Leica Unveils the Leica Q Today, Bringing Iconic Leica Features to an Innovative New Camera

I can confirm that the 50mm jpeg is 8MP. The original raw is 28mm RAW at 24MP.

11427227_10154845231458647_1539768974997983503_n.jpg

11141306_10154845231028647_7324767423377003472_n.jpg

Upvote 0
dolina said:

11427227_10154845231458647_1539768974997983503_n.jpg

11141306_10154845231028647_7324767423377003472_n.jpg

WOW you got it already? tbh I don't understand the concept of changing the focal length, do they correct distortion in software/hardware? because even if you crop its not true 50mm, the bokeh is not the same as well.

Upvote 0
meywd said:
WOW you got it already? tbh I don't understand the concept of changing the focal length, do they correct distortion in software/hardware? because even if you crop its not true 50mm, the bokeh is not the same as well.
Leica did this to simulate framelines inside the EVF.

I dont want to further anger Rocky but that's how Leica wants to do it.

Again, this camera is very much targeted at Millennials (35yo and younger) who are buying their first Leica.

This is why it also has so much features to complement our iPhones and Android smartphones.

$4,500 is a great sum for what is essentially a point and shoot.

But consider the price of 24MP M Typ 240 $6,380 and 28mm f/1.4 Summilux $5,950 that are not autofocus or autoaperture.

Makes the Q 1/3rd cheaper than an M + Lens.

Fine, you cant change lenses but have you seen the focal length range of RF? It is miniscule vs SLRs.

Upvote 0
dolina said:
meywd said:
Leica did this to simulate framelines inside the EVF.

I dont want to further anger Rocky but that's how Leica wants to do it.

Again, this camera is very much targeted at Millennials (35yo and younger) who are buying their first Leica.

This is why it also has so much features to complement our iPhones and Android smartphones.

$4,500 is a great sum for what is essentially a point and shoot.

But consider the price of 24MP M Typ 240 $6,380 and 28mm f/1.4 Summilux $5,950 that are not autofocus or autoaperture.

Makes the Q 1/3rd cheaper than an M + Lens.

Fine, you cant change lenses but have you seen the focal length range of RF? It is miniscule vs SLRs.

I don't think I will ever be a customer of Leica, because if I had the budget I would get a 1D X and a super telephoto, plus I don't understand why people buy RF cameras, with an EVF you get what you see, with an OVF at least you get the framing right, but with a RF you get nothing, and as you said not much focal range, however lets hypothetically say that I am, I would get the M, because first its 24MP all the way, second I can change lenses, third....well I am only buying because I like RF for a reason....and this camera is not a RF, is it?

Upvote 0
meywd said:
I don't think I will ever be a customer of Leica, because if I had the budget I would get a 1D X and a super telephoto, plus I don't understand why people buy RF cameras, with an EVF you get what you see, with an OVF at least you get the framing right, but with a RF you get nothing, and as you said not much focal range, however lets hypothetically say that I am, I would get the M, because first its 24MP all the way, second I can change lenses, third....well I am only buying because I like RF for a reason....and this camera is not a RF, is it?
Something similar to this?

970541_10151568532178647_1521770518_n.jpg

It's essentially a point and shoot with a full frame sensor and an AF system that may exceed a 1DS3 or 1D4. Only other alternative is the Sony RX1 from 2012.

You buy it because it's a Leica in the same way you buy a Porsche because it is a Porsche. You can get the same sort of performance from a Subaru STI and mod it to exceed it but you're buying the storied history.

The brand.

Not to mention it is light and what have you.

Because at the end of the day a 1D X weighs over 3 pounds while the Q is less than half that.

The Q has a tight integration with your smartphone.

Again, this is an aspirational camera for photogs. But then again you buy on your usage.

Upvote 0
dolina said:
meywd said:
Something similar to this?

970541_10151568532178647_1521770518_n.jpg

It's essentially a point and shoot with a full frame sensor and an AF system that may exceed a 1DS3 or 1D4. Only other alternative is the Sony RX1 from 2012.

You buy it because it's a Leica in the same way you buy a Porsche because it is a Porsche. You can get the same sort of performance from a Subaru STI and mod it to exceed it but you're buying the storied history.

The brand.

Not to mention it is light and what have you.

Because at the end of the day a 1D X weighs over 3 pounds while the Q is less than half that.

yeah ;D, in a combat zone that will make you an instant target, well I understand the brand thing, however the AF and the FPS are not that useful, since without a telephoto you won't need it, and you are in the wide focal length range, but yeah every product has its customers.

Upvote 0
meywd said:
yeah ;D, in a combat zone that will make you an instant target, well I understand the brand thing, however the AF and the FPS are not that useful, since without a telephoto you won't need it, and you are in the wide focal length range, but yeah every product has its customers.
It also has a red dot! :)

Again, targeted at Milenials. I am surprised it does not have 4K resolution video or a UHS-II memory card.

