5D2 - activating Live View focus with shutter release

I want to take self portraits with the 5D2 (or 50d - they are similar). The Live View with face detect option in servo mode will identify a face if it's not too far off center and focus on it. But the problem is it can be activated, as far as I know, only with the AF-ON button. The button has to be held down for a few seconds while it hunts around and zeroes in on the face. This is not a problem if I am taking a picture of someone else. But is there a way to trigger it via the shutter release ? That way I can set the timer and stand in front of the camera and after the timer has counted down, it will focus (on the face) and take the picture.

Mar 25, 2011
You cannot use a remote to autofocus in liveview, I doubt if the self timer would do it, maybe with quick AF enabled. See the foot note on page 118 of your manual.

You don't really need liveview to take a photo and get the focus on you, the AF system will focus on the nearest object, so make sure that its you that is nearest the camera, and set a smaller aperture depending on the lens and distance to the camera so your entire face is in focus and not just your nose,

Upvote 0