canon is not for poor film makers anymore! 47,000$??!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 18, 2010
Well, keep in mind that those lenses, all of them, are on the inexpensive side of the spectrum. Less then a third of the price of our current cine lenses of similar FL/aperture.
As for being on a budget - the camera is overrated, if I have the choice between a well executed shot in SD and HD footage that only shows every flaw, shortcut or compromise the clearer the choice is obvious.

Upvote 0
B

Bob Howland

Arjay said:
Once you’ve blown your budget on the EOS C300, there is nothing stopping you from mounting the EF 50mm f 1.8 on it... ;)
Seriously, the entire EF lens lineup could be utilized, special effects such as with the EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM
or the F 800mm f/5.6L IS USM extend the possibilities...

Except that you'll have to focus it manually. Quite honestly, the Canon XF100/105/300/305 camcorders are looking better and better, unless you need to make movies in very little light or want to have minimum DOF.

Maybe I should have kept all the manual focus FD lenses I sold in 1997.

Upvote 0
ssrdd said:
canon is not for poor film makers anymore!

GASP! You're SO right! All of their current lineup has had it's movie function removed via an OTA update and our DSLR's no longer record movies! AHHH!! What will we all do?!?! On top of that, CR is reporting that all future DSLR's will be stripped of this feature as well. Finally, it's been reported that the sun will not rise tomorrow either!

Seriously man, this camera and the lenses aren't for the budget filmmaker. And the fantastic capabilities of today's DSLR's is no less fantastic than it's always been. And the future DSLR's should inherit some sort of tech from the new Cinema line as well to improve their systems. If anything, the introduction of the Cinema line is a bonus for DSLR's! Chill with the doom and gloom.

Upvote 0
May 12, 2011
Sure it's out of most everyone's price range, but it wasn't meant for the masses. Canon released this first to come out strong introducing the whole EOS Cinema line and make an impression on Hollywood and get some cred with the bigwigs.

Next logical move would be to release a more prosumer level (but capable) Cinema DSLR, which they are in the process of doing. They know how hungry we are for a reasonably priced, really awesome camera, and I'm sure they'll deliver. Business is business, and I think they made the right move.

Upvote 0
Of course, the word "synergy" comes to mind - Canon already has made it seem as if the push for the EOS Cinema system is having effects that will come to regular DSLRs as well. Remember, if they hadn't cared about HD video at all, we'd just be shooting stills and nothing else - beyond maybe VGA clips (which have been standard in many cameras for a long time).

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
ssrdd said:
CN-E14.5-60mm T2.6 L S (EF mount) lens for 45,000 to 47,000$ each?
what did happened to you, canon?, I waited for an year to see better cam than 5d, in an affordable range!
but finally what we have is FULL HD cam for estimated 20,000$ price range!!

I laugh at myself for being poor.

This type of equipment is rented, not purchased. If you are seriously making motion pictures, you may find they cost less than other similar lenses. If you want to take home movies of your kids, this is not the kind of equipment to consider.

Upvote 0
C300 full HD
8MP
6MB
24x14mm lens coverage
60 fps in 720p
MPEG-2 compressor
8bit depth
20,000$

RED Scarlet 4K
14MP
100 plus MB
27x14mm lens coverage
60 fps in HD RAW
24bit depth
15,000$[kit Includes..64GB SSD,5'' touch LCD,etc]

Love my canon film cam, i almost traveled with it for every good and sad moments in my life, now since last 2 years same with the 5dmk2, plus its giving me an oppertunity to earn my living. how wonderful is that.
For an independent film makers like us india, its hard for us to get good deal from rentals companies, for that reason i want to have my own cam, which can shoot a minimum quality range video for big projections, which i can not do with current dslr. i waited for an year to see this changes which i can not afford it my self. may be a i have to think about other possibilities of moving on with new brand. may be....

Upvote 0
B

Bob Howland

AG said:
Bob Howland said:
Except that you'll have to focus it manually.

If you are having to use auto focus as a film maker your doing it wrong ;D

I'm so new at this that I'm sure I'm doing it wrong, but how about when shooting a documentary, a wedding or sports where the subjects move rapidly and unpredictably? Not everybody has the time to pull out their tape measure and consult their DOF charts. For that matter, why do cameras like the 1Dx have autofocusing?

Upvote 0
G

Gothmoth

main problem is 80% of all photographers have no clue about cine lenses and cameras.

neither technology wise or what cinematographer need/want.

If you are having to use auto focus as a film maker your doing it wrong

exactly.. and when you wonder why then this camera is not for you anyway. ;)

http://lenses.zeiss.com/photo/en_DE/other/products/what_makes_the_difference/manual_focusing_with_af_camera_systems.html

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.