Anything shot with a 5D4

StudentOfLight

I'm on a life-long journey of self-discovery
Nov 2, 2013
Cape Town
Are you happy with the sports shooting capabilities? I used my 5D-III for Figure-skating every so often (ISO 3200-6400 range) and would definitely appreciate the 40% higher resolution and extra frame/sec.

Why is the lama picture looking so noisy in the out of focus areas? I expected the 5D-IV to look much better than that? ???

Upvote 0
Here are my photos from Chiefs v Chargers. Only worked on jpegs (yes, they are post processed). Used 70-200L II 2.8 and 400L 2.8.

Impressed with autofocus. Happy with shutter speed. With really harsh light and shadows, felt the dynamic range was good. The larger files really let you crop well on photos I'd usually never bother with, too.

Hope you like: https://www.flickr.com/gp/127024339@N07/68Z6p4

Upvote 0
patchadams91wm6 said:
Here are my photos from Chiefs v Chargers. Only worked on jpegs (yes, they are post processed). Used 70-200L II 2.8 and 400L 2.8.

Impressed with autofocus. Happy with shutter speed. With really harsh light and shadows, felt the dynamic range was good. The larger files really let you crop well on photos I'd usually never bother with, too.

These are very impressive! Looks like it really nailed focus in the action. Couldn't see your f stops, but it's shallow DOF. Like the colors- skin tone is pretty darn good.
Getting mine Tuesday(Sept. 13th) It's baptism will be the Reno Air Races from the pylons. 500 mph within 50 feet. That should test the focusing system.

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
KeithBreazeal said:
patchadams91wm6 said:

These are very impressive! Looks like it really nailed focus in the action. Couldn't see your f stops, but it's shallow DOF. Like the colors- skin tone is pretty darn good.
Getting mine Tuesday(Sept. 13th) It's baptism will be the Reno Air Races from the pylons. 500 mph within 50 feet. That should test the focusing system.

This is getting exciting, do continue to follow through with feedback and photos! :)

Jack

Upvote 0

zim

CR Pro
Oct 18, 2011
KeithBreazeal said:

No disrespect to anyone else but I'm more familiar with your air photos! so I'm really looking forward to your thoughts on how the 4 performs at air shows. No doubt the weather will be fabulous but it would be interesting if you could push the iso a bit 1/8000 - f16ish ;D I'm not too bothered about seeing noise more it's quality which will indicate how well it cleans up in C1/DxO
Have fun!!!

Upvote 0

StudentOfLight

I'm on a life-long journey of self-discovery
Nov 2, 2013
Cape Town
Great images Josh. I'm glad to see the 5D-IV holding onto the details inthe red channel so well. My 5D-III could clip the red channel quite easily, so I used to end up underexposing to retain vibrant reds and shadows would suffer as a result. Looks like Canon solved all those problems and then some.

How have you chosen to customize the camera?

Upvote 0

rbielefeld

CR Pro
Apr 22, 2015
Mancubus said:
rbielefeld said:
I only had one morning with the 5DIV, but I was impressed. 30mp and 7 fps is a capable combination for birds IMO.

Amazing shots!! Which lens? And how much crop?

The owl images were shot with the Canon 600mm f/4 IS II naked and with the 1.4x TC attached. The Flight shot is almost full frame and was shot with the 1.4x TC on the 600. The perched images were shot without the TC and are approximately 35% of the original frame.

The natural light was pretty much perfect this particular morning.

Upvote 0
StudentOfLight said:
Great images Josh. I'm glad to see the 5D-IV holding onto the details inthe red channel so well. My 5D-III could clip the red channel quite easily, so I used to end up underexposing to retain vibrant reds and shadows would suffer as a result. Looks like Canon solved all those problems and then some.

How have you chosen to customize the camera?

Thanks again. I go with Autofocus #4; seems to be what co-workers use on their 1dx's; worked great. Back button focus, AF servo. Use 41 point cross type autofocus, and then have 4 point cross to help with focus. Focus priority on both. Turned off all the lens correction software in camera. Another thing is I set up * button for shadows (ie: player running in sunlight, gonna have certain shutterspeed etc. Instead of shooting in AV/TV, I set up pre-game my shadow numbers. So Af-ON is primary back focus button, then use * for focus and shadows. Hope that makes sense).

Upvote 0