Upvote 0
Jul 30, 2010
Rocky said:
dolina said:
Read the press release. :eek:
Rocky said:
Do you want the camera to throw away more than half of the pixels from the sensor???
????
Dolina,

Why are you saying that I am mad. You need to be more careful with what you are saying. Also I mentioned about throwing away more than 1/2 of pixels from the sensor and cropping to 50mm, you does not seem to agree at that time now you are saying the same thing. Just think and be careful what you are doing.

Upvote 0
Rocky said:
Rocky said:
dolina said:
Rocky said:
Do you want the camera to throw away more than half of the pixels from the sensor???
????
Dolina,

Why are you saying that I am mad. You need to be more careful with what you are saying. Also I mentioned about throwing away more than 1/2 of pixels from the sensor and cropping to 50mm, you does not seem to agree at that time now you are saying the same thing. Just think and be careful what you are doing.

now it seem you are really mad ;), at first he was just pointing you to the press release because he was simply explaining why they included the feature, then when he confirmed that the image will have less resolution at the extended focal length modes he mentioned it to us, but in the end, dolina didn't make the camera, Leica did, so when you ask "Do you want the camera to throw away more than half of the pixels from the sensor???" its not for him to answer, ask Leica. :)

Upvote 0
meywd said:
Rocky said:
Dolina,

now it seem you are really mad ;), at first he was just pointing you to the press release because he was simply explaining why they included the feature, then when he confirmed that the image will have less resolution at the extended focal length modes he mentioned it to us, but in the end, dolina didn't make the camera, Leica did, so when you ask "Do you want the camera to throw away more than half of the pixels from the sensor???" its not for him to answer, ask Leica. :)

I do not own Leica nor Canon. Pls dont get mad!

Upvote 0
Jul 30, 2010
meywd said:
Rocky said:
dolina said:
Rocky said:
????
That got nothing to do with the pixel count as 28mm or 50mm
I guess he meant this
Integrated 3.68-megapixel electronic viewfinder. The highest resolution viewfinder of its kind displays both the fixed 28 mm view along with focal lengths of 35 mm and 50 mm on demand.

Upvote 0

Kiton

Too deep in Canon to list! :o
Jun 13, 2015
Last Friday I had the chance to shoot about 300 test images over 40 minutes in the street with the Leica Q thanks to Camtecphoto in Montreal.

I was surprised by how nice this camera really is. I can not shoot with a Sony A7, the viewfinder makes me sea sick after a very short period of time, a huge disappointment because the camera seems to be a really good choice.

The viewfinder in the Leica Q did not have the same effect on me as the A7. It does a slight choppy effect when panning as all of this type of viewfinder have.

The autofucus is quick and accurate.
The controls are placed very well and easy to use. I still have and use a Pano GX1 as a pocket camera and the controls on the GX1 are really poorly placed by comparison. I only shot at 400 asa and 1600 asa and the files are beautiful. I shot some street scenes at 1.7 in daylight to see the forgiveness and it held up well. The ability to go from auto aperture to manually selected aperture is solid and really well designed.

The camera is almost silent. It makes my 5d mk 3 on "silent mode" sound very noisy. It is well balanced and fits in the hand very naturally. You are holding a Leica and you know it, not some scaled down econo-version.

The only "con" is the camera is a touch slow to boot up from a sleep. I could see myself touch the shutter to wake the camera if I though a street pix was about to present itself, with the 5d, I only soft touch the shutter as I begin to lift the camera and it is ready by the time it is at my eye.

Locally, It runs about 1k more than an A7 with a 28mm f2, so it is well priced for the target market, it seems to be a hell of good camera.

Upvote 0
Jul 30, 2010
neuroanatomist said:
Rocky said:
After the picture has been taken, You can crop the pictures anyway you want. Why should you care about the 35 and 50mm frame while you are taking the picture.

Nikon Leica Pure Photography. Get it right in-camera, or go home.

:p
The picture is taken with 28mm lens. If you want the 35mm or 50mm view, you have to crop it later or let it to be crop by the camera and throw away the rest of the pixel.

Upvote 0
Dylan777 said:
dolina said:

I'll save my $6-8K for future MF sensor Fuji x100 body style. Either 28mm or 35mm f2 is fine with me 8)
Leica's just $4,500. ;D

I cannot imagine spending so much money on a Fuji.

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2011
dolina said:
Dylan777 said:
dolina said:

I'll save my $6-8K for future MF sensor Fuji x100 body style. Either 28mm or 35mm f2 is fine with me 8)
Leica's just $4,500. ;D

I cannot imagine spending so much money on a Fuji.

Even better: http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=26712.msg527274#msg527274 ;D

I got broke in not too long ago. They took the RX1, the wife favorite camera. Waiting for RX1 II, hope they make even smaller. Will buy one for the wife. She been using my a7s + fe 55mm lately :mad:

Upvote 0
Jul 30, 2010
dolina said:
Dylan777 said:
I got broke in not too long ago. They took the RX1, the wife favorite camera. Waiting for RX1 II, hope they make even smaller. Will buy one for the wife. She been using my a7s + fe 55mm lately :mad:

So glad the Q's made in Germany and not in Japan.
My refrigerator is made in U.S.A. with a lot of components made in somewhere else.

Upvote 0