A small but useful discovery on the M3

This may be public knowledge, but I only discovered it accidentally today.

I realized that on M3 if I use an IR remote (the tiny $7 ones) to trigger, it'd keep shooting until I press the IR remote a second time.

Has this happened to you? You set up a tripod at a landmark in the background and you try to take a family picture. 10s delay works fine if everybody cooperates (usually the kids don't!) The 2s is too short. By the time you run back from the tripod a picture of your back is taken. When I tried the IR remote on other Canon cameras, it usually takes just one shot. On M3 It will keep going and going. I can get dozens of shots. This works great when taking pictures with young kids. I can also use my phone to do it but connecting wifi is too much work.

Anyway, just thought of sharing. Do let me know how I could do the same on a 5dmk3. The only way I know is to use a cable release, which is too cumbersome.

dcm

Enjoy the gear you have!
CR Pro
Apr 18, 2013
Colorado, USA
Nice feature that was possible when they separated the drive mode (continuous) from delay/remote mode. Appears to follow the logic for bulb mode on other bodies. The switch on the back of the remote allows for immediate or 2 second delay triggered from the remote when in continuous mode. The original M, like my 6D and some other bodies I'm familiar with combine the continuous/delay/remote on a single control so you can't mix them. I'm not sure on other bodies. Maybe we will see this on new bodies in the future.

Upvote 0
dcm said:
Nice feature that was possible when they separated the drive mode (continuous) from delay/remote mode. Appears to follow the logic for bulb mode on other bodies. The switch on the back of the remote allows for immediate or 2 second delay triggered from the remote when in continuous mode. The original M, like my 6D and some other bodies I'm familiar with combine the continuous/delay/remote on a single control so you can't mix them. I'm not sure on other bodies. Maybe we will see this on new bodies in the future.

I've always assumed the IR remote would trigger only one shot like on other canon bodies, so I never bothered to try. Pretty happy to stumble upon this neat feature. This, along with face detection, will make family pictures much easier. Last year on numerous occasions I wanted to connect the m3 to my phone. No matter how quick I was, it's gotta take at least a minute to set up the wifi. Now with this IR remote, I can do it in a fingersnap.

Upvote 0