Canon EOS M5 Review from Dustin

Crosswind said:
Hey Dustin. Great review - as always!

I also bought the M5 recently and I'm very happy with it (coming from a 6D - and I'm not disappointed).

There's only one negative point about this camera; it is made out of very very cheap plastic and I don't know if that's gonna be a problem in the long run. Even when I carefully grab it, sometimes the grip part "creaks and cracks" a bit (even with smaller lenses on it - like my 24mm 2.8 IS USM you can see in the picture). And the screen also makes some noise when I tilt it down. Even the EOS M10 (which is my backup body for now) is made out of higher quality materials.

That's a bit questionable for a pricetag of over a 1000 bucks. I hope that Canon will do better in this regard with their next high-end EOS M body.

Another minor con is that there is only one card slot, and it shares one place with the battery compartment (that's a bit inconvenient) and that the body is not weather sealed. But otherwise... it's my perfect little travel companion!

The things I like the most about it is especially the excellent image quality at low ISO (better than the 6D), small and lightweight body, great ergonomics, integrated EVF, big and flexible display, quick AF, 9 FPS... and of course that it can take all my EF lenses with the supplied adapter (I do not own a single EF-M lens) and it works perfectly.

None of the subsequent M series has felt as well built as the M classic. It was beautifully built. The bottom plate is probably what feels cheapest to me on the M5, but hopefully everything is more durable than it looks.

Image quality has always been a strength for the M series. They regularly outperform equivalent APS-C DSLRs, for some reason.

Upvote 0
AlanF said:
I find the M5 great fun, and carry it around with me. As I mentioned, I borrowed and have now bought the Samyang 8mm f/2.8 fisheye. It's very amusing. Here is a scene from Cambridge I took on my first outing with it.

Nice! The M3 and (in particular) M5 are great platforms for using MF glass. When you can magnify in the EVF it makes focus simple, though with a lens like the 8mm you're using there isn't really much focus involved. It's similar with the 12mm f/2 that I have.

Upvote 0
I am quite annoyed by that squeaky noise in the grip. Initially I thought I got a defective body. I bought three more bodies from different stores and they all have squeaky noise to different degrees. Eventually I settled with the least noisy one. Not very happy after paying $1000. Everytime I want to return it I remind myself that the only true alternative is fuji xt2 which is too expensive if I were to invest into the system.

Crosswind said:
Hey Dustin. Great review - as always!

I also bought the M5 recently and I'm very happy with it (coming from a 6D - and I'm not disappointed).

There's only one negative point about this camera; it is made out of very very cheap plastic and I don't know if that's gonna be a problem in the long run. Even when I carefully grab it, sometimes the grip part "creaks and cracks" a bit (even with smaller lenses on it - like my 24mm 2.8 IS USM you can see in the picture). And the screen also makes some noise when I tilt it down. Even the EOS M10 (which is my backup body for now) is made out of higher quality materials.

That's a bit questionable for a pricetag of over a 1000 bucks. I hope that Canon will do better in this regard with their next high-end EOS M body.

Another minor con is that there is only one card slot, and it shares one place with the battery compartment (that's a bit inconvenient) and that the body is not weather sealed. But otherwise... it's my perfect little travel companion!

The things I like the most about it is especially the excellent image quality at low ISO (better than the 6D), small and lightweight body, great ergonomics, integrated EVF, big and flexible display, quick AF, 9 FPS... and of course that it can take all my EF lenses with the supplied adapter (I do not own a single EF-M lens) and it works perfectly.

Upvote 0

Al Chemist

Be kind to a stranger, it is contagious!
Nov 23, 2014
I have a M5 that developed the creak in the grip area after it was too late to exchange. Upon doing some research, I find that this is a pretty common problem.
Thank you Dustin for the common sense review!!!

I am a chemist by profession (not an "alchemist" LOL) and polycarbonate is a very good tough polymer. It is the material that is used for all the black Canon lenses and many of the internal parts of the whites.

I removed the battery and pressed on the inside of the battery box and there was definitely a creak. There is a gap between the metal box and the fairly thin plastic at that location. I am totally afraid to do anything permanent such as a drop of glue so I tried a small piece of post-it note paper as a shim. The Iphone pics aren't very clear but I started the paper in the straight area and forced it into the curve of the grip as best I could. It's still an experiment in progress but the creak pretty much went away. I wanted to be able to remove the paper so I just folded a tab inside the battery box as shown. I think I will try a plastic shim if I can find some thin sheet plastic with enough flex to start around the bend. At least now I'm not reminded of the creak ever time I hold the camera.

I hope this helps. If anyone finds a better more elegant fix, please let us know.

Attachments

• IMG_0816.JPG
    IMG_0816.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 273
  • IMG_0817.JPG
    IMG_0817.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 254
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Al Chemist said:
I have a M5 that developed the creak in the grip area after it was too late to exchange. Upon doing some research, I find that this is a pretty common problem.
Thank you Dustin for the common sense review!!!

