More EOS 7D Mark II Talk [CR1]

Lee Jay

EOS 7D Mark II
Sep 22, 2011
KarstenReis said:
Lee Jay said:
KyleSTL said:
If true, the 7D Mark II's viewfinder will be the exact same size as the 5D Mark III:

5D3 - 1.00 / 1.00 x 0.71 = 0.71
7D2 - 1.00 / 1.60 x 1.15 = 0.71

Crop sensor fans would be elated.

Without other changes, that would make it 2.56x dimmer (or, 39% as bright, if you prefer).

I don't know anything about viewfinders. Could you elaborate on why it would become dimmer?

The sensor in the 5D is 2.56x bigger, which means so is the mirror and thus the portion of the lens' image circle you are viewing. At the same f-stop (f-stop controls "brightness" or "light intensity" [technically illuminance]), more area means more light. Likewise, less area means less light. If you spread that reduced light over the same area of your vision (subtended solid angle), it's going to be dimmer.

Upvote 0
lopicma said:
I find it hard to believe that everyone there is a professional. No hobbyist shooters, schmucks with iPhones, Canon SX50's? Who was the guy that took the shot at the last Olympics of all the photographers pointed toward the sports action? We need a shot from "THAT GUY"!

Just Say'in..

Yes, you are right. Also with the 1000's of people in those stands I am sure there a few of "us" that are interested in the 7d2. Personally if I were there I would make an attempt to get as close as I could to the photogs to see what I could see.

Upvote 0
Lee Jay said:
KarstenReis said:
Lee Jay said:
KyleSTL said:
If true, the 7D Mark II's viewfinder will be the exact same size as the 5D Mark III:

5D3 - 1.00 / 1.00 x 0.71 = 0.71
7D2 - 1.00 / 1.60 x 1.15 = 0.71

Crop sensor fans would be elated.

Without other changes, that would make it 2.56x dimmer (or, 39% as bright, if you prefer).

I don't know anything about viewfinders. Could you elaborate on why it would become dimmer?

The sensor in the 5D is 2.56x bigger, which means so is the mirror and thus the portion of the lens' image circle you are viewing. At the same f-stop (f-stop controls "brightness" or "light intensity" [technically illuminance]), more area means more light. Likewise, less area means less light. If you spread that reduced light over the same area of your vision (subtended solid angle), it's going to be dimmer.

Thanks for the explanation! I forgot about how the difference in sensor size makes in how bright the viewfinder appears.

Upvote 0
Lee Jay said:
meson1 said:
Canon Rumors said:
We’re told the top plate has a noticeably bigger bump around the viewfinder than the current EOS 7D.
A hybrid viewfinder perhaps? Or maybe the return of eye controlled autofocus?

I was thinking the same.

I was wondering is the bump was related to the rumored wifi and GPS...

Upvote 0
What are those funny 1 series looking bodies at the world cup where instead of regular black prism hump on top, the front part is like shiny white/yellow, almost like some sort of mini-flash integrated into the hump? (Or more likely some guy, for some reason, just using reflective, bright tape on the front of each of the humps on his two bodies ;D BUT why would someone do that, normally they try to take out bright, not add bright and reflective, if anything, so might it actually be some new body??? I wouldn't have thought a 7D2 in a full on 1 series integrated grip body though, one of the pair of guys who were using the pair of weird shiny hump 1 series was also shooting something small that looked like a 7D, maybe the new one is 1DX2 or 2D with integrated mini flash in hump? OR, most likely just some guys taping their names in shiny fluorescent yellow tape on the top ;D, just couldn't get a clear look from the video feeds).
Have screencaps but don't think it's worth bothering to upload and post.

Upvote 0
meson1 said:
Canon Rumors said:
We’re told the top plate has a noticeably bigger bump around the viewfinder than the current EOS 7D.

I throw this out mainly as target practice for those who seem to gleefully shoot down the idea at every opportunity, but could the larger viewfinder housing be for the larger prism necessary for an APS-H sensor? Of course, this would make the camera a "Successor to the 7D market space" rather than, strictly speaking, a "7D Mark II."

The 1D IV stays stubbornly expensive on the used market, which suggests there are a lot of people like me who appreciate the balance of increased reach from telephotos against a near full-frame view angle and depth of field. I've considered buying a 1D IV on a few occasions, but have always shied away from paying more for fewer megapixels and no wi-fi built-in.

