Adobe Lightroom 6 Coming March 9

Re: Adobe Lightroom 6 Coming Very Soon

3kramd5 said:
Here's hoping:

*GPU-based hardware acceleration
*Improved noise reduction tools like those found in DXO's tools
*Improved masking options
*Strip out the bloatware they've added (books)
One person's bloat is another's treasure. I like and use the Book feature, and I hope they not only keep it in (a certainty) but enhance it.

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012

Snafoo said:
One person's bloat is another's treasure. I like and use the Book feature, and I hope they not only keep it in (a certainty) but enhance it.

Fair enough. Well even though it's running and utilizing resources, at least I can disable the pallet so I don't have to see it :p

Upvote 0

GmwDarkroom said:
Marsu42 said:
Well, as for Windows, x64 makes sense even with 4gb for memory as you can only use 3gb max with x86 operating system - and that isn't ideal for LR in any case
Less even, unless Lightroom is Large Address Aware -- which I don't think 3 & 4 were. The limit for a 32 bit program running on any operating system without the flag set is 2GB per running process.

Sure, but I was talking about the *os* - and with recent hardware, that's 3gb which allows for a ~2gb LR process as lots of things are loaded alongside with windows.

I did run LR3 x86 for some time, and with a smaller catalog it's perfectly usable - but as all drivers are available in x64 and win x64 provides additional security, imho there's little reason not to use it unless you're on a tablet with a cpu that doesn't support the amd64 extensions.

Upvote 0

I will wait until they get the bugs out of version 6 before purchasing the upgrade. Usually toward the end of life cycle of a version there are some good deals. The current version, 5.7, does everything I need it to do. For me the best feature is 'synch,' which allows me to be really efficient when editing a time lapse set of photos.

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011

tss68nl said:
Hmmm, that might be the most negative mindset I've seen in a long time. I get it that you don't want to pay a monthly fee, but at least considering my investments in pre-CC photoshop and lightroom versions it's cheaper to just pay the low monthly fee. Your choice to make but it doesn't make it "not ridiculously cheap" for all of us...

As you know, the CC bundle includes both LR and PS. I do not want PS. Only LR. € 12,99 a month are NOT cheap for LR only, when I can buy a full retail license for around € 80.
"Really cheap" to me would mean ... Adobe LR CC at 99 cent a month - similar to what other "cloud apps" cost.

As far as PS is concerned, I really absolutely dislike everything about it ... namely
* the whole editing concept requiring stacks of layers (what are those good for, LR works fine without them)
* tool palettes strewn all over the place, lack of a coherent menu system
* being forced to memorize dozens of keyboard shortcuts [I never use any except CTRL-C,V,F]
* use of bloated file formats - PSDs/TIFFs, instead of just RAWs and jpgs (as in LR)
* don't ever need 95% of the software's theoretical functionality [I don't do composites of any sort, no stacking, no HDRs, always work from just one single capture/RAW file]
* absurd pricing level, especially for the 5% of functionality useful to me

Got no trouble whatsoever using Lightroom, since its UI is much more clear cut and intuitive (to me). And more similar to the UI in MS Office / Windows.

Upvote 0

LDS

Sep 14, 2012

Marsu42 said:
Sure, but I was talking about the *os* - and with recent hardware, that's 3gb which allows for a ~2gb LR process as lots of things are loaded alongside with windows.

Actually, it's a bit more complex than this. 32 bit CPU can access more than 4GB of physical RAM (exactly how 16 bit ones could access more than 64K...), but different version of Windows put different limits for how much physical memory is actually usable, regardless of how much is installed (anybody interested can look here: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa366778(v=vs.85).aspx).

Then, applications don't see physical memory. Each of them sees a virtual one. In a 32 bit system each application always sees 4GB of virtual memory (regardless of how much physical memory is installed) - just 2GB are usable by the application, the other 2 are used to "map" DLLs and other things that need a memory address. The /3GB switch allows for increasing the former at the expenses of the latter. 32 bit applications running on a 64 bit OS, can see up to the full 4GB of virtual memory.

