Lexar CF cards FAIL - Sandisk?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never had an issue with Lexar Pro CF cards. The only failures I've had with with two Sandisk that were purchased at the same time from same retail store. So I'm kinda writing that off as a bad batch. I was able to retrieve images off each. They started throwing out error warnings on the camera and I knew to shut them down. But since I tend to trust Lexar a little more than the Sandisk.

Upvote 0

CanonOregon

Having fun with what I have to shoot with now.
Sep 12, 2012
Oregon
Agreed with a couple of posts- be SURE to buy your cards from reputable dealers first off. Second, format cards before first use and before reusing and every once in a while twice. And finally, most pros will only use their cards a maximum of two years. Generally new technology is coming out by then but that's slowed lately too. And with CF cards you do have to be careful to not bend pins. Never just throw one in a pocket without a case as lint can fill those holes and bend a pin.
Static discharge can create problems too. With so many variables it's hard to narrow down what really caused the problem. Pressure on the case can break contacts within the card as well, making it unreadable. There really isn't a reason any one name brand should have a higher failure rate as many of the components are by just one or two suppliers. So, good luck and hopefully your issues are behind you!

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
EricFiskCGD said:
AcutancePhotography said:
This also why huge cards may not always be a good idea. Many photographers choose to use multiple smaller cards. If you put all your photographic eggs in one CF/SD basket, when (not if) you have a problem with the card, you have lost a lot more data. Using smaller cards reduces the chances of losing all your photographs. Sure it is a little more hassle having to switch out cards..... but at least you are not switching film out after 24/36 shots. ;D

My free and worthless opinion: The more important the photoshoot, the more smaller cards I use. It is all about playing the odds.

I'll echo what's been said before - They don't make'em the way they used to. I would rather cover my bases with two 16GB SD than a 32GB SD card. I'm just a cautious fellow sometimes.
I will echo too...

2 The reduction in cycles can be dealt with an increase in capacity. Only then the reuse count will be smaller (just like ssd disks)

Upvote 0

Rienzphotoz

Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
Aug 22, 2012
CanonOregon said:
Agreed with a couple of posts- be SURE to buy your cards from reputable dealers first off. Second, format cards before first use and before reusing and every once in a while twice. And finally, most pros will only use their cards a maximum of two years. Generally new technology is coming out by then but that's slowed lately too. And with CF cards you do have to be careful to not bend pins. Never just throw one in a pocket without a case as lint can fill those holes and bend a pin.
Static discharge can create problems too. With so many variables it's hard to narrow down what really caused the problem. Pressure on the case can break contacts within the card as well, making it unreadable. There really isn't a reason any one name brand should have a higher failure rate as many of the components are by just one or two suppliers. So, good luck and hopefully your issues are behind you!
+1

Upvote 0

EricFiskCGD

How many lenses are enough? One More!
Mar 8, 2014
Southen NH
tron said:
... The reduction in cycles can be dealt with an increase in capacity. Only then the reuse count will be smaller (just like ssd disks)
And I'll "+ 1"

I'm talking to a photographer friend about this thread and she swears by this rule of thumb - if she's paid to do a small job she buys TWO 16 Gig SD cards. If it's a big job then she buys four 16 GB SD cards... and when she's done with the job she archives the sticks because you never know when a customer will ask for a specific picture at a specific time...

... granted, I guess she has a ton of SD cards that are locked away in a safe somewhere that she'll never reuse but she covers her bases at least two different ways at the same time.

Upvote 0

infared

Kodak Brownie!
Jul 19, 2011
Hey...I had a Lexar Pro 1000X 32GB CF card fail on me last month. It was a couple of years old, had moderate use...of course it failed when I go up before sunrise to shoot a ship with magic sky before sun comes up...LOL! Never had a card failure before..I would shoot 9-10 photos with my 5DIII and then I would get an error message (dont recall what it was...I was almost awake! LOL)..so I turned the camera off..turned it back on...took a look at the images on the card..(they were there)...and finally I switched over to the SD card (what a luxury!!!) after the light was NOT as good ...LOL....
When I got home I could not upload from the card and I ran recovery software (Lexar or Sandisk can't recall of the top of my head which), that I had run in the past and it recovered images off of a card that I had formatted in the camera twice!...but no luck here...the card was dead.
I did contact Lexar...had to get thru a screening process and was able to send the card into them and get it fixed or replaced...I am not sure which. It has been working fine since then...
Oh...I am pretty careful and methodical too. I always turn the camera off before removing the card, always eject the disk on my computer, etc...so I think it was definitely faulty manufacturing with the card.

