EDIT. I really like OLY OMD cameras as well as my Canon gear.

AlanF

Canon 5DSR II
Aug 16, 2012
Just tried out an Oly M1 mk ii for a few days. first couple of days was not happy. Then started to figure out settings and was pleased with results in particular bif. am Thinking of adding one to my kit. Since i primarily shoot birds the light weight is great. Hiking with my 7D ii and 100-400ii gets heavy Yes low light performance was poor for OMD. I just wish Canon would decided what the plan is.....getting tired of waiting for 7Dii replacement (Not 90D). One of the reasons I have started looking at other manufacturers.
I've been through thinking about lightweight travel gear loads of times, and always end up sticking with my DSLR and 100-400mm II because they beat everything else for a combination of weight and quality. A problem with the Oly is the choice of telephoto lenses. The 300/4 is excellent, but it is still heavy and I like a zoom. The long m4/3 zoom is the Pana-Leica 100-400mm, and it is not in the top class.

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
I've been through thinking about lightweight travel gear loads of times, and always end up sticking with my DSLR and 100-400mm II because they beat everything else for a combination of weight and quality. A problem with the Oly is the choice of telephoto lenses. The 300/4 is excellent, but it is still heavy and I like a zoom. The long m4/3 zoom is the Pana-Leica 100-400mm, and it is not in the top class.
Yes.... there are few options with Oly to go long....

Cryhavoc

Eos R, EM1 Mk1, EM1 MkII, EM5 MkII
Jan 17, 2019
Seattle
Not a troll. Just not afraid to be seen with a girly girl camera kit :)

Yes I have an R, the battery grip, the kit 24-105 R lens, and the adapter to which i use it with a sigma 100-400, a sigma art 35 and art 20mm.

Love the camera and it feels great holding it.

I just dont love hauling around full size gear all day every day. Tis why I sold off the 80d and the 1d mkv and gave away the T2i.

Bought into Olympus via the used market and have expanded my Oly inventory primarily for use during the day and its overal native light weight. I have no plans to adapt eos mount lenses to it. The 17mm 1.8, the 45 1.2 pro and the 12-40mm pro lenses I have are suitable to my tourist needs. Everything except the EM1 mkII were purchased well over 50% off retail via the used case at the local camera shop.

Our trip to the big island will bring many days of long walks and some hiking. I plan to pack lighter than I did for our Kauai trip in July.

When we take the observatory tours at dusk and dawn, the Eos R with the Sigma Arts will be used.

When we are walking around during daytime, the Oly gear will be used.

Different tools for different needs.

Tomorrow I am heading to the camera shop to have a look at possibly purchasing the M6 MK II kit with evf before that bundle deal is no more.

Canon is and will always be my favorite brand, but i do keep a very open mind to what the other guys offer.

Last edited:
Reactions: SteveC

old-pr-pix

EOS RP
Dec 26, 2011
Yes.... there are few options with Oly to go long....
Agreed. Waiting for Oly to finally release their own 'big white' the pending 150-400 f4.5 w/integral 1.25 TC.

Only other options are some of the previous generation 4/3 lenses adapted to m4/3. Excellent glass, but unlikely they would be up to BIF focusing duty.

AlanF

Canon 5DSR II
Aug 16, 2012
Agreed. Waiting for Oly to finally release their own 'big white' the pending 150-400 f4.5 w/integral 1.25 TC.

Only other options are some of the previous generation 4/3 lenses adapted to m4/3. Excellent glass, but unlikely they would be up to BIF focusing duty.
It's a particularly huge and heavy lens, which defeats the goal of being small and light, if that's your aim. It's likely to be cheaper and much lighter to buy a Canon APS-C + 100-400mm. But, if you are sold on Olympus, that's your choice.

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada

I have some of the old 4/3 lenses.... they do not AF anywhere near as fast as the micro 4/3 lenses..... but the quality of the glass is top notch!

old-pr-pix

EOS RP
Dec 26, 2011
It's a particularly huge and heavy lens, which defeats the goal of being small and light, if that's your aim. It's likely to be cheaper and much lighter to buy a Canon APS-C + 100-400mm. But, if you are sold on Olympus, that's your choice.
Not sold, just curious at this point. I already have an 80D and 100-400 L (mark 1). In my unscientific testing my Pany G9 + Oly 300mm seems 'sharper' than my 80D/100-400M1 combo. However, based on your comments in other threads I'm tempted to upgrade to 90D and 100-400 L MII. We should know soon, but you could be right 90D+100/400II may be less expensive than Oly 150-400. Of course, the Oly @ 400mm w/integral 1.25 TC is equal to FF 1000mm - likely longer than I would ever want need.

Reactions: AlanF