Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS III coming ahead of Photokina [CR3]

Does it make sense to upgrade all this glass right before launching a new MILF FF mount? I think it does not. Therefore, my intuition is that the new MILF FF Canon camera will use the EF mount, or some variation of it that may be full compatible with existing EF lenses. But what about the flange distance and focus motor differences required by a MILF camera. Well, maybe these lenses have some hidden upgrade in the focus actuation and/or hardware/firmware that make them more suitable to MILF cameras. In this case, the recent “upgrade” on the 70-200 f2,8 III which apparently didn’t upgrade much, could actually be a “stealth” upgrade, already including internal features that are only going to become relevant once the new MILF FF camera is announced/released...

You'll see that this has nothing to do with mirrorless. Canon won't be targeting professional sports use or the such with their mirrorless at this stage. These lenses will form the backbone of their 2020 Olympics lineup along with the 1DX III. You won't see a mirrorless competitor to A9 for a long time from Canon or Nikon which will also release a D6 next year. The best you can hope for is very good AF speed when used on an adapter on their mirrorless. Will Canon have the AF to match Sony and Nikon's mirrorless though? We know Nikon is targeting A73 and A7R3 and AF is over 400 AF points

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
Canon Rumors Guy,

If I sell my 400mm II lens right now, how long will I have to wait before being able to purchase and have the new version in hand?

57 days. 55 days if you have it overnighted, unless it is overnight via the United States Post Office. In that case you'll wait 62 days.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Aug 31, 2014
UK
I'm just hoping here that Canon have decided that DO elements are now just part of the lens design and that naming lens with DO in the title is no longer a thing, I did a qick search and found this:-
Canon-600mm-f4-400mm-f2.8-lens-patents.png

I wonder if thats why the 600 DO prototype has a red ring?

Upvote 0
I'm still waiting for some 24-70 @ 2.8 Photokina CR3! It is getting close and there is again complete radio silence. And I will even not start about the unicorn (new 50).

Anyway. This is interesting pair to be released together considering how they were released previously. Maybe they will not be just refreshes with new coatings. If these are not just refreshes it will also be interesting to see what will happen with prices - both prices of new models and used MK.II.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
2 pounds ~ 0.9 Kg would make it lighter than a DO version! Not likely but we can always hope...
Regarding coatings Canon's Sub Wavelength Coating (that all big white teles have) seems similarly good with ASC

http://www.canon.com.hk/cpx/en/technical/pa_ASC-Reduction_of_Flare_and_Ghosting.html

Actually this is just my interepretation. But, I do not believe reduction of flare can be quantified and so compared in theory.

Upvote 0