5D4 Dual-Pixel RAW Image Microadjust comparison to AFMA posted at DPR

zim

CR Pro
Oct 18, 2011
and from that article (http://www.kamerabild.se/tester/vi-har-provat-canon-eos-5d-mark-iv?nodePage=3)

"In this case, the conditions were great for after adjusting the image because I personally think that the result was above expectations, although I had no expectations ...
future tests will show the tolerances required for a good end result, but this feature can really be very useful in certain situations, if you can make use of the altered workflow required (setting for the photo shoot, conditions and after treatment).
For best results, according to Canon using a focal length of at least 50mm and an aperture of f / 5.6 or lower, and an ISO setting of 1600 ISO or lower.
Photographs for example, a portrait with a 50mm lens, will the shooting stand 1-10 meters from the camera, at 100mm 2-20 meters, and at 200mm 4-40 meters from the camera."

So both articles are correct, just that one seems to have tested within Canon's recommended limits, no?

Upvote 0
Oct 16, 2015
I thought that the purpose of the Dual Pixel RAW is to provide ability to compensate for an occasional and slight (-2/+2) out of focus shot of a AFMA-ed lens. As we all know, auto focus isn’t always perfect even for perfectly calibrated lens.

IglooEater said:
Seeing it's dpr, none of us are honestly expecting them to like a canon-exclusive (for the moment) technology. (of course DPAF is so big they can't deny its usefulness without losing face) No one has been pretending that this is to replace afma. This designed so that after one calibrates lens/camera combo, after mastering af system on the camera, and after mastering the skills necessary to focus shallow dof lenses, then one will be able to make tiny adjustments for whatever is left over to adjust. Such as the adjustment between focus on the middle of the eyelash vs focus on the centre of the eye.

Upvote 0
Nov 1, 2012
Alex_M said:
I thought that the purpose of the Dual Pixel RAW is to provide ability to compensate for an occasional and slight (-2/+2) out of focus shot of a AFMA-ed lens. As we all know, auto focus isn’t always perfect even for perfectly calibrated lens.

I've also heard that sometimes people (or the camera) moves after focus has been locked. It would fix those too, not just when afma is slightly off. And I think people moving is way more common problem than afma problems.

Also the -2/+2 is from dpr, so not sure on that. The swedish one looks more like -200/+200, which is amazing. And it was shot 35mm F2.2.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Alex_M said:

Yes, I don't see it as an either/or proposition. Rather I see it as and/or. You can choose AFMA, you can choose Dual Pixel Raw or you can choose both.

Upvote 0
arthurbikemad said:
tpatana said:
arthurbikemad said:
Exactly this ^^^, "tiny" being the key word, and he did emphasise TINY! I think some are thinking way too far on this. :)

The article (from Sweden) posted on another thread showed some 2m/6ft shift on a picture taken with 35mm lens.

If that's not fake, I'm no calling it tiny.

I don't think that's the case, 2m of shift would be ground braking IMO. I'll bet it's more like 2mm. If you can correct focus by 2m I'll eat my shorts...lol

Also I think Canon would have made quite a deal about DPRAW if it was capable of 2m worth of focus shift, and not time code 2.05 where a few MM is shown.

https://youtu.be/VTt1bDcLFB0
The difference is much, much more than tiny ar +/-2 AF points. But the limitations of how much is can deliver compared to original FL, aperature and iso-setting may be why Canon is cautions about how and when it can be used effectively.

As mentioned above they underline several aspects that are important.

Would like to see more tests/reviews of this ground breaking tech before I make up my mind how important this may or may not be for practical shooting.

Upvote 0
Watched a video last night by Clinton Lubbe, where the blogger posts the micro adjustment effect with 3 different focal lengths, 200mm, 300mm and 600mm.

The effect seems to become lesser as the focal lengths become longer. Clinton goes on to say that this probably won't help him in his genre (fashion/models etc) but maybe in other genres.

I'm interested to see what can happen with macro photography and if one can save those near misses.

Would like to see this feature in the 6Dii.

Upvote 0
Feb 8, 2013
It's pretty obvious that the adjustment latitude is just a multiple of the available depth of field.

If you're getting 1" DOF normally then you might have about 3" of total range to adjust.
Oppositely, shooting with a wide angle lens set near hyperfocal distance may very well give you hundreds of feet of adjustment range.

Now I'm really curious about what happens when you try with a Tilt Shift lens.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Sabaki said:
Watched a video last night by Clinton Lubbe, where the blogger posts the micro adjustment effect with 3 different focal lengths, 200mm, 300mm and 600mm.

The effect seems to become lesser as the focal lengths become longer. Clinton goes on to say that this probably won't help him in his genre (fashion/models etc) but maybe in other genres.

