Kickstarter: Peak Design Unveils The Next Generation of Camera Tripods

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Peak Design has launched their 9th Kickstarter campaign and it looks like it’s going to be another rousing success. This time, Peak Design is launching its travel tripod. Designed to be both compact and sturdy as well as easy to use.
This is one of the rare campaigns on Kickstarter that I have pledged, this one looks too good to pass up.
We don’t promote a lot of Kickstarter campaigns, as too many go unfulfilled, but you don’t have to worry about Peak Design delivering on a product.
Check out the Peak Design Travel Tripod

Press Release:
New Travel Tripod Promises to Redefine Product Category for Years to Come
San Francisco, CA (May, 2019) – After multiple award-winning bag releases, Peak Design, the worldwide leader in crowdfunding and everyday carry solutions, is proud to disrupt yet another product category—the camera tripod.
More than four years in the making, Peak Design’s newest release, Travel Tripod, is a ground-up...

Continue reading...

Last edited:
Looks like a great travel design. Do wish there was a SLIGHTLY larger version that would be more beneficial for video users with a compact fluid head. The Benro Travel Angel (Aero) is still the most useable compact I've tried.

At the prices and December 2019 target, I'll probably wait for commercial availability before considering. Maybe wait for first gen kinks to be worked out. Do have a need for a useable compact tripod, but adding the universal plate and a fluid head with pan arm would make this much more bulky than it needs to be.

Upvote 0
trying to mentally justify the price increase of the CF version
Agreed. It would be great to have the lightest option available, but $190 for only .63lbs less is a hard sell. That said, I just found myself digging through my pantry to find something of that weight (2 cans of tuna did the trick) and it's more than expected -- would be nice not to have to lug around on a hike. Packing it in a suit case would be irrelevant though in my opinion.

Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
What has this to do with Canon rumors?

Looks like someone is promoting someone...

A few things
  1. Last I checked, Canon didn't make tripods, so we have to buy other peoples tripods. This is relevant content.
  2. Of course I'm promoting something as an affiliate that I think people would find value in. This site is free for you to use, but it's not free for me to run.
  3. I rarely post Kickstarter stuff unless I know the product will be delivered, which this one will be.
  4. I pledged for the carbon fibre version out of my own pocket, with no favours from Peak Design.

Reactions: 15 users
Upvote 0

FramerMCB

Canon 40D & 7D
CR Pro
Sep 9, 2014
A few things
  1. Last I checked, Canon didn't make tripods, so we have to buy other peoples tripods. This is relevant content.
  2. Of course I'm promoting something as an affiliate that I think people would find value in. This site is free for you to use, but it's not free for me to run.
  3. I rarely post Kickstarter stuff unless I know the product will be delivered, which this one will be.
  4. I pledged for the carbon fibre version out of my own pocket, with no favours from Peak Design.
By-the-by - I really appreciate this site! Excellent value and excellent offerings: as far as valuable information as well as a place to share thoughts back-and-forth. As well as the occasional picture...

Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com

Looks like someone is promoting someone...

I shocked...shocked that commerce is going on here.

At times I may disagree with Canon Rumors Guy's predictions and opinions, but not with his right to run his site and earn a profit. He's actually very tolerant of posts (mine included) that cite competing sites.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

LDS

Sep 14, 2012

I come here regularly because there are other photo-related news that aren't Canon only and striclty - i.e. the new "medium" format Fuji. It would be quite boring if there were endless discussion about what people would like to see in the next 7D.

About promoting - I get everything with a pinch of salt - and here it's still quite better than elsewhere.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I am happy with my Peak Design carry system, and my current knockoff brand tripod only comes with me on car trips because it is bulky and heavy. It also has a tilt/pan head that works well for video, so I have that for when I need it. This hits several useful points for me, so I am in on the Aluminum version.

Upvote 0