Making your expensive gear look like crap while traveling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get one of them blackrapid r straps. The camera hangs low and discreetly out of sight, even under a jacket yet is easily accessible. Also it doesn't have a Canon logo on it. And as a bonus is saves your neck. If you see dodgy looking people just slide the camera under your coat and walk on by.

Tape is stupid. Would you tape your watch? Your car? Your wallet? No. Exactly.

Upvote 0
Zv said:

So most of the press photographers are stupid ? Do ya really think they tape just to act like all the other ones...?
There are some good reasons to tape. And when you go in some real dangerous place because you have to be there, the more you can have a discreet and plain black camera, the more placid you feel. Not all the photographers carry a tiny Leica and have to use their big daily DSLR in every situations. Not all the photographers shoot only pictures of flower in their backyard.

Upvote 0
RomainF said:
Zv said:

So most of the press photographers are stupid ? Do ya really think they tape just to act like all the other ones...?

I thought Press photogs often taped so that in situations where lots of photographers are at an event the bright white logos and branding dont catch the flash and create distracting elements within each others photos...?

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Having worked with quite a few press photographers I'd depute the "most" label for a start.

Second, some cameras port covers are not a secure as others and do get lost, tape can help in those situations.

Mostly, the press (any) photographers that tape are doing it as a fashion statement, that is fine by me, you can do anything you want to your gear, but when I see it I think, there is an impressionable and naive wannabe, because experience has shown me that is normally the case.

Upvote 0
I live in a shit-hole of a city, I still carry my 7d and 70-200 f4, I still carry my 5Diii and 70-200 f2.8....

None of them are taped.....I just use common sense of where/when I go somewhere....I don't avoid places, but if there is a choice between a dark alley or a lit street I choose the safer option...

Where I live, the people who are going to snatch or steal, don't care what you have it's just opportunistic, once they have it they will then decide if it has value...

Commonsense will do more for you, than a roll of gaffers tape...

Upvote 0
Jura said:
RomainF said:
Zv said:

I thought Press photogs often taped so that in situations where lots of photographers are at an event the bright white logos and branding dont catch the flash and create distracting elements within each others photos...?

That's actually the main purpose ;) .
That's a matter of courtesy and civility vis-a-vis other photographers.

Commonsense will do more for you, than a roll of gaffers tape...
Definitely.

Upvote 0

vscd

5DC
Jan 12, 2013
Germany
You can do whatever you want, there will always be a theft somewhere! ;)

polar-bear-stealing-a-camera-600x384.jpg

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
RomainF said:
Jura said:
RomainF said:

That's actually the main purpose ;) .

What a load of crap. When press photographers were using silver coloured cameras it wasn't the done thing and they are much more reflective than today's black cameras with a touch of white paint!

Look, as far as I can recollect, taping was started by war photographers where a shiny reflective surface could, literally, get you killed. Snipers loved to aim just below a shiny spot because it used to be where cap badges were.

Press photographers do not need to tape their cameras for fear of getting shot (or reflections), their primary reason for doing it is looks, just like faded jackets and jeans are worth more to some people than new ones. It is just a "hey look at me I have been around the block so I am cool" pretentious nonsense.

Upvote 0
all good advice and ideas and suggestions. But mostly useless in my opinion. If you are going to a dangerous place, have insurance, and be prepared to lose your stuff.
But like some others have mentioned, if it's big and has a shiny screen on the back be prepared to let it go. Some places I have been to, they will take your p&s.
In my experience, carry your camera in an old beat up backpack, bring one lens, batteries and cards. A pack with easy in and out access is ideal. Frame the shot in your mind, consider all settings, pull out the camera, set it up, take the shot, stuff the camera in the bag and walk away.
I have had to run from thugs until I found cops. They turned away as soon as I got next to the cops. Closest call I've had.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.