Upvote 0
LetTheRightLensIn said:
What are those funny 1 series looking bodies at the world cup where instead of regular black prism hump on top, the front part is like shiny white/yellow, almost like some sort of mini-flash integrated into the hump? (Or more likely some guy, for some reason, just using reflective, bright tape on the front of each of the humps on his two bodies ;D BUT why would someone do that, normally they try to take out bright, not add bright and reflective, if anything, so might it actually be some new body??? I wouldn't have thought a 7D2 in a full on 1 series integrated grip body though, one of the pair of guys who were using the pair of weird shiny hump 1 series was also shooting something small that looked like a 7D, maybe the new one is 1DX2 or 2D with integrated mini flash in hump? OR, most likely just some guys taping their names in shiny fluorescent yellow tape on the top ;D, just couldn't get a clear look from the video feeds).

That's tape ;) I figured for hire/ID related purposes, maybe?... but YES! There are photographers with non-gripped bodies with larger viewfinders and markings where the 5D3's 'Mark III' badge resides - and I do recall struggling to see a mode dial. These were being shot by people also wielding 1Dx looking bodies - would Sports Pros shoot something as slow as the 5D3? These bodies were equipped with much shorter lenses...

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
GMCPhotographics said:
An announcment...and an offically leaked spy shot can't be far around the corner.
And when it does....this place will go into melt down. I might avoid it for a few days until the fever calms down.
*lol* really funny thoughts leading to really funny daydreams...
Thank you for making me laugh. And I think you are right.

I am lucky just to be interested in Canons DSLR body releases but not wanting to buy a 7D2.
So I can watch this with much lower blood pressure and pulse ;)

Upvote 0
Feb 12, 2014
drummstikk said:
meson1 said:
Canon Rumors said:

I throw this out mainly as target practice for those who seem to gleefully shoot down the idea at every opportunity, but could the larger viewfinder housing be for the larger prism necessary for an APS-H sensor? Of course, this would make the camera a "Successor to the 7D market space" rather than, strictly speaking, a "7D Mark II."

It may also have something to do with heat dissipation, something that is always of concern if you have a camera with advanced video features.

Upvote 0
drummstikk said:

I don't think that any successor or replacement for the 7D will be incompatible with EF-S lenses. That would just drive a lot of near-certain buyers down to the 70D.

Upvote 0

dgatwood

300D, 400D, 6D
May 1, 2013
AvTvM said:
pknight said:
I don't think that any successor or replacement for the 7D will be incompatible with EF-S lenses. That would just drive a lot of near-certain buyers down to the 70D.

Exactly!

So this brings up two interesting questions:

1. Would a 1.3x crop mirror clear the back of all of the EF-S lenses? If so, they could just crop the image when an EF-S lens is attached.

2. If not, how many of Canon's EF-S lenses have a back-focus distance that's short enough to force Canon to disable them in a 1.3x crop?

Of course, I keep wishing Canon would build a dual-mode full-frame/crop camera with a slightly more complex mirror assembly that slides out of the way of an EF-S lens before it flips, but....

Upvote 0
pknight said:
drummstikk said:

That argument gets made a lot, but I don't understand it. This camera will be at most 2nd down from top of the line. I don't see the design being constrained by compatibility with the very lowest tier of Canon lenses.

As it stands now, there is not nearly enough distinction between the 7D and 70D. This new camera will certainly correct that with new features and design improvements, including *possibly* a larger sensor. I'd be surprised if these improvements did not push the price north of $2000.00 (I believe the 7D was 1700 at introduction about four years ago.) By my count, only 3 EF-S lenses top $600.00 in price. That's two completely different markets.

Upvote 0
Khufu said:
LetTheRightLensIn said:

That's tape ;) I figured for hire/ID related purposes, maybe?... but YES! There are photographers with non-gripped bodies with larger viewfinders and markings where the 5D3's 'Mark III' badge resides - and I do recall struggling to see a mode dial. These were being shot by people also wielding 1Dx looking bodies - would Sports Pros shoot something as slow as the 5D3? These bodies were equipped with much shorter lenses...

Yeah I kinda figured tape, but it seemed to be unusually reflective, almost flashy fluorescent, most photogs don't use that sort of tape for marking, but I guess these ones did hah.

Upvote 0