Not open for further replies.

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
HTML:
<div name="googleone_share_1" style="position:relative;z-index:5;float: right; /*margin: 70px 0 0 0;*/ top:70px; right:120px; width:0;"><g:plusone size="tall" count="1" href="http://www.canonrumors.com/2012/09/first-canon-eos-c100-short-hits-the-web/"></g:plusone></div><div class="tweetmeme_button" style="float: right; margin:0 0 70px 70px;"><a class="tm_button" rel="&style=normal&b=2" href="http://www.canonrumors.com/2012/09/first-canon-eos-c100-short-hits-the-web/"></a></div>
<strong>From Planet5D

</strong><a href="http://blog.planet5d.com/2012/09/hot-first-canon-eos-c100-short-hits-the-web-just-c-it/" target="_blank">Mitch from Planet5D</a> has informed us of the first short from the upcoming Canon EOS C100.</p>
<p>The Canon EOS C100 is almost “affordable”, and we should see lots of content from it. I’ll be buying one for my rental business, and hopefully I’ll learn something about shooting video. :)</p>
<p><iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/49083326" width="500" height="281" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe></p>
<p><strong>Film Information (By Sebastien DEVAUD)

</strong><em>“Earlier this year, i was contacted by Canon Inc to create a new exclusive film for the worldwide launch of the new EOS Cinema camera : The EOS C100</em></p>
<p><em>Given the difficult task awaiting me, I decided to call upon and challenge the C’brothers to highlight and validate the strenghts of this new technology…</em></p>
<p><em>Join the new C generation !</em></p>
<p><em>Just C it ! was shot with three C100 bodies and 12 EF lenses. AVCHD compress recorded on SD Card”</em></p>
<p><strong><a href="http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/889545-REG/Canon_EOS_C100_EF_Cinema.html/bi/2466/kbid/3296" target="_blank">Canon EOS C100 at B&H Photo (Available November 2012)</a></strong></p>
<p><strong>Source: [<a href="http://blog.planet5d.com/2012/09/hot-first-canon-eos-c100-short-hits-the-web-just-c-it/" target="_blank">P5D</a>]</strong></p>
<p><strong><span style="color: #ff0000;">c</span>r</strong></p>

I

impulsekitty

Little rough around the edges, wish it was full 1080P, but looks very versatile, looks like the camera for us, and if I need slow mo I just will reach for our Dslr or turn the 60i to 60p in post =) The heavy grading shows that it can hold up pretty good to grading as well, hope they release the full 1080p of this video. Here is the BTS http://web.canon.jp/imaging/eosd/samples/cinemaeos/c100/

Upvote 0
Oct 18, 2011
EvillEmperor said:
Seems cool, but what exactly can't his do that a DSLR can't? Andiryou could afford that, you probably could afford the 1DC, which does 4K
Well, pretty much everything audio-wise, as it is a video camera, not a DSLR. Not to mention built in ND, and dynamic range. Those shots on the beach would be blown out on most DSLR's, though some can be recovered in grading.

And the 1DC is double the price of this...so, it's like saying "if you can afford a 5dIII, you might as well get a 1DX". Plus, when you actually get into the logistics of using 4k, well, you'll see how insane it gets. Hope you have lots and lots of TB of storage

Upvote 0
I really wanted to like this video, but you have to have some story in mind first, not just a random sequence of clips with shallow DOF and people screaming "whoo-hoo" in different locations. What happened to story telling? Video has become all about showcasing steadicams, underwater casings, and suction cups. Yes, footage looks great, but I lost brain cells watching this (Maybe Neuro can help me get them back? :))

They should just give all these promo projects to Vincent Laforet. Or at least the guy who shot Rebecca Black's "Friday" :)

Upvote 0
E

ekstasis16

sb said:
I really wanted to like this video, but you have to have some story in mind first, not just a random sequence of clips with shallow DOF and people screaming "whoo-hoo" in different locations. What happened to story telling? Video has become all about showcasing steadicams, underwater casings, and suction cups. Yes, footage looks great, but I lost brain cells watching this (Maybe Neuro can help me get them back? :))

They should just give all these promo projects to Vincent Laforet. Or at least the guy who shot Rebecca Black's "Friday" :)

It's intended to be a product demo, not a creative masterpiece.

Upvote 0
May 12, 2011
EvillEmperor said:
Seems cool, but what exactly can't his do that a DSLR can't? Andiryou could afford that, you probably could afford the 1DC, which does 4K

Uh for starters it has a sensor that was designed with video in mind and camcorder features. Shooting with a DSLR vs shooting with this, it's like taking a Corvette to a Formula 1 race, sure the Corvette will make it down the track and it's a fast car, but you'd do a lot better with an actual formula car.

And the 1DC costs nearly twice as much as this, that's a ridiculous statement. By that logic I can probably afford a 1DX since I have a 5D3, but I can't.

Upvote 0
May 12, 2011
ekstasis16 said:

Why can't it be both? "Reverie" was technically the first "product demo" for the 5D2 and it was much more creative than this, as was the C300's "product demo." This is like world premiere footage, the first we've ever seen from this camera and there is a lot of amateur stuff in there. The audio mix is terrible for starters and out of sync in a lot of places, and the digital stabilization is evident in several shots and looks pretty bad. I would have opted to just leave those shots out, it looks terribly unprofessional. I still think it was a good display of IQ capabilities in a variety of environments, but overall it was mediocre at best.

Upvote 0
sb said:

Completely agree. I came to the forum to gripe about shallow DOF and the people screaming "woo-hoo." You did it for me. Thanks! I think we've all seen enough meandering camera demos like this by now. It's all tool and no story. It's like showing off some new cookware by throwing everything in the fridge at them. I'm not sure if that's the best analogy, but it's a fun visual.

Upvote 0
T

tjc320

ekstasis16 said:

It's still a pretty bad video. If Canon is a company that is concerned with branding (which it is) and it cares about it's image (which it does) they shouldn't give a bunch of cameras and money to a bunch of guys that just want to blow it on doing fun stuff rather than making a good promotional. I think the biggest problem with it was the editor. Also, the video showcased a TON of shooting styles and shots that sort of define amateur filmmaking. Extreme closeups of the eyes, tons of shots that have no depth of field or are going in and out of focus, horrible over grading, tilt shift craze shots. It all seemed very amateur, like they just carried the camera around with them and shot whatever they thought looked cool.

Since when do product demos have to sacrifice creativity?

Upvote 0
sb said:

I agree. It was not only boring, but focus was off so often in places where it should have been spot-on that it makes me think that this camera is very hard to focus. Many of the cuts seemed like they were chosen in an attempt to avoid unusable footage before and after the chosen 1 second of footage.

I'm sure the camera can be very good, but this video is not great.

Upvote 0
I

impulsekitty

Funny not sure people know what they want anymore, BMCC comes out they have issues with it, the C300 comes out issues with it, C100 comes out they have issues with it so on so forth. I don't think anybody will ever release a camera that one will love. I for one love the versatility of the C100, sure not the best video around but does show me the versatility over the BMCC, but then again these two are completely different beasts. I love what both offer. Filmmaking has become democratized by so many options to choose from I am happy that I have so many choices than ever before and everything else can be fixed via firmware upgrade ;D

Upvote 0

bp

Jun 1, 2011
I would have been super impressed with this video, but frankly it needed more eyeball close-up shots. Just a few more, and I would have been satisfied. MORE EYEBALL CLOSE-UPS. MORE!!! EYEBALL. Close-ups.

(I'd be curious to know if this footage was shot 4-2-0 internal, or 4-2-2 to an external recorder - picture quality looks rather good, despite the crap video)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.