Canon EOS R vs 5D Mark IV - Pros & Cons

Adobe LR has a camera profile which is uses when a RAW file is imported. So it's possible that the Eos R's profile is beta...or there's a
WB centering error in it. The WB sliders in LR are a fraction of what the Program can provide. I have an Infra red modified camera and I had to create a custom camera profile to access the WB range I needed to swap the channels (or at least neutralise them).
In terms of RAW default sharpening, again, the Lightroom camera profile will automatically assign a preset amount of sharpening based on the camera model. So until Adobe releases the right camera profile...it's hard to make any real world comparisons with Lightroom.

Viggo

EOS 5DS R
Dec 13, 2010
I’m also getting very weird WB readings in Lr with the EOS R, using flash WB at 5600 is reported as 7000 in Lr... it’s really annoying...

I’m also getting very weird WB readings in Lr with the EOS R, using flash WB at 5600 is reported as 7000 in Lr... it’s really annoying...
That because the Camera profile in LR is set for a different camera. You might need to make a custom profile or wait until Adobe releases it's own new camera profile. Under the Light Room hood....LR has a far bigger wb range than the interface allows us to use. The camera profile limits this range to a usable range. Otherwise a 1/100th change would make a massive change in wb and not offer the gentle or subtle control that we are used to.

Viggo

EOS 5DS R
Dec 13, 2010
That because the Camera profile in LR is set for a different camera. You might need to make a custom profile or wait until Adobe releases it's own new camera profile. Under the Light Room hood....LR has a far bigger wb range than the interface allows us to use. The camera profile limits this range to a usable range. Otherwise a 1/100th change would make a massive change in wb and not offer the gentle or subtle control that we are used to.
I’ve never had this issue with any other camera before, and I use custom ColorChecker profiles, not any of the standard ones...

I posted a more detailed impression over on the Eos R first impressions thread.
I basically think that the 5D4 is far more suited to my current photography. I hated the EOS 5 body, It's UI and lack of direct buttons made it feel like a posh Digicam. I like the EVF...very nice. Great sensor, but the Eye focus, face focus and general AF ability is pretty poor at f1.2/ f1.4...but fine at f4. The UI felt like a different brand to me and due to the adapter...most of my EF lenses felt huge in comparison. So, I'll stick with the 5D series DSLR's as my main cameras and maybe pick up an ESO 5 in a year or so as a play thing once the price has settled down. It's currently way over priced for what it is and as a camera it's not a mature product. It's got a lot of promise and some really nice advantages....but currently it's a no from me.