straight out of the box….fantastic lens!

Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
16-35 L is a superb lens corner to corner. Was amazed how good it was when I took it on a Disney trip late last year. It almost never left the 6D the entire time unless I needed the 70-200 IS MkII, which the 16-35 f4L is an equal to at one stop slower. If you need a wide, then this is the best you can buy. The 11-24 L looks like it will be great, but I doubt it will be optically any better than the 16-35 f4, You'll just have much bigger FOV.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Have to agree with everybody so far, it is a superb lens, it has better contrast and colour in the corners than the 17TS-E.

Do a simple test like the one below, take some time to square off your camera to the targets, I stick a small mirror on the glass and line up the reflection. If there is much deviation in corner performance than don't get it.

Attachments

• _E1V7972.jpg
    _E1V7972.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 1,233
Upvote 0