Canon PowerShot G7 X Mark II Available for Preorder

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
The recently announced Canon PowerShot G7 X Mark II is now available for preorder via B&H Photo. This should be a popular compact for Canon.</p>
<ul class="top-section-list" data-selenium="highlightList">
<li class="top-section-list-item">20.1MP 1″ CMOS Sensor</li>
<li class="top-section-list-item">DIGIC 7 Image Processor</li>
<li class="top-section-list-item">4.2x Optical Zoom f/1.8-2.8 Lens</li>
<li class="top-section-list-item">24-100mm (35mm Equivalent)</li>
<li class="top-section-list-item">3.0″ 1.04m-Dot Tilting LCD Touchscreen</li>
<li class="top-section-list-item">Full HD 1080p Video Recording at 60 fps</li>
<li class="top-section-list-item">Built-In Wi-Fi with NFC</li>
<li class="top-section-list-item">Expanded ISO 25600, Up to 8 fps Shooting</li>
<li class="top-section-list-item">Intelligent IS Image Stabilization</li>
<li class="top-section-list-item">Manual Control Ring, Time Lapse Movie</li>
</ul>
<p><strong>Preorder:<a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1223211-REG/canon_1066c001_powershot_g7_x_mark.html/bi/2466/kbid/3296" target="_blank"> Canon PowerShot G7 X Mark II $699</a></strong></p>
<span id="pty_trigger"></span>

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Ryanide16 said:
Says Expected Availability June 3, 2016. I thought this was shipping this week!! :mad:

That's a bummer. I've been using a Sony RX100 III as our point & shoot while travelling and I don't think I'll ever get used to how Sony lays out cameras and menus. I'll likely replace it with the G7 X II.

Upvote 0

Ryanide16

1DX Mark II
Feb 24, 2016
Los Angeles, CA
Canon Rumors said:
Ryanide16 said:
Says Expected Availability June 3, 2016. I thought this was shipping this week!! :mad:

That's a bummer. I've been using a Sony RX100 III as our point & shoot while travelling and I don't think I'll ever get used to how Sony lays out cameras and menus. I'll likely replace it with the G7 X II.

I sold my Sony RX-100III in anticipation of the G7xII. Like you said its a good camera, but I didn't like the Sony interface or controls. I think the Canon will operate much more like a traditional DSLR. Can't wait.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I am using my wife's G7x sometimes while traveling. It is a wonderful camera. And even the low light photographs are quite usable. If the ISOs are enhanced (version 1 range is as up to 12800 if I remember correctly) then surely the lower ISO 1600-3200 might be a bit better.

The camera is highly recommendable for traveling in the southern hemisphere as you can leave it in your pocket, where my 6D would be too large.

Feeling tempted to buy my own copy of it...

Upvote 0
Aug 11, 2010
verysimplejason said:
sanj said:
Is this a 'pocket' camera?
Almost the same size as rx100.

it's fine in almost any jacket pocket. definitely not pants pockets (I'm a 6'1" guy and wear loose jeans, you still cannot put the G7 into the front pockets, mainly because of the lens protrusion). but very easily portable nonetheless. jacket, vest, purse, little side pockets on a backpack, using a Joby strap on the wrist - very easily used in all of those situations. My wife ditched her T2i for the G7 and has enjoyed it a lot.

Upvote 0
Aug 11, 2010
shawnc said:
If you don't need to crank your neck back to see the display through the close focus part of bifocals (good luck shooting above the horizon) this looks like a nice camera. Me and my old eyes will stick with the RX100 IV.

Just FYI, I think that's one of the things that got fixed with the Mark II. screen tilts up and down now.

Upvote 0
Unfortunatelly it's NOT a pocketable camera just because of one more important thing - weak lens cover.
The one on my G7 X is not closing/opening properly after just a few times in the pocket of my jacket. Now I have to wear it with the leather hard case and it's not compact at all!

I'm not the only one complaining about such issue - http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/55423958

Upvote 0
pedro said:
I am using my wife's G7x sometimes while traveling. It is a wonderful camera. And even the low light photographs are quite usable. If the ISOs are enhanced (version 1 range is as up to 12800 if I remember correctly) then surely the lower ISO 1600-3200 might be a bit better.

The camera is highly recommendable for traveling in the southern hemisphere as you can leave it in your pocket, where my 6D would be too large.

Feeling tempted to buy my own copy of it...
As I tried it for about 10-15min, the "onscreen" images look great and sharp at ISO3200. In my oppinion it looks like the ISO1600 from G7X MK I. The new screen looks better and it tilts down as well (like the G3X and EOS M3) and much better feel. I also like the "release" button for the ring; clicking or not clicking - for smooth manual focusing and video.

Cory said:
Just saw my first G9X and really liked the looks of it. Anyone on this vs. the G9X?
Thanks.
For the price difference, go for the G7X2. It has better optics, the screen is tilting, the ring has 2 options...

Upvote 0