I am a chemist by profession (not an "alchemist" LOL) and polycarbonate is a very good tough polymer. It is the material that is used for all the black Canon lenses and many of the internal parts of the whites.

I removed the battery and pressed on the inside of the battery box and there was definitely a creak. There is a gap between the metal box and the fairly thin plastic at that location. I am totally afraid to do anything permanent such as a drop of glue so I tried a small piece of post-it note paper as a shim. The Iphone pics aren't very clear but I started the paper in the straight area and forced it into the curve of the grip as best I could. It's still an experiment in progress but the creak pretty much went away. I wanted to be able to remove the paper so I just folded a tab inside the battery box as shown. I think I will try a plastic shim if I can find some thin sheet plastic with enough flex to start around the bend. At least now I'm not reminded of the creak ever time I hold the camera.

I hope this helps. If anyone finds a better more elegant fix, please let us know.

But yet by solving this puzzle...you are a Wizard!
(Canon will see this and start including branded paper shims)

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
The AF on the M5 is remarkable. I have a Kenko Teleplus 3xTC (it's better than the 2xTC https://www.ephotozine.com/article/kenko-teleplus-teleconverters-2x-and-3x--review-14047). It is no longer available and was marketed as not autofocussing and non-reporting. But, the M5 successfully AFs it with the 400D II at 1200mm and f/12 and the 300/2.8 II at 900mm and f/8.4. The results are very good using charts and I am looking to using it for real. The big DSLRs with DPAF struggle to focus the 3xTC in liveview and fail in standard AF.

Upvote 0

Al Chemist

Be kind to a stranger, it is contagious!
Nov 23, 2014
I replaced the post-it note paper with a piece of overhead transparency plastic (from my old teaching days). Looks better when you open the compartment (not that that is important) and works the same. You can hear a creak if you press in enough spots but for the most part, when I pick up the camera it isn't noticeable at all. Oh, and the camera still works, whew!

I suspect that most M5's will develop this creak to some extent after time...mine took about 30 days.

Thanks for promoting me to Wizard slclick!

Upvote 0

Crosswind

The bigger your Canon, the smaller your Cannon :)
Feb 2, 2015
Austria
Another thing I want to mention is, that when you look trough the EVF and it is very cold out there (approx. -10 ° C or even colder), in some cases it won't automatically switch back to the rear display as it should.

In this case, it can help to wait several seconds, shut the camera off/on, or wipe off the eye-sensor (even if there is no dust or snow on it). I guess this could have to do with a bit of "fog" (if this is the right term) on the eye-piece sensor, as I put on a balaclava (it was very cold in the alps) - and the air I breath also goes a bit upwards to my eyes and then onto the viewfinder screen.

In normal conditions like 0 ° C and above, I have not experienced this problem.

(edit) Also; when activating the nightmode (orange/darker display), I have experienced, that in this case the self-timer does not work. The camera wont fire off, but when I used a different shooting mode or single shot, it was no problem. It was pretty cold though. So I don't know if this is a software issue or only a problem, when it is very cold out there.

Anyways... I am still very impressed by the M5. With the 24IS and 50STM, it is a pretty small and lightweight, but powerful package. The only worry I have is this little creaking inside the grip, which can sometimes occur. Hope it doesn't break or so after a few months of usage. That would be bad. But the rest of the camera is so good, it completely overshadows this "kind-of-flaw". So for me, it's definitely acceptable as long as it doesn't fall apart :D

(And thanks to Al Chemist for your tips regarding this issue.)

Upvote 0
Very neat tip. I'm going to try it. Thank you for sharing.

I have never owned any canon bodies before that would require a DIY intervention like this. A little disappointed that the m5 costs so much more than m3 yet is not better built. Worse in fact.

Al Chemist said:
I replaced the post-it note paper with a piece of overhead transparency plastic (from my old teaching days). Looks better when you open the compartment (not that that is important) and works the same. You can hear a creak if you press in enough spots but for the most part, when I pick up the camera it isn't noticeable at all. Oh, and the camera still works, whew!

I suspect that most M5's will develop this creak to some extent after time...mine took about 30 days.

Thanks for promoting me to Wizard slclick!

Upvote 0
Crosswind said:
There's only one negative point about this camera; it is made out of very very cheap plastic and I don't know if that's gonna be a problem in the long run. Even when I carefully grab it, sometimes the grip part "creaks and cracks" a bit (even with smaller lenses on it - like my 24mm 2.8 IS USM you can see in the picture).

I have this creaking sound every time I pick up my 5D mark IV. It's from the door to the memory card compartment. It doesn't affect the pictures :) but anyway, it's very annoying as it's a very expensive camera.

