Is the Canon EOS C500 Mark II finally coming in 2019? [CR1]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
We’ve been told that Canon will finally announce a successor to the Cinema EOS C500 cinema camera. A camera that never really had a market, and is one of the few sales failures of the Cinema EOS lineup.
We’ve been told that the Cinema EOS C500 Mark II was shown to a very select group of dealers at NAB 2019 back in April, with a potential launch coming sometime in 2019.
We have reported that a new Cinema EOS camera was coming this year, but signs had pointed to a Cinema EOS C300 Mark III being the camera we’d see. There is a chance we see both.
Additionally, the source says that the C500 Mark II will be a “completely different take” as far as Cinema EOS cameras go. We’re not sure what that means, but it could be exciting.
More to come…

Continue reading...

Last edited:

bgoyette

CR Pro
Feb 6, 2015
Not sure they've sold a single C700 FF. Never seen one outside of NAB or CineGear. And I'm not sure characterizing the C500 as a failure is correct either. It was actually a pretty popular B-cam and was used on several features because of it's low light ability. And there were a lot of mid level producers who bought it for the RAW output. It never sold close to the original C300, but then I don't think it was intended to. Frankly, that chunk of the market is a weird one...not high enough, not low enough. The truth is the C300/c500/c200 all share a lot in terms of form factor and sensors, so they can slap whatever number on it they want...(name or $). The market will tell them if they picked the right one.

Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2013
Pune
Not sure they've sold a single C700 FF. Never seen one outside of NAB or CineGear. And I'm not sure characterizing the C500 as a failure is correct either. It was actually a pretty popular B-cam and was used on several features because of it's low light ability. And there were a lot of mid level producers who bought it for the RAW output. It never sold close to the original C300, but then I don't think it was intended to. Frankly, that chunk of the market is a weird one...not high enough, not low enough. The truth is the C300/c500/c200 all share a lot in terms of form factor and sensors, so they can slap whatever number on it they want...(name or $). The market will tell them if they picked the right one.
Even I am curious to know how well do those higher end C models stack in sales numbers. Though lower end C(100 & 200 series) are quite widely used and I have seen many youtubers and even motoGP using those cameras on regular basis.

Upvote 0
Even I am curious to know how well do those higher end C models stack in sales numbers. Though lower end C(100 & 200 series) are quite widely used and I have seen many youtubers and even motoGP using those cameras on regular basis.

Canon has abandoned the entry level cinema market. Their C100 is dead, and video in their DSLR and mirrorless are far behind the competition.
The C300 seems to be their biggest seller among independents, but it's not really entry level. The C200 isn't really great for entry level unless you want to use cheap RAW video, and work like a dog for it.
I wish they'd put out something to compete with the Sony FS5 and A7s lines, but I doubt they will.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
The C500 Mark II would have to be 8K, just as the Mark I was the first 4K cinema camera from Canon. I also dream of an follow up to the 1D C, maybe something based on the EOS R Pro model.

Canon has abandoned the entry level cinema market. Their C100 is dead, and video in their DSLR and mirrorless are far behind the competition.
The C300 seems to be their biggest seller among independents, but it's not really entry level. The C200 isn't really great for entry level unless you want to use cheap RAW video, and work like a dog for it.
I wish they'd put out something to compete with the Sony FS5 and A7s lines, but I doubt they will.

This is _Canon_rumors...the Sony equivalent is somewhere else.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Ummmm.........

Isn‘t the entry level video camera a phone? and then various levels from GoPros to low end DSLRs, to high end “stills” cameras, and then up to the high end video cams?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

---

I've seen a few Canon C700 FF and C700 GS (Global Shutter) cameras in the warehouse, so at least ONE company bought some!
I've also seen at least FOUR of the Canon 1Dc cameras since I used those last week!
I think Canon is doing OK for now in Cinema! .... In the future? Not so much. Not with what's coming out soon enough!

Upvote 0
The C500 Mark II would have to be 8K, just as the Mark I was the first 4K cinema camera from Canon. I also dream of an follow up to the 1D C, maybe something based on the EOS R Pro model.

This is _Canon_rumors...the Sony equivalent is somewhere else.

Woah .... feeling a little insecure, I see

Upvote 0
STOLEN
STOLEN-WHATS UR TAKE
I don't think making a C500MKII would be a great idea - there are enough Canon EOS cameras on the market (C200 and C300MKII being the most popular, although some still use the C100MKII and there are a few C700 around), not to mention the fact that the C300MKII was already an improvement over both the C300 and the 500 - I did shoot at least 4 gigs with the latter (in 2K 444) and I can assure you that the MKII is a better camera. The C500 was a bit of a failure as a camera system, since it needed an external recorder but Canon took for granted that everyone and their brothers were going to make one - alas, it was not the case and, in fact, for a long time the only viable option was the Aja KiPro Quad, which is what I used on my shoots and, pardon my French, it was a pain in the ass. Only when Convergent Design made the Odyssey 7Q+ compatible with it, the camera truly began to shine, but it was already on its way to obsolescence. The C300MKII was its true successor on almost every aspect (RAW recording is still kind of a mess, but, then again, the camera's manufacturers didn't offer a solution of their own and just waited for someone to do it for them).A Canon retailer that I know was actually disappointed when the C300MKII was first introduced because the manufacturer apparently didn't stress out enough the fact it was a brand new camera instead of an updated C300: to me it was very apparent, but I took the time to read the specs. A lot of people, including many professionals, didn't know and they ignored it for a while. To put it short, the only camera Canon really needs to put out is a C300MKIII capable of internal 4K RAW recording - just like the C200, but with the option to use better codecs than MP4 for non-RAW acquisition. Clog2 needs some tweaking as well.

Upvote 0

The only thing with the A7S line is that the color isn't great in mixed lighting. One of the guys I shoot with still carries an EOS R with his A7III for that very reason.

I'm actually buying a replacement for my 5D Mark III/GH5 combo tomorrow and am stuck between full frame video with IBIS on the Z6/A7 III or great color and AF on the R.

Upvote 0