Canon EOS-1D C Available for Preorder from B&H Photo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Respinder

5D Mark III
Mar 4, 2012
Re: Canon EOS-1D C Available for Preorder from B&H Photo

To be honest, I don't think the price is too high when you consider the price impacts associated with 4K technology.

For instance, Sony's 84" 4K television is $24,000. By comparison, a 2K 80" TV would run you roughly $4000.

The fact of the matter is that 4K is not just an evolution, it is a revolution, in the same way HDTV replaced SDTV. I would, however, hold off on this purchase considering that in another few years, these cameras will come down to affordable prices - as will 4K televisions. Of course, by that point, the next "big" thing will be 8K!

Upvote 0
May 12, 2011

Don Haines said:
12K for the camera, 10K for a monitor to view the images, many K for the computer to hold the images and drive the monitor..... for me, it just doesn't fly.

This, http://ardrone2.parrot.com/, is a far better option for me.....

You don't need a 4K monitor to display 4K footage.

Upvote 0
May 12, 2011

expatinasia said:
sanj said:
I am a cinematographer. I do not shoot on DSLR much. However I am in touch with people who do. I rent out my gear a lot.

Posting this to tell you guys that this camera is creating SUPER buzz where I am (Bombay) in the low budget film community... FYI.

Why is that sanj? I just do not understand this camera at all. What is so great about it, apart from the 4K, compared to the XF 300 (US$ 6K) or the lower XA10 (US$ 1.8K)?

Because the XF300 and XA10 don't shoot anywhere close to 4K, and hardly any cameras on the market (if any) will shoot 4K onto CF cards. And it's hard to squeeze the XF300 and XA10 into small spaces, they don't have anywhere close to as big a sensor (or low-light capability), can't use EF lenses. Not to mention they don't have the exact same capabilities as Canon's flagship 1DX like the 1DC does. The 1DC does everything the 1DX does and then some.

That being said, I don't think the 1DC is really geared towards 5D/7D shooters, it's more for the cinema industry and I think it will be very popular for certain things. There isn't really one camera that does everything perfectly.

Upvote 0

bp

Jun 1, 2011

The specs-nerd in me would be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed at 8bit and no RAW. For a camera this pricey, that's a let down. FS700-style framerates would also be in line with the price tag.

...but the hybrid shooter in me who already wants a 1DX - I spend about half my time shooting stills, and half my time doing video - would be lying if I said I didn't want it anyway.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.