5D4 outed on Instagram?

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Sketchy/uncertain at best, but if someone is going to do something knuckle-headed and violate an NDA, I wouldn't be surprised if you told me it was a professional windsurfer on IG:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BF5OIMyMPC9/?taken-by=levi_siver

If indeed he was given a 5D4, he was given an NDA (or whoever was shooting him was). Someone's about to get sued.

- A

question is does the odd leak damage anything?.

I just wonder if a small leak here and there actually count more like advertising.. get people talking, a blurry image or two of a black box and then a few people who were about to buy a Nikon hold off for a month waiting to see what the new camera looks like.

Clearly you don't want to overdo it otherwise you end up with a large number of the old model that you can't shift.

Upvote 0
rfdesigner said:

I just wonder if a small leak here and there actually count more like advertising.. get people talking, a blurry image or two of a black box and then a few people who were about to buy a Nikon hold off for a month waiting to see what the new camera looks like.

Clearly you don't want to overdo it otherwise you end up with a large number of the old model that you can't shift.

Leaking the specifications for a new product months ahead of that product being available or even ready gives competitors advanced knowledge of what features your next product will have and therefore what direction your company is going and what features your competitors own products need to beat.
The NDAs aren't so that the public doesn't know - they're so that Nikon and Sony and Pentax, etc, don't know what you're doing. It's a very serious thing to tell your competitors what you are doing before you are able to start monetizing that effort.

Upvote 0
davidmurray said:
rfdesigner said:

Leaking the specifications for a new product months ahead of that product being available or even ready gives competitors advanced knowledge of what features your next product will have and therefore what direction your company is going and what features your competitors own products need to beat.
The NDAs aren't so that the public doesn't know - they're so that Nikon and Sony and Pentax, etc, don't know what you're doing. It's a very serious thing to tell your competitors what you are doing before you are able to start monetizing that effort.

indeed.. if detailed specs where leaked.. by the time I got there it had been pulled, I assumed we were talking about a few images.

Upvote 0
If all that was released just let people know for certain that a 5D IV is coming, I doubt anyone's getting sued- everyone in the camera world knows that already. (Though they may lose the privilege to test things for canon) If any detailed specs were released their will be a lot more trouble. However, if detailed specs did get released I for one didn't hear about them.

Upvote 0
Sep 25, 2010
that1guyy said:
the fact that it was removed is revealing

Seems more concealing than revealing. :D

But seriously, we don't know the context: that may or may not have been a 5D4 prototype; they may or may not have been under NDA. The fact that it was pulled only means that someone didn't want that photo to draw more attention. *cough* Streisand Effect *cough*

Suppose that they were Canon testers, but that wasn't a prototype: they might have pulled the photo just to avoid the appearance of violating the NDA. Or some fearful drone at Canon might have mistakenly believed it was a prototype and asked them to remove it.

It teases much, it tells nothing.

Upvote 0