Upvote 0
I've used two M5 bodies for about a month (for review) and didn't hear the battery grip creak issue, though I do agree that the battery compartment door seems a bit flimsy.

By the way, I've now launched my review of the EF-M 18-150mm lens:

Text Review: http://bit.ly/EFM18_150STM
Video Review: http://bit.ly/18_150STM
Image Gallery: http://bit.ly/2gYDCDx

It seems to optically keep up with the 18-55 and 55-200 lenses without much issue, so I see little reason to go for the two lens kit over it. It is definitely a better lens optically than any of the 18-135 variants I've used or reviewed.

Upvote 0
Aug 28, 2012
TWI by Dustin Abbott said:
Hi everyone. I recently did a trip to Arizona where I packed only two EOS M5 bodies along with a handful of lenses, including the 18-150 STM, 22mm STM, 55-200 STM, Rokinon 12mm f/2, and EF 50mm f/1.8 STM + adapter (pretty much the kinds of lenses most people will use with the system). I got a lot of great pictures, used the cameras in a lot of different environments, and came back with some conclusions.

Text Review: http://bit.ly/EOSM5Review
Video Field Review: http://bit.ly/M5FieldReview
Overview and Specs Examination: http://bit.ly/EOSM5DLA
Travel Article and Image Gallery: http://bit.ly/picAZDLA

My review of the 18-150 STM will be coming in about a week. It's in the edit process now.
Thanks for the review Dustin. I always find your reviews very readable/watchable.
On the premium price point though (an issue other reviewers have also highlighted), if you look at the pricing of Fuji, for example, especially their just announced X100F with its comparably sized sensor and fixed lense, the M5 looks pretty darn competitive price wise. The X100F pricing here in Aus is expected to be around A$1,750. The M5 with the 22/2 which would be the fairest comparison to the X100F, will sell for around the same mark, possibly a bit cheaper. While the Fuji has some nice features (hybrid VF, leaf shutter, Fuji colours, pocketable size), it's hard not to think the Canon is better value overall as a compact interchangeable lense camera with tilt/touch screen, better autofocussing and the ability to adapt the fantastic range of EF lenses.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
I've used two M5 bodies for about a month (for review) and didn't hear the battery grip creak issue, though I do agree that the battery compartment door seems a bit flimsy.

It seems to optically keep up with the 18-55 and 55-200 lenses without much issue, so I see little reason to go for the two lens kit over it. It is definitely a better lens optically than any of the 18-135 variants I've used or reviewed.

Now that some time has passed, I was wondering if you could do me a favor and list the EF glass you would recommend to use with the M5 and the adapter. Many folks say don't bother with the EF-S 24 as the EF-M 22 is available and native but the 24 is a great deal less expensive and a fine lens on it's own.

Initially I was thinking the 40 would be fantastic but after reading your experience with it I was wondering what other EF/EF-S lenses most of us have under 200mm might be a good fit, AF and IQ wise. Thanks

Upvote 0
slclick said:

Now that some time has passed, I was wondering if you could do me a favor and list the EF glass you would recommend to use with the M5 and the adapter. Many folks say don't bother with the EF-S 24 as the EF-M 22 is available and native but the 24 is a great deal less expensive and a fine lens on it's own.

Initially I was thinking the 40 would be fantastic but after reading your experience with it I was wondering what other EF/EF-S lenses most of us have under 200mm might be a good fit, AF and IQ wise. Thanks

The 85mm f/1.8 is quite a nice fit, as is the 35mm f/2. I'll throw the Tamron 45 VC on there, but it's on the larger size of what I consider a reasonable balance. I'm actually ditching the 40mm f/2.8 STM for a Voigtländer 40mm f/2 since the Canon doesn't seem to like DPAF (on any of my DPAF cameras). The Voigtlander is MF only, but is a superior lens that will last forever.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
slclick said:

The 85mm f/1.8 is quite a nice fit, as is the 35mm f/2. I'll throw the Tamron 45 VC on there, but it's on the larger size of what I consider a reasonable balance. I'm actually ditching the 40mm f/2.8 STM for a Voigtländer 40mm f/2 since the Canon doesn't seem to like DPAF (on any of my DPAF cameras). The Voigtlander is MF only, but is a superior lens that will last forever.
Thanks

Upvote 0
KeithBreazeal said:
I find the M5 is really fun to use. One thing I have noticed is that both the 5D IV and the M5 nail the color balance.
This was one of my test shots and the colors are very accurate despite the light source being a 3200K incandescent bulb.

Canon M5 test photo © Keith Breazeal by Keith Breazeal, on Flickr

True, and another thing modern Canons do very well (compared to older gen models) is Auto ISO. If I am shooting events with changing lighting, I will sometimes switch to Auto ISO even though I'm manually setting my shutter speed and aperture, and I get pretty reliable results (though obviously sometimes you need to switch to spot metering if you are dealing with spotlights).

Upvote 0