depth of field preview button position

Here's something thats always troubled me...

Ever since my Old minolta sr-t's I've really appreciated the benefits of having a dop preview button, my first eos lacked it (1000fn) but my 2nd EOS had it (my 5, or A2e) albeit enabled via custom function on the ae lock button, or via ECF (I loved...)

On my 3 it's on the grip side, I know from the number of 1d's I sold over the years that they kept that layout, yet my interim cameras, the 300x, the 10d, the 20d, the 400d, the 7d, the 550d, the 600d have all had the dop button on the lens release button side, but my 60d has switched back to the grip side...

I find the mount side marginally easier, I've always found the grip side very cumbersome, even with the 3's very pronounced button, most of my cameras are gripped except the M's . Is there a specific logic to why canon place it where they do on certain cameras?

EDIT. I should point out, I actually really liked the use of the AE lock button CF on the 5/A2e best... would ML let me reconfigure anything?

Jan 29, 2011
I have only ever had cameras with it on the grip side, I find it well placed for my left hand under the lens and use my left middle finger to push it. With long lenses I can equally easily use my right ring finger to push the DOF preview button without losing any other right hand control. So my vote is very firmly for the grip side.

Upvote 0
That makes a whole lot of sense! Thank you.

I was trying to hit it with my right/grip fingers, which was just awfully cumbersome.

I am generally tripod or monopod based, so my right hands usually on shutter my left on ftm over-ride or zoom.
Mount release side seems to work better for me, but I can see why grip side would work for others.

That said, a CF to place it on the Ae lock button or af-on button would not go amiss, as I really really liked that on the 5.

Upvote 0
I like mount release side too, especially on a tripod. And now (5DIII) the button is more similar in shape to the lens release, I have nearly released my lens by mistake a couple of times.

ML will let you lock the DOF preview, so one press and it is locked and another press and it unlocks. This IMO is great, especially on a tripod when you at at x10 trying to figure out the best combination of focus point and aperture.

I don't think it will let you use a different button for DOF preview.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
The DOF button was moved to the left side of the body on the 5D MK II and, for me, was a big issue, it fell right under my fingers and locked the shutter when it was unknowingly pressed. This generated huge numbers of complaints that the shutter was locking.

On the 5D MK III, it was moved to the right side, and has not caused me any problems. My Nikon D800 had three buttons on the right side that hit the ends of my fingers when holding the camera. I could not seem to hold the camera in my big hand without hitting at least one of them, so I deactivated them.

Upvote 0

Marsu42

Canon Pride.
Feb 7, 2012
Berlin
der-tierfotograf.de
Tinky said:
I find the mount side marginally easier, I've always found the grip side very cumbersome, even with the 3's very pronounced button, most of my cameras are gripped except the M's . Is there a specific logic to why canon place it where they do on certain cameras?

Absolutely - esp. if you look at the braindead button position on the 6d which is even worse than 60d.

Without too much going into conspiracy theories, imho his is "broken by design" as it's much easier to reach on more expensive cameras like 5d which is actually usable like pdb described above.

I imagine he Canon marketing division had a field day when they figured out the worst position for the button while nominally retaining the feature. I can hear them laughing right now :->

Upvote 0