Got some "stuff" in my R5 viewfinder. Dust? Fungus?

Nov 12, 2016
Just noticed that I have something inside my R5 viewfinder. Any opinions on what this is? (Ignore the countless micro scratches on the outside and dust around the edges, yeesh!) I guess I'm mainly looking for the reassurance to not freak out about it. Even if it is fungus, from what I have read about fungus in camera equipment, it can't really "spread" between cameras and lenses, but rather it's pretty much present everywhere at all times, and it's just waiting for a good environment (moist) to be able to actually take hold and grow? Thanks.

1R0_1255 copy.jpg1R0_12552.jpg

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
Difficult to say exactly what that is from the pic. All I can say is that recently I took my old and retired G1X out of a drawer a few days ago and was surprised to find a rather nasty blob of fungus bang in the middle of the viewfinder. I was surprised because the camera has always been kept in a dry house apart from when I was using it, but I do recall getting that camera pretty wet on a number of occasions, and I believe that it has stemmed from dampness getting into the viewfinder and then not being dried out properly.
In your case there appear to be three separate ‘blotches’ which I think is rather unfungus-like to be honest, but I can’t think what else it could be.
One tip; when cleaning the viewfinder don’t use sandpaper. Try a soft lens tissue !

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2016
In your case there appear to be three separate ‘blotches’ which I think is rather unfungus-like to be honest, but I can’t think what else it could be.
One tip; when cleaning the viewfinder don’t use sandpaper. Try a soft lens tissue !
Yeah I get that the viewfinder looks awful in that photo, but it's really not that bad at all. I had to shine the brightest LED work light I have on the viewfinder and use an extension tube on my lens to get that photo. The specks inside the viewfinder are tiny, like smaller than a pinhead. Then I cranked up the clarity and contrast to bring out the detail. Yes the overall condition of the viewfinder does look shockingly bad, and it certainly does teach me to maybe not use my shirt to wipe off the viewfinder in the future. But those scratches are nothing you would ever see unless you shine a really bright light on the viewfinder like I did here.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Nov 12, 2016
I'm wondering if on the edges, it isn't something salt and minerals probably from your sweat. Towards the middle left, that looks like abrasions.
The stuff around the edges is just miscellaneous dirt and grime. Just like the viewfinder scratches, it looks worse than it is because it's an extreme closeup with a very bright LED light shined right on it.

The stuff I'm worried about is definitely something other than an abrasion. It's on the under-side of the viewfinder, so it must be either dust or maybe fungus. Not sure.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
The stuff around the edges is just miscellaneous dirt and grime. Just like the viewfinder scratches, it looks worse than it is because it's an extreme closeup with a very bright LED light shined right on it.

The stuff I'm worried about is definitely something other than an abrasion. It's on the under-side of the viewfinder, so it must be either dust or maybe fungus. Not sure.
I'd say it definitely looks like fungus (shape, colour). better have it fixed, since the sensor is also made of glass.
Quick!
Meanwhile, expose the viewfinder to sunlight or UV, but, of course, without "baking" the camera. ;)

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0