Marketing Fail? Forced to wear Sony vests at FIFA WC but shoot with Canon Gear

Rienzphotoz

Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
Aug 22, 2012
As posted at http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/marketing-fail-worldcup-photographer-wear-sony-4k-vest-but-do-shoot-with-canon/

Sony is one of the big sponsor at the Football World Cup in Brazil. Even though photographers are “forced” to wear Sony 4K advertising vests, as you can see from the 360 degree pics posted at Visualise.com, not a single one of them shoot with a Sony. It’s all about Canon (and few Nikon). Let’s hope Sony will make a real Alpha Full Frame Sports camera that will convince some of them to switch over to Sony!

:

Attachments

• Sony vests Canon Gear 1.png
    Sony vests Canon Gear 1.png
    341.8 KB · Views: 1,106
  • Sony vests Canon Gear 2.png
    Sony vests Canon Gear 2.png
    345 KB · Views: 1,041
No big conspiracy. The event needed vests to provide quick identification so that the right people can get into the right areas. Since Sony is a sponsor and probably agreed to supply the vests for free (not uncommon), it is not surprising that they are wearing vests with Sony on it. Paid advertisement. 8)

Just like back in the late 90's when Canon was a major sponsor, everyone was "forced" to wear Canon adverts.

It is all about advertisement and who pays for the vests/shirts.

I support several NPO events and I am "forced" to wear all sorts of advertisement but have never been even asked what camera system I am using or not using. \

Beats paying my own money for a shirt/vest. ;D

Upvote 0

surapon

80% BY HEART, 15% BY LENSES AND ONLY 5% BY CAMERA
Aug 2, 2013
APEX, NORTH CAROLINA, USA.

Attachments

• WC-6.jpg
    WC-6.jpg
    211.7 KB · Views: 809
Upvote 0