Upvote 0
chris haylett said:
I just had a Lexar 32GB 1000x card fail and Lexar support told me that if I wasn't using a UDMA7 card reader that eventually all my UDMA7 cards would fail. I had been using an older firewire800/non-UDMA7 card reader and have now switched to the latest card reader from Lexar. Never heard of that before but that is directly from Lexar.

From an electronics, engineering and otherwise common sense viewpoint, what they told you is total hogwash.

I'm an IT guy by trade, I've been immersed in various electronics for 30 years and I have never heard anything so ridiculous. If you can find this odd fact confirmed somewhere, fine, I'll eat my words but in general, a reader is just that, a reader. The SD specifications for compatibility state how the device, chipset and firmware are supposed to work and SD cards & readers are backward compatible. If they weren't, there would be some physical notch preventing insertion.

http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2520/~/sd%2Fsdhc%2Fsdxc-specifications-and-compatibility

The only thing that is going to cause compatibility problems has to do with the upper level file system format (FAT32, exFAT, etc) not how the device is accessed by the reader itself.

The only difference between the different specifications is transfer rate. Period.

Upvote 0
Efka76 said:
It could be the case that you have fake Lexar cards and that's why they are failing. Lexar, Sandisk, Transcend are all really well known firms and I have never heard that their production is failing (massively, as in your case).

Had a Sandisk disk-on-key fail out of the box. Couldn't copy anything larger than ~100KB to it.

Had an Intel processor fail straight from the shop, failing to install three different versions of MS-Windows from five different CDs.

This is a well known phenomena, which is why it is good practice to test memory cards before using them for anything of importance.

Upvote 0
RustyTheGeek said:
chris haylett said:
I just had a Lexar 32GB 1000x card fail and Lexar support told me that if I wasn't using a UDMA7 card reader that eventually all my UDMA7 cards would fail. I had been using an older firewire800/non-UDMA7 card reader and have now switched to the latest card reader from Lexar. Never heard of that before but that is directly from Lexar.

From an electronics, engineering and otherwise common sense viewpoint, what they told you is total hogwash.

I'm an IT guy by trade, I've been immersed in various electronics for 30 years and I have never heard anything so ridiculous. If you can find this odd fact confirmed somewhere, fine, I'll eat my words but in general, a reader is just that, a reader. The SD specifications for compatibility state how the device, chipset and firmware are supposed to work and SD cards & readers are backward compatible. If they weren't, there would be some physical notch preventing insertion.

http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2520/~/sd%2Fsdhc%2Fsdxc-specifications-and-compatibility

The only thing that is going to cause compatibility problems has to do with the upper level file system format (FAT32, exFAT, etc) not how the device is accessed by the reader itself.

The only difference between the different specifications is transfer rate. Period.

He is talking about a CF card not a SD card. Everything you said is true for SD cards. However, CF cards have a Hard Drive controller on board. So it is very much like reading a new HD on an old controller that does not support all the features. It could very well cause the card to fail over time. Not all CF cards are equal. In the lab at work we had a number of Sandisk CF fail do slight incompatibilities. They would work for a while then just die and no amount of formatting would fix them. Mind you we were using them in Embedded Computers as HD. There was nothing wrong with they cards they were just incompatible.

So what Lexar told said is likely correct.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Auscrox said:
I often read comments like; “used CF cards for more than 10 years and never had a failure”. Unfortunately if you have a closer look at the technology for memory today, you would quickly come to the conclusion that the older technology was more reliable than it is today, and why is that so?

The frequency of card failures is increasing and the reason is that Consumer Grade Memory is no longer as robust as you would hope or expect.

Manufacturers of consumer grade memory have been on a quest to increase capacity, reduce cost and increase speed. One thing they have done is shrink the geometries, from 40nm down to 19nm, and next is 15nm (changes about every 18months). So by example a CF card today, using MLC NAND Flash only has a write endurance spec of < 3,000 writes. When it goes to 15nm, endurance write will be down to 2,000. Now if you purchased a cheap card, very likely it is TLC Flash and only has < 1,000 writes.

With smaller geometries there are many downsides which requires modifying of firmware and circuitry. The manufacturers are not open about the endurance write spec on their products. However they comfort you with an offer of Lifetime Warranties, and for a product that has a Limited Life. Small comfort when you lose 100s of photos on shoot, who cares about the replacement card – where are my valuable images! NAND Flash has a limited number of writes and ultimately will fail with extended use.