I'm interested to see what can happen with macro photography and if one can save those near misses.

Would like to see this feature in the 6Dii.

Thanks for the heads up. Here is the link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCHEVovn8YQ

"DPAF worth jumping up and down about", funny how little the Canon knockers say about it, isn't it. Surely the other manufacturers must have something equal or better, since Canon is so so lacking.

Equally intriguing is the disappointment that many are expressing after Canon has emphasized that there is this little tweak that you can now make using DPRAW, not an earth shattering invention. I don't get it. ;)

Jack

Upvote 0

StudentOfLight

I'm on a life-long journey of self-discovery
Nov 2, 2013
Cape Town
9VIII said:
It's pretty obvious that the adjustment latitude is just a multiple of the available depth of field.

If you're getting 1" DOF normally then you might have about 3" of total range to adjust.
Oppositely, shooting with a wide angle lens set near hyperfocal distance may very well give you hundreds of feet of adjustment range.

Now I'm really curious about what happens when you try with a Tilt Shift lens.
Yes indeed.

I'm also curious if this can be used to fix moire problems, and if so whether it will be faster than trying to remove it by hand with the lightroom brush tool that works sometimes but not always as well as i'd like....

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
arthurbikemad said:
Canon said "tiny" amounts of correction from day one.

But no one has done in depth testing as of now. But the bodies ship in the next few days so info and pics will be all over.

I get tired of it, it's like so many are just out to smear Canon. Canon didn't present this as some massive feature but so many are ridiculing it. There must be a jealousy factor that comes into play with many posts. I guess that's just how it is when you're the top dog.

This camera will be another winner for Canon IMHO. A nice well rounded camera.

Jack

Upvote 0
Feb 8, 2013
cerealito said:
Dual Pixel Raw looks like a marketing gimmick according to my favorite Youtuber:

https://youtu.be/W0S8shTk94E

Thanks to Tony for this.

Oh look! He starts off with a MACRO shot, and moves into another "chin to forehead" face shot.
Just like DPReview.
More examples of how not to use DPRAW.

90% of my Macro shots are at f8 and above, lots of the time I'm trying to shoot at f22 if I can blast enough light at something.
It's not uncommon for wildlife photographers to use f11 in daylight (affordable telephoto lenses are sharpest at f8 anyway).
And again, most portraits are full body, lots of them are framed for two people, and even the closeups probably aren't going to be taken from minimum focusing distance.

The baby picture was probably the most realistic, but he's still shooting a subject that's probably two feet tall with a 200f2.8 lens near minimum focus distance (and really, that image was just totally OOF).

We have yet to see a realistic application of DPRAW from reviewers.

Upvote 0
Jack Douglas said:
arthurbikemad said:
Canon said "tiny" amounts of correction from day one.

But no one has done in depth testing as of now. But the bodies ship in the next few days so info and pics will be all over.

I get tired of it, it's like so many are just out to smear Canon. Canon didn't present this as some massive feature but so many are ridiculing it. There must be a jealousy factor that comes into play with many posts. I guess that's just how it is when you're the top dog.

This camera will be another winner for Canon IMHO. A nice well rounded camera.

Jack

Only reason I play it down is people seem to think it will fix focus issues from head to toe, when the findings are not the case Canon will get bad press, but then they get bad press anyway haha, a mate of mine has been saying how he thinks it will resolve from nose to eye in portraits, I've said I think you will find its more like mid eyelash to tip. Jack I have no doubt this will be a fab camera and thats why I am on standby for the price to settle (i.e drop to normal RRP) then I will have one to go alongside my 1DX2 and move on my much loved Mk3, there are a lot of features in this camera that get overlooked, such as new info in the viewfinder (going back to the viewfinder on the Mk3 after the 1DX2 it seems to lack any info!), F8 AF, DPAF, faster FPS and well, we all know the rest...

Upvote 0
Feb 8, 2013
arthurbikemad said:
Only reason I play it down is people seem to think it will fix focus issues from head to toe, when the findings are not the case Canon will get bad press, but then they get bad press anyway haha, a mate of mine has been saying how he thinks it will resolve from nose to eye in portraits, I've said I think you will find its more like mid eyelash to tip.

DPRAW can give you focus correction from head to toe or nose to eye or any amount that you want, because you are in total control of the amount of correction available.
Right now all these ridiculous testers are just complaining about their own ignorance, setting up the camera to have a fraction of an inch of adjustment range and then whining about it.
You basically can't use the feature at 85mm f1.4, but maybe a lot of people would be better off if they did stop down a bit.

Ironically it's going to be people with zoom lenses and cheaper lenses who will benefit most.
Hopefully that fact will push the technology down to entry level bodies sooner rather than later.

Upvote 0