Baby Goose Series

After crawling on my stomach about 150 feet, in full camouflage, with my 500mm on a skimmer pod, I was undetected amidst the flock of geese with babies. My shares:

MRS_20160520_108_LM_web_v1_800w_iwm-2.jpg

MRS_20160520_110_LM_web_v1_800w_iwm.jpg

MRS_20160520_114_LM_web_v1_800w_iwm.jpg

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
At the local park, you almost trip over the geese. I shot these with my trusty 70-200 while seated on a park bench with the geese about 20 feet away.... The adult geese would walk past five feet away......

Attachments

• goose1.jpg
    goose1.jpg
    236 KB · Views: 233
  • goose2.jpg
    goose2.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 224
  • goose3.jpg
    goose3.jpg
    384.1 KB · Views: 244
Upvote 0
Don Haines said:
At the local park, you almost trip over the geese. I shot these with my trusty 70-200 while seated on a park bench with the geese about 20 feet away.... The adult geese would walk past five feet away......

Thanks for the input, Don. Parks can be a great place to shoot, in some circumstances.

That said, my shooting style and preferences don't work well in public park areas where people, children, and dogs are running loose. I prefer to be in a more private area so I can feel safer and more at ease lying on the ground for artistic eye-level shots, and know the birds won't be scared away by a dog or child. It puts the nature back in nature photography, for me anyway.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Don Haines said:

At the parks and wildfowl reserves here, Greylag and Canada geese are just as common to the extent that I never photograph them.

Upvote 0

bjd

Aug 29, 2011
Upvote 0
bjd said:
Hi Werz, fabulous shots of the baby geese.

Could you please share the EXIF of at least one of the pics?
I am using a 7D MKII and 100-400 and get sharp shots, but never like those.
Or maybe its just superior photographic technique..........

Cheers Brian

Hey there Brian!

If you click on each of the shots it will take you to my Flickr page where you will see all the EXIFs :)

I was laying on the ground with a tripod, might explain the sharpness or it just might be the post-processing.

Upvote 0
First off: GOSLINGS! Like that Ryan character but slightly smaller and perhaps a little fluffier... In the English language the word is 'Gosling' :)

and B) Some great photographs here, thanks for sharing! I don't understand Flickr anymore though, you reckon we're meant to be able to find EXIF info on there like we used to? I'm not finding anything, anywhere but I've become totally de-familiarised with it all since they went and turned it into an iCameraPhone mess of a site... really though, I've tried; it's there, somewhere?

Upvote 0

bjd

Aug 29, 2011
Khufu said:
First off: GOSLINGS! Like that Ryan character but slightly smaller and perhaps a little fluffier... In the English language the word is 'Gosling' :)

and B) Some great photographs here, thanks for sharing! I don't understand Flickr anymore though, you reckon we're meant to be able to find EXIF info on there like we used to? I'm not finding anything, anywhere but I've become totally de-familiarised with it all since they went and turned it into an iCameraPhone mess of a site... really though, I've tried; it's there, somewhere?
Yeah, I don't see any EXIFs in Flickr either, but I did find them on 500pix for at least one shot, its probably there for the others too.

As I see nothing unexpected in the EXIF, would you mind telling me how you sharpen Dominic?

Thanks.

Cheers Brian

Upvote 0
bjd said:
Khufu said:

Yeah, I don't see any EXIFs in Flickr either, but I did find them on 500pix for at least one shot, its probably there for the others too.

As I see nothing unexpected in the EXIF, would you mind telling me how you sharpen Dominic?

Thanks.

Cheers Brian

Hi Brian,

Hm I'm not sure why it's not showing the EXIFs for you guys :(

Here you go with the photo titles :)

Chaaaaaarge!
Canon EOS 7D Mark II
EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS II USM
ƒ/5.6 400.0 mm 1/1000 400 Flash (off, did not fire)

First Steps
Canon EOS 7D Mark II
ƒ/6.3 400.0 mm 1/640 3200 Flash (off, did not fire)

A brand new world
Canon EOS 7D Mark II
ƒ/6.3 400.0 mm 1/1000 1000 Flash (off, did not fire)

For sharpening, I either apply a general 25 sharpening first (or none at all) then I use the (cant remember the name now) selective airbursh thing in Lightroom to apply localized sharpening on my subject (as well as any other modifications applied only to the subject).

Sometimes I will also do some high pass sharpening in photoshop, depending.

Hope that helps :)

Upvote 0

bjd

Aug 29, 2011
Werz said:
bjd said:
Khufu said:

Thanks.

Cheers Brian

Hi Brian,

Hm I'm not sure why it's not showing the EXIFs for you guys :(

Here you go with the photo titles :)

Chaaaaaarge!
Canon EOS 7D Mark II
ƒ/5.6 400.0 mm 1/1000 400 Flash (off, did not fire)

First Steps
Canon EOS 7D Mark II
ƒ/6.3 400.0 mm 1/640 3200 Flash (off, did not fire)

A brand new world
Canon EOS 7D Mark II
ƒ/6.3 400.0 mm 1/1000 1000 Flash (off, did not fire)

For sharpening, I either apply a general 25 sharpening first (or none at all) then I use the (cant remember the name now) selective airbursh thing in Lightroom to apply localized sharpening on my subject (as well as any other modifications applied only to the subject).

Sometimes I will also do some high pass sharpening in photoshop, depending.

Hope that helps :)
Hi Dominic,
thats very kind of you, thanks very much. Up till now I never used the sharpening in LR due to artefacts that appear if I use the masking function. When I do sharpen then in PS with selective sharpening on the luminanz channel in Lab mode. I'm not sure if that is really up to date any more.

Cheers Brian

Upvote 0