Only advice I can give is look at Industrial Grade Products which use SLC NAND Flash. These products have Endurance Write Specs >2 million. They cost more, but extremely reliable, slower performance, but not an issue for the majority of serious photographers.
+1
I needed some larger capacity CF cards for one of the spectrum analyzers at work.... they bought me consumer grade ones.... they were all dead in a couple of months. (approx. 2000 write/erase cycles)

Upvote 0

surapon

80% BY HEART, 15% BY LENSES AND ONLY 5% BY CAMERA
Aug 2, 2013
APEX, NORTH CAROLINA, USA.
Dear Friends.
Sorry, I am not computer expert, Just regular Architect in my profession. Past 15 years since 1999, I use CF of all Brand name companies --Shoot more than 10,000 Photos per year, and Never CF. fail me.
BUT, Big but---One of my dear Electrical engineer friend ( 12 years ago ) told me that---Brand new CF from the box---Do not put in Camera yet, USE COMPUTER FORMAT THEM first= To get rid of all informations in CF.--After that Use my CAMERA format that CF, 2-3 more time before I use .
Yes, My friend told me that = Set up the CF ( set) for each camera that I use , Yes, I have 4 DSLR cameras---DO NOT USE THAT CF. in difference Camera.

Yes, It work for me---AND I DO NOT KNOW WHY?---With out fail. might be have logic ( MAGIC ) behind this methods
Good Luck.
, Have a great Sunday.
Surapon

Upvote 0
"Premium"- cards like Sandisk or Lexar seem to be a little bit more reliable then cheaper ones like Transcend.
Although: I had issues with a Transcend 16gb 600x, a Sandisk 16gb 30mb/s and a Sony 16gb 94/s SD.

The first both were only getting noticable slower; the Sony didn't work- in the Sony RX 100.

Check the card with h2tw, for example. A real bad one should be identified.

Oh- I have Lexar CF and SD- everythings fine.

Upvote 0
hi guys, I bought 2 64 gig professional lexar cards. After shooting them full on a 2 day wedding. The cards totally failed. utter and completely. they "offered" to fix it. but it didnt work. they claimed it was unrecoverable. it was a lie since i'm having someone else recover it for a cool $2500, but at least it can be done.

i will NEVER EVER EVER use lexar again.

Upvote 0
lindatranphotography said:
hi guys, I bought 2 64 gig professional lexar cards. After shooting them full on a 2 day wedding. The cards totally failed. utter and completely. they "offered" to fix it. but it didnt work. they claimed it was unrecoverable. it was a lie since i'm having someone else recover it for a cool $2500, but at least it can be done.

Linda, you have my sympathies -- it must be very stressful to worry about the loss of an entire wedding. You should keep in mind that others have had great success with Lexar, as well as other brands. I have a few thoughts that might help avoid the problem in the future.

If both cards failed, and if you bought them at the same time from the same vendor, they may have been counterfeit. The quality assurance on "pro" cards would make it unlikely that two would fail similarly. It's also possible that there's something else wrong, e.g. a problem with your camera. Also, you may want to be sure you turn off your camera and wait a few seconds before removing the card. Check your the camera manual for the safest technique. Last, I always suggest to my friends that they test new flash cards thoroughly before using them. I typically use 7 or more passes of DBAN, but there are probably other flash card testing programs out there.

Upvote 0

RGF

How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
Jul 13, 2012
lindatranphotography said:

Sorry to hear about the failure and Lexars unwillingness to recover your images. I imagine you did not make any money on the wedding (and may a lots a good bit). At least your reputation is saved.

One think I like to do, is complete read/write to each card when I get them. I am running a Mac Pro and have SoftRaid software. This software has a certify option that writes and then reads the entire disk/card. Not sure if there is similar software (certification) for the PC.

Upvote 0
I've bought a lexar card a while ago and it corrupted some of the images on me. I'll never use lexar again after that. But I've been using Sandisk for years now and have not had a single failure. I think the biggest problem with Sandisk is that there are so many fakes on ebay and I'll bet that's where most of the issues have been coming from. The fakes are also getting much harder to detect.

Upvote 0
i've seen this topic come up before and I share your sentiments.

in all the years of digital shooting the ONLY cards i've had fail are lexar. I know at least 5 other pro's who had same experience and when I asked a pro dealer in Ireland was I just unlucky, he said he won't sell Lexar to pro-users because of their unreliability

touch wood, Sandisk have never let me down

in the early days I even used some brand x 256mb cards which still work 10+yrs later..!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.