EF 70-300 f/4-5.6L IS Preorders

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 21, 2010
docsmith said:
So if you have a very small DOF (macro) slight linear (front to back) motion can move you in and out of your DOF. But if you have a 1 ft DOF, slight linear motion will not impact your image quality as you are still in your DOF. But side to side/angular motion will affect your image quality. On target or do you mean something else by linear?

Something else - by linear I mean side-to-side or up-and-down, i.e. movements in the same plane as the sensor. Those have much more impact at close distances. Front-to-back movements (linear, but perpendicular to the sensor) also have a similarly large impact at macro distances, but IS systems do not compensate for those. That sort of compensation would require movement of the focusing group(s) within the lens. In fact, the new Macro AI Servo mode on the 7D and 1DIV attempts to compensate for those front-to-back movements.

Upvote 0
M

mjlworld

Re: EF 70-300 f/4-5.6L IS Preorders - A week later..

:) Nearly a week with the new lens and enjoying every moment. It is well balanced with my 7D, quiet and fast accurate focus. An ideal lens for travelling with as it means I dont have to lug around the 300mm f2.8 for thos distant shots. Now UK price is down but VAT up in Jan 2011! Posting shots again later this week.

Upvote 0

mrjimmy

5DMK3 7D 50D 70-200L 17-40L 85 1.8 50 1.4
Nov 21, 2010
Las Vegas,NV
Canon is losing it, Their prices are out of control on the new lens their coming out now days. 1600 dollars for a 70-300 f/4-5.6L where’s the value in that. And no tripod mount! Ok add in another 200 dollars. Who’s going to buy that, The pro shooter NO!. Mom and Dad to shoot their little Boy or Girl at the ball game or on stage at the grand opening for some school play NO!. People taking that first trip to Hawaii NO!. The wedding photographer NO! Maybe all the portrait studios NO!. How about the everyday type street shooter, The all around shooter. Well for them it’s heavy to carry all day. Ok so that leaves us the wildlife shooters Yes!. But only the ones that have given up on or won’t save for the better lens of 400 to 500mm. When all is said and done this lens is 1800 dollars with no tax or shipping. You better know what your doing to spend that kind of money and people that know what there doing wont buy this lens. Its to slow and has almost no bokeh. Unless your shooting up close flowers at 300mm and no one that loves to shoot flowers at a foot away is going to but this lens. Is there a place for this lens in today’s market YES! But not at this price. The 70-300 f/4-5.6 IS USM is 508.00 on Amazon as of today. Canon needs and should have up graded this lens and sale it for 799.00 to 899.00 at 4-5.6 it’s a lens for people that just want a littler better color and sharpness and bokeh on the football gridiron. For now anyone that can spend that 2000 dollars is of course going to buy the 70-200 f/2.8L IS USM I or II. As they should. If you have to have 300mm for that one shot add a 1.4 Extender. Get out and have fun.

Upvote 0
I

IllegalFun

Well I just looked at the price of this lens online here in the UK... £1329
convert that to dollars.... $2000
price form B&H in US.... $1599
convert to UK.... £1025

so in the UK it costs £304 more.... or $400 more :mad:

so there must be something seriously wrong somewhere....
either canon is getting more profit, or there is tax involved somewhere... :mad:

I think I will get a 100-400L IS for £1069 and save £260. ::)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.