Virtual memory is mapped to physical one (or even disk swap space) using some CPU features designed for that - since at least the Intel 80386.

The operating systems takes care of that (and managing virtual RAM requires RAM as well...), and manages its own RAM (separated from that used by applications by the CPU protection mechanism). How much physical RAM is available depends on how much is actually used by the OS and all running applications. If physical RAM gets scarce, the OS swaps some virtual RAM to disk, and it slow downs a lot applications that got memory swapped to disk.

But there are also other things that need a memory address. For example, video cards memory :) To allow the system access the video card memory, it needs to be "mapped" to a memory address within the physical 4GB boundary, and this is made at the expenses of RAM. RAM could be "relocated" above the 4GB boundary by the hardware - but in doing so it can become inaccessible by some 32 bit OS. Thereby, the larger the video card memory, the more usable RAM is "wasted" (or the video card may use less memory than you bought if for...)

Another issue is how application use memory. Memory can become "fragmented", and an application may fail to get a memory block large enough when needed even if there is available memory, but it's not "contiguous". That can happen more easily when the virtual memory overall size is smaller - as it happens on 32 bit systems.

For memory intensive applications, today using a 32 bit system makes little sense.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011

photodude said:
Does anyone have any insight on Adobe's upgrade policies?

I still have LR4.

Will Adobe allow an upgrade from LR4 to LR6?

If not, Will they give me a free upgrade to 6 if I upgrade to 5 now? (I know they are likely to do that if I made a purchase of 5 now due to the short time to the new version release)

Prior to the PS-CC rental nonsense Adobe had announced that there would no longer be any generation skipping for PS upgrades but that policy was never implemented as CS7 never happened. I wonder if they are going to apply it to LR?

I'd expect that you can upgrade to Ver 6, but the Adobe CC is a much better value since it includes photoshop.

I bought Adobe 4 for 70% off just before ver 5 came out, and got a free upgrade. There is always a risk. Once the new version is announced, free upgrades are cutoff.

Upvote 0

For those not currently on LR 5.5 and want a perpetual license vs. CC, they may want to consider purchasing LR5.5 as an alternative to the CC (software as a Service) paradigm. I initially was turned off by the cloud concept of purchasing software but recently bought the PS/LR CC bundle for $9.95/mo. You actually have to download and install PS/LR CC.

Adobe did something similar when they came out with CS6. If you had a version earlier than CS3, there was no upgrade option. You had to purchase the full product. Could happen with versions earlier than LR5 - don't know. Adobe will have to spell out the upgrade path for earlier versions. Bottomline: In essence, Adobe is saying earlier versions running on 32-bit OS platforms will not be supported in LR6.

I'm assuming that once you stop the monthly payment arrangement for CC, you still have the software on your machine - you just don't get any future updates/upgrades:

http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2014/07/what-happens-to-lightroom-after-my-membership-ends.html

$9.95/mo. really isn't a bad deal - just takes some getting used to versus the way we use to acquire software.

Mt Spokane Photography said:
photodude said:
Does anyone have any insight on Adobe's upgrade policies?

I still have LR4.

Will Adobe allow an upgrade from LR4 to LR6?

If not, Will they give me a free upgrade to 6 if I upgrade to 5 now? (I know they are likely to do that if I made a purchase of 5 now due to the short time to the new version release)

Prior to the PS-CC rental nonsense Adobe had announced that there would no longer be any generation skipping for PS upgrades but that policy was never implemented as CS7 never happened. I wonder if they are going to apply it to LR?

I'd expect that you can upgrade to Ver 6, but the Adobe CC is a much better value since it includes photoshop.

I bought Adobe 4 for 70% off just before ver 5 came out, and got a free upgrade. There is always a risk. Once the new version is announced, free upgrades are cutoff.

