5D3 date resetting.

justsomedude

5Dm4, 5Dm4, 5Dm3, 6Dm1
Feb 20, 2011
430
0
43
Denver, CO
www.akphoto.com
I just got my 5D3 back from Canon service last week and have discovered a bizarre anomaly... the date resets after the camera is left off overnight. All other camera settings remain, such as file size, custom controls, etc., but the date resets to the year 2000. Now that I know about it, it is easy to set before each shoot - but it was annoying trying to sort all the images I shot last week.

Anyone ever experience this? Any ideas on how to fix it?

Thanks in advance!
 

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
8,262
1,918
Canada
justsomedude said:
I just got my 5D3 back from Canon service last week and have discovered a bizarre anomaly... the date resets after the camera is left off overnight. All other camera settings remain, such as file size, custom controls, etc., but the date resets to the year 2000. Now that I know about it, it is easy to set before each shoot - but it was annoying trying to sort all the images I shot last week.

Anyone ever experience this? Any ideas on how to fix it?

Thanks in advance!
On the 5D2, there is a separate clock battery. I assume the same for the 5D3, the battery is probably dead, or they forgot to put one back in during service.

EDIT! Found this for you
https://protogtech.com/cameras/canon-5d-mark-iii-clock-battery-location-removal/
 

justsomedude

5Dm4, 5Dm4, 5Dm3, 6Dm1
Feb 20, 2011
430
0
43
Denver, CO
www.akphoto.com
Just ordered some CR1616, although I’m more disappointed in Canon CPS for not replacing it during service. CPS turn around time has also slowed to a crawl. But I’ll save that story for another thread.

Thank you for the link!
 

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
8,262
1,918
Canada
justsomedude said:
Just ordered some CR1616, although I’m more disappointed in Canon CPS for not replacing it during service. CPS turn around time has also slowed to a crawl. But I’ll save that story for another thread.

Thank you for the link!
I take it that the battery was dead?
 

RGF

How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
Jul 13, 2012
2,816
35
justsomedude said:
Just ordered some CR1616, although I’m more disappointed in Canon CPS for not replacing it during service. CPS turn around time has also slowed to a crawl. But I’ll save that story for another thread.

Thank you for the link!
I use the Itasca office and their service is excellent and turn time is 1 day unless a part needs to be ordered

As far as the button battery, I would have been surprised if they had changed that. That is user maintenance though if they had seen it (which they probably did not) I would have hoped that they would have told you.

Wonder if the new cameras also have a battery button - I don't remember inserting on into my 5D M4 or 7D M2. Perhaps they have a rechargeable internal battery which is recharged by the main camera battery?
 

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
8,262
1,918
Canada
justsomedude said:
Don Haines said:
I take it that the battery was dead?
Not entirely sure, but it’s the only thing that makes sense.

I’ll follow up with confirmation of a fix (or lack thereof) once the batteries arrive.
It's a 3V battery, and probably needs to be 2.6 volts or better to keep the memory alive, and once it drops to that level it is essentially done for.... anybody with a voltmeter could confirm this in a second or two...

Usually, the camera clock draws power from the LP-6 battery, but when it is removed, (like sending in for service), the clock runs from the backup battery. It is probably good for 500 hours on a new battery...
 

RGF

How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
Jul 13, 2012
2,816
35
I checked with Canon and on newer cameras there is a rechargeable small battery to keep the date and time working. This battery recharges from the camera battery. If left too long with no battery in the camera, time and date are lost.
 

JPAZ

If only I knew what I was doing.....
Sep 8, 2012
936
44
RGF said:
I checked with Canon and on newer cameras there is a rechargeable small battery to keep the date and time working. This battery recharges from the camera battery.
Wow! Just like a Tesla! :eek: ::) ;D
 

RGF

How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
Jul 13, 2012
2,816
35
JPAZ said:
RGF said:
I checked with Canon and on newer cameras there is a rechargeable small battery to keep the date and time working. This battery recharges from the camera battery.
Wow! Just like a Tesla! :eek: ::) ;D
Canon will even have a Ludicrous mode ;D
 

justsomedude

5Dm4, 5Dm4, 5Dm3, 6Dm1
Feb 20, 2011
430
0
43
Denver, CO
www.akphoto.com
Confirmed... replacing the battery fixed the clock reset issue. Thanks folks!

Although now I have two pet peeves regarding CPS service:

1) Canon never replaced the clock battery.
2) I discovered Canon never replaced the torn/shredded rubber eye cup (damage incurred during impact and noted on repair form).

Canon... the company I love to hate to love. *sigh*