Canon EOS 5Ds & EOS 5Ds R Image & Video Samples

Re: Canon EOS 5Ds & EOS 5Ds R Image & Video Samples

One of the biggest disappointments I have with this announcement is Canon was LAZY and didn't move up to using CFast. You'd think with files that big they'd want to go CFast, which has been a standard for a long time now. Or at least dual CF UDMA7, I mean, come on!

And, what'd be a really neat trick, is now that there is USB3 (yay!), if they were to implement raw video using a computer with SSD(s) to stream through the USB3. Well...crunching the numbers, that wouldn't work. Assuming 30 fps, 64MB per frame, that's 15.36 Gigabit/sec needed. Thunderbolt 2 could likely manage that, but we don't have it on the camera. Perhaps a crop-mode, or an s- or m-RAW format would work though.

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2011

V8Beast said:
itsnotmeyouknow said:
I have both the Pentax 645Z and the D800E and the Pentax is just superb. The only time I have used my D800E since I got the Z was for a magazine article where the magazine insisted I shoot with the Nikon. I had the 5D3 before the nikon and lived the high ISO performance and the truly silent silent shutter (Nikons implementation of this is poor way to much sound on the quiet shutter). I gave the camera to my brother in law to borrow.

The Z performs really well at all ISOs low as well as ridiculously high. Dynamic range is more than 14 stops and I tend to ETTL rather than ETTR as you can push so much detail from the shadows it's ridiculous.

With the new canon I know people are asking for shots at wide apertures but since they are pitching this at landscape shooters like me so f/11 is far more typical for my style of shooting than f/4 or f/5.6 would ever be. So tests should be on this basis of apertures f/8 to f/16. With nikon I frequently shoot at f/11-16 and the Pentax I'm normally in f/11-16 with some forays into f/22. I don't do pixel peeping so am not nitty picky about theoretical diffraction.

The only thing that would get me back to Canon with this would be if they sort out the low ISO noise and banding and get to 14 stops of DR. I don't want to be forced to do HDR because the camera can't shoot scenes I want to. I am in the market for a possible replacement for the Nikon but may see what Sony offers by way of A7R2

Thanks for the feedback. Your impressions echo the sentiments of others who have used or owned both the D800 and the 645Z. How do you like the Pentax glass?

I can comment on the Pentax HD DA 645 28-45mm F4.5 ED AW SR Lens (shooting only lanscapes)
1. Expensive
2. Big (some may say massive) and heavy but balances well with the body
3. Optical stabilization works very well
Paired with the 645Z it takes some very amazing sharp shots. (when I get my computer back up and running I'll post some examples).

Upvote 0

xps said:
Some od us - like me dislike the new 5Ds.
But honestly, the 5Ds will be well sold. Be sure, the IQ maybe not better than existing bodies, but equal to them. So millions of buyers like the IQ of Canon and they will buy this high-MP body.

I wonder, why the AF area is so small. My son´s brand new 7DII has nearly double the AF-Area. (added picture from Canon.de)

If you look at the AF examples Canon posted you will notice that the AF sensors need to be no wider than the 1.6x crop. Otherwise the sensors will fall out side the image area. I would imagine this would be a problem. So with three possible formats, the smallest dictates how wide the array can be.

I question Canon having this role out without any real studio/landscape/portrait imagery. The samples thus far look like after thoughts. Hey someone get on the roof and shoot the city before we announce tomorrow. If you are trying to sell cameras wouldn't want really stellar imagery for your marketing push?

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012

KBStudio said:
I question Canon having this role out without any real studio/landscape/portrait imagery. The samples thus far look like after thoughts. Hey someone get on the roof and shoot the city before we announce tomorrow. If you are trying to sell cameras wouldn't want really stellar imagery for your marketing push?

I'm generally underwhelmed by Canon's choice of sample images.

Upvote 0

Mogwai2 said:
David Noton loves the new 5D´s.

And honestly i give more about his opinion then on the opinions of nobodys on internet forums.

The new 5D´s will rock in the right hands.

I agree.

http://www.magezinepublishing.com/equipment/images/equipment/EOS-5DS-5716/highres/EOS-5DS-Sample-Image_Canon-Explorer_David-Noton2-resized_1423145852.jpg

http://www.magezinepublishing.com/equipment/images/equipment/EOS-5DS-5716/highres/EOS-5DS-Sample-Image_Canon-Explorer_David-Noton1-resized_1423145844.jpg

Source: http://www.ephotozine.com/article/canon-eos-5ds-5ds-r-hands-on-sample-photos-26928

Upvote 0

Kahuna said:
V8Beast said:
itsnotmeyouknow said:
I have both the Pentax 645Z and the D800E and the Pentax is just superb. The only time I have used my D800E since I got the Z was for a magazine article where the magazine insisted I shoot with the Nikon. I had the 5D3 before the nikon and lived the high ISO performance and the truly silent silent shutter (Nikons implementation of this is poor way to much sound on the quiet shutter). I gave the camera to my brother in law to borrow.

The Z performs really well at all ISOs low as well as ridiculously high. Dynamic range is more than 14 stops and I tend to ETTL rather than ETTR as you can push so much detail from the shadows it's ridiculous.

With the new canon I know people are asking for shots at wide apertures but since they are pitching this at landscape shooters like me so f/11 is far more typical for my style of shooting than f/4 or f/5.6 would ever be. So tests should be on this basis of apertures f/8 to f/16. With nikon I frequently shoot at f/11-16 and the Pentax I'm normally in f/11-16 with some forays into f/22. I don't do pixel peeping so am not nitty picky about theoretical diffraction.