Upvote 0

emko said:
is something wrong? there is no public beta and its already almost March? this version must not have that much fixed/added

On the contrary, I expect they did a major overhaul (thus the delay) and the product isn't beta-worthy, so they keep working on it with a closed testers group and stringent nd agreements. If they really did the rumored performance enhancements, imho they have to exchange a good deal of the legacy lua core for optimized c code.

Upvote 0

keithfullermusic said:
i'm not sure what you mean by nonsense. CC is hands down the best deal i have ever seen in terms of software. $10/month for the best photo editing program out there with lightroom and other online resources.

I'm glad Adobe's rental scheme is working for you but that doesn't mean it works for everyone. It certainly doesn't work for me.

Upvote 0

This is how I acquired PS/LR CC. Your student discount is valid for the school term you are enrolled. I believe there was a question I had to answer when I purchased my subscription related to this. As long as the school you're attending is approved by Adobe for the discount and they can verify your enrollment -- you're good to go.

Also, if you're on CC now, when LR6 is available, providing the march release date doesn't slip, you should automatically receive the upgrade. You just need to log into CC once every 30 days. The desktop software will check for updates, etc.

AcutancePhotography said:
I hope it comes out very soon so I can still use my student discount status.

Has Adobe released any prices yet?

Upvote 0

AvTvM said:
CC is not "ridiculously cheap", but a nasty monthly rent that I will never accept.
Especially since I won't ever touch Photoshop because of its totally un-intuitive 1980's style user interface.

It's not that it has a 1980s interface that makes in un-intuitive since stuff like Deluxe Paint and basically EVERY single other paint program back in the 80s was about 100x more intuitive. Anything you wanted to do with the others you could basically just do. Not with Photoshop.

Yeah no rental model for me. I wonder how much Adobe paid the NYT today to publish an editorial praising the rental model as if it were just a regular un-biased article. On and on about how the rental model is loved by all and was created out of the goodness of Adobe for the common man, blah blah blah. Not a single PEEP about any hint of backlash or any negative aspects.

Upvote 0

RLPhoto

Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
Mar 27, 2012
San Antonio, TX
www.Ramonlperez.com

LetTheRightLensIn said:
AvTvM said:
CC is not "ridiculously cheap", but a nasty monthly rent that I will never accept.
Especially since I won't ever touch Photoshop because of its totally un-intuitive 1980's style user interface.

It's not that it has a 1980s interface that makes in un-intuitive since stuff like Deluxe Paint and basically EVERY single other paint program back in the 80s was about 100x more intuitive. Anything you wanted to do with the others you could basically just do. Not with Photoshop.

Yeah no rental model for me. I wonder how much Adobe paid the NYT today to publish an editorial praising the rental model as if it were just a regular un-biased article. On and on about how the rental model is loved by all and was created out of the goodness of Adobe for the common man, blah blah blah. Not a single PEEP about any hint of backlash or any negative aspects.
Yep. I'll be holding onto my CS6 Copies for Along time. The only way adobe could strip them from my hands would be to update the .dng converter to no longer support newer camera and/or make LR-CC the only option. Both of which would officially bankrupt my trust for adobe.

Upvote 0

wtlloyd said:
It is ridiculously cheap compared to hardware, unless that's a self-made pinhole camera you're using.
And you're welcome, speaking for users like me who paid their share of support for the development of new technologies like content aware fill.

Thank yourself for the years you've been able to use it before the rest of us. It wasn't charity.

Upvote 0

There's always GIMP -- AND its free:

http://www.gimp.org

For what its worth, unless end-users of these products actually complain en masse, or at least in significant numbers to influence Adobe's pricing model, I'm afraid the SaaS (Software as a Service) distribution model (aka Cloud) is here for the foreseeable future.

Adobe's stock don't seem to be hurting any ... Sorry. Tried to copy the stock chart from the NY Times. I wasn't able to copy the entire chart for some reason.

Attachments

• snap_chart_buffer.png
    snap_chart_buffer.png
    2.5 KB · Views: 1,876
Upvote 0