5D mkII upgrade with a mkIII or 1Dx

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Picsfor

"Focus on Imaging 2012

Sunday 4th- Wednesday 7th March
109 We are pleased to announce that Canon will be exhibiting at Focus on Imaging 2012.

Come and visit us on stand L26, where we will be showcasing our fantastic range of Digital SLR cameras, including the recently launched EOS-1D X and the award winning and highly coveted EOS 5D Mark II. "

Note this extract from the Canon UK web site. They will be showcasing the 5D2 along with the 1DX - that's their star billing.

I have 2 x 5D2's but have thought seriously of trading them in for something with better ISO and focusing. I've discovered i'm more of an action shooter than a stills shooter. Love the 5D2 to pieces, as much as i loved the A1 - but i want a little bit more focusing control in low light.

The second 1 is only 5 months old and has been out of the box once to register 67 shots! That should recoup most of its outlay if i sell now :)

We could all be waiting a fair bit of time for the elusive 5D3, even if announced on 7th Feb 2012...

Upvote 0

JR

Sep 22, 2011
Canada
pakosouthpark said:
... but now the question is, for the mkII owners: are you waiting for the 1Dx or the 5d mkIII to upgrade your camera?

For now I plan to upgrade with the 1DX. While the rumored 5DmkIII specs seem very exciting (maybe it will be my second body) I am still confident the metering system of the 1DX (not very sexy so no one talks about it but this alone will be powered by a Digit 4 processor!) as well as its ISO performance will be superior to the 5DmkIII.

So for now my plan is to go for the 1DX. I may revise this plan if the ISO performance of the 5DmkIII is on par with the 1DX and if it has the 61 point AF system - which to be honest is very unlikely on both counts!

Jacques

Upvote 0
pakosouthpark said:
I would love to buy the, soon to come, 5d mk III BUT the world hasn't helped me with that..

so I will probably buy a 2nd hand 5D mk II. but now the question is, for the mkII owners: are you waiting for the 1Dx or the 5d mkIII to upgrade your camera?

cheers guys and girls if there are any :)

I had been waiting for the 5D3 for almost a year but eventually decided to get a 1D4 instead. Did not regret my decision so far. (I value speed and additional reach through crop more than FF)

Upvote 0
No, as I've only just bought a new mark2 I will not be hurrying to replace it with anything at all.

But I don't understand much of the excitement over the 1Dx. It is a very nice camera, of that there is no doubt. But its not any kind of replacement for the 1Ds3 or 5D2.

Now give me a 60 something AF point, eye-controlled full frame 3D and you would need to fight me to be first in the queue.

Upvote 0
B

briansquibb

motorhead said:
But I don't understand much of the excitement over the 1Dx. It is a very nice camera, of that there is no doubt. But its not any kind of replacement for the 1Ds3 or 5D2.

Why shouldn't the 1DX be a replacement for the 1Ds3 or 5D2?

Its strengths are the others weaknesses - AF, high iso etc

The only percieved downside is the reduction of mps from 21 to 18. However in practical terms the increased IQ (Canons view) will end up with better images as those extra mps are not really essential for all but a tiny minority.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.