The only thing that would get me back to Canon with this would be if they sort out the low ISO noise and banding and get to 14 stops of DR. I don't want to be forced to do HDR because the camera can't shoot scenes I want to. I am in the market for a possible replacement for the Nikon but may see what Sony offers by way of A7R2

Thanks for the feedback. Your impressions echo the sentiments of others who have used or owned both the D800 and the 645Z. How do you like the Pentax glass?

I can comment on the Pentax HD DA 645 28-45mm F4.5 ED AW SR Lens (shooting only lanscapes)
1. Expensive
2. Big (some may say massive) and heavy but balances well with the body
3. Optical stabilization works very well
Paired with the 645Z it takes some very amazing sharp shots. (when I get my computer back up and running I'll post some examples).

I echo this, the 28 - 45 is massive, partly perhaps because of SR, which I could have lived without.

Here are a few images from the last few days:

Elterwater-morning by singingsnapper, on Flickr

Elterwater-morning-2 by singingsnapper, on Flickr

Last-Light-at-Waterhead by singingsnapper, on Flickr

Last-Light-at-Waterhead-2 by singingsnapper, on Flickr

and one with one of the older type lenses the FA (autofocus) 80 - 160 - this is rumoured to be being replaced soon:

Langdale-View-2 by singingsnapper, on Flickr

Beryl-2 by singingsnapper, on Flickr

Upvote 0

Per Mike Burnhil, Canon UK CPS said they didnt move to CFast because they dont want to annoy customers. That's why the chasis of the 5DS/R are identical to the 5D Mark III.

Fast forward to 8:20 http://www.fotosidan.se/cldoc/video-interview-canon-eos-5ds-and.htm

Another interesting point is starting with the Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM lenses announced from 2010-onwards are designed for high pixel density sensors. Tough luck to me then. ;D

Like you I would love to transition to CFast but who wants to pay $180 for a Lexar 32GB memory card? Yes, it is 3400x (510MB/s read) but still.

I would rather see Canon make the transition to CFast with their Cinema EOS line andlater transition to CFast once $/GB be at par with CF cards of today.

Mike also mentions high pixel density camera makes lousy video cameras.

Again, looking forward to the 5D Mark IV hopefully with 4K, modest MP bump, Sony-level DR and all the bells and whistles in August.

Drizzt321 said:
One of the biggest disappointments I have with this announcement is Canon was LAZY and didn't move up to using CFast. You'd think with files that big they'd want to go CFast, which has been a standard for a long time now. Or at least dual CF UDMA7, I mean, come on!

And, what'd be a really neat trick, is now that there is USB3 (yay!), if they were to implement raw video using a computer with SSD(s) to stream through the USB3. Well...crunching the numbers, that wouldn't work. Assuming 30 fps, 64MB per frame, that's 15.36 Gigabit/sec needed. Thunderbolt 2 could likely manage that, but we don't have it on the camera. Perhaps a crop-mode, or an s- or m-RAW format would work though.

Upvote 0

I appreciate they've not made a massive leap like Sony did, but if they have improved the sensor quality by matching the DR of the current 5D III then if the same tech was used on the lower-res 5D III would it not increase the DR of that sensor? Not massive jump agreed.

The comparisons with a MF sensor from an outcome perspective are fair, especially as Canon are marketing it as a competitor. But for most people it is quality at a price point. And a $3.6K vs $8.6K excluding lens is surely like comparing the Audi to a Porsche? If money is no object, a Pentax is better. But then so is a Phase One.

Ultimately Canon did their research and produced the best possible with their resources. None of us know why the off-chip ADC is still there, nor the 180nm or 500nm process.

In reflection, what were the chances that Canon were going to produce a step-change in the 5Ds having just launched the 7D II?

I would be surprised if a A7r II has a step-change increase in DR over the A7r. If it matches it, given the higher resolution, will people be disappointed?

Upvote 0

Anyone shooting 50mp with poor technique will hate the image results. My concern is that given the same performance as the existing 5d3 sensor, the reasons to go for the 645Z will still be valid. I've shot stuff at iso 6400 and higher, and can pull exposure +4.

Here's an ISO test batch if someone wants to dig in further: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/p6t3qx0t39p8mvv/AAA4PcwDSj2MNKiOpr13H5f-a?dl=0

It's with the Z, mirror locked up, with the 400/5.6 (a legacy lens) at f/8 going from ISO100 to ISO 204k shooting part of the Space Needle here in Seattle at night. I got a little out of order with the shots, but all the metadata is there.

Upvote 0

Stu_bert said:
I appreciate they've not made a massive leap like Sony did, but if they have improved the sensor quality by matching the DR of the current 5D III then if the same tech was used on the lower-res 5D III would it not increase the DR of that sensor? Not massive jump agreed.

The comparisons with a MF sensor from an outcome perspective are fair, especially as Canon are marketing it as a competitor. But for most people it is quality at a price point. And a $3.6K vs $8.6K excluding lens is surely like comparing the Audi to a Porsche? If money is no object, a Pentax is better. But then so is a Phase One.

Ultimately Canon did their research and produced the best possible with their resources. None of us know why the off-chip ADC is still there, nor the 180nm or 500nm process.

In reflection, what were the chances that Canon were going to produce a step-change in the 5Ds having just launched the 7D II?

I would be surprised if a A7r II has a step-change increase in DR over the A7r. If it matches it, given the higher resolution, will people be disappointed?

I'm looking at the A7rII as a possible replacement for my Nikon, to use as a smaller back up camera. As long as it has at least as much DR as the present A7R has I will pull the trigger on it.

I think that Canon are making a rod for their own back by promoting it as competing with medium format. It isn't all about resolution.

Upvote 0