Options for 60D upgrade/replacement?

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 4, 2011
Agreed...

I'm already enjoying the beefed-up AF, but that's coming from the 9-pt 60D (which has served me well more or less, mind you). The multiple focus points will allow much more freedom of composition rather than using the center point and cropping later like I've had to do with the T2i/60D (and what I probably would have had to keep doing with the 6D!).

I guess the only negative so far - while the 24-105 has become a much more versatile lens (24mm is actually wide! This is a huge difference over 1.6x!), the FF sensor exposes a big weakness in the lens that wasn't apparent before...it seems that corner sharpness is lacking a bit. Especially when using outer AF points, I could never get the area of focus truly sharp, even w/fast shutter speeds.

Upvote 0
Act444 said:
Agreed...

I'm already enjoying the beefed-up AF, but that's coming from the 9-pt 60D (which has served me well more or less, mind you). The multiple focus points will allow much more freedom of composition rather than using the center point and cropping later like I've had to do with the T2i/60D (and what I probably would have had to keep doing with the 6D!).

I guess the only negative so far - while the 24-105 has become a much more versatile lens (24mm is actually wide! This is a huge difference over 1.6x!), the FF sensor exposes a big weakness in the lens that wasn't apparent before...it seems that corner sharpness is lacking a bit. Especially when using outer AF points, I could never get the area of focus truly sharp, even w/fast shutter speeds.

One of my (many) obstacles in moving to FF. I really like my 17-55 on the 7D, and wasn't excited by the 24-105 on FF or APS-C. The 24-70II is be nice I am sure, but... :'(

Upvote 0
May 4, 2011
I loved the 24-105 on APS-C as an outdoor walkaround though. However, its usefulness indoors was decreased due to a) the slow aperture and b) 24mm not being wide enough in small to medium size rooms. FF definitely takes care of b) and even to a lesser extent, a) due to cleaner high ISO shots, while introducing c) soft towards the edge of the frame. Then again, even on APS-C softness was sometimes apparent (especially when compared to the 100 macro, 35 1.4, etc.)

But...still have to test it out in the "real world". My testing has been so far limited to my dimly-lit apartment, so can't speak for much other than the high ISO performance ;D

I'm going to try to get my hands on that 24-70. My 17-55 is about to be sold quite soon...that's a tough lens to part with, but in the end, it's all in the aid of cleaner indoor/event shots.

Upvote 0
Act444 said:
I loved the 24-105 on APS-C as an outdoor walkaround though. However, its usefulness indoors was decreased due to a) the slow aperture and b) 24mm not being wide enough in small to medium size rooms. FF definitely takes care of b) and even to a lesser extent, a) due to cleaner high ISO shots, while introducing c) soft towards the edge of the frame. Then again, even on APS-C softness was sometimes apparent (especially when compared to the 100 macro, 35 1.4, etc.)

But...still have to test it out in the "real world". My testing has been so far limited to my dimly-lit apartment, so can't speak for much other than the high ISO performance ;D

I'm going to try to get my hands on that 24-70. My 17-55 is about to be sold quite soon...that's a tough lens to part with, but in the end, it's all in the aid of cleaner indoor/event shots.

Congrats on acquiring the 5D3! Have you tried your 35/1.4 on it yet?

I was in the same situation as you when trying to find a FF zoom lens as sharp as my Sigma 17-50. I had both the 24-70 mk1 and 24-105. With the copies I tested, the 24-70 is sharper at f4 at all focal lengths so I ended up keeping it. One negative is that it is much larger and heavier than the 24-105. My suggestion, while you still have the 60D is to keep the 17-55 and for your 5D3, pick-up a 16-35 or another wide angle lens like 14L or 24L II first and supplement it with a 50/1.4 or 40mm (or your awesome 35L). The 16-35 will open up new creative outlets that you couldn't get before with the 60D and 24-105 or 17-55.

Btw, with the 24-70mk1, the 5d3's focusing points' usefulness really become apparent because you can't re-frame with that lens after focusing.

Upvote 0
May 4, 2011
christianronnel said:
Congrats on acquiring the 5D3! Have you tried your 35/1.4 on it yet?

Not on MY unit, but I was able to put it on a store demo unit about a week ago. To be quite honest I didn't really like the field of view on FF as much as I did on APS-C where I felt it was perfect (why I bought the lens in the first place). On FF it's a bit wide for me, prefer the FOV of 50mm. Problem is, I tried the 50 1.2 and it seemed to exhibit some backfocus at around 2.8 which I couldn't really seem to get rid of even after dialing in some AF correction quickly (and it screws up the other settings on top of that)...other than that I would certainly make the swap. I tried a used Sigma 50 1.4 which seemed great (apart from softness at 1.4), but I don't really wish to go 3rd party again and I would prefer a weather-sealed lens.

I was in the same situation as you when trying to find a FF zoom lens as sharp as my Sigma 17-50. I had both the 24-70 mk1 and 24-105. With the copies I tested, the 24-70 is sharper at f4 at all focal lengths so I ended up keeping it. One negative is that it is much larger and heavier than the 24-105. My suggestion, while you still have the 60D is to keep the 17-55 and for your 5D3, pick-up a 16-35 or another wide angle lens like 14L or 24L II first and supplement it with a 50/1.4 or 40mm (or your awesome 35L). The 16-35 will open up new creative outlets that you couldn't get before with the 60D and 24-105 or 17-55.

I guess I could do that but it's really too late on the 17-55. It's in auction on ebay (and there have been bids) so it's going to end up going to the highest bidder. I intend on getting the new 24-70 II as a replacement for use on the 5D3, as soon as my local store gets some good copies in.

I would be interested in seeing how wide 16 or 17mm is on FF...not much of a wide-angle shooter here, not really my style, but might be interesting to play around. After the 5D purchase and the 24-70 that's about it for my current funds though...so wouldn't be able to afford 16-35 or 14 (at least not right away)...perhaps a used 17-40 might be an option though- but I've heard it's not that good?

Basically, I'm only keeping the 60D for two main reasons: a) getting maximum reach out of my 70-200 2.8 and 70-300L for sports & events that call for it and b) for use with the 40mm 2.8 as a backup camera/2nd body. When I get more $ again I'll think about possibly trading in for a used 7D (much closer to the 5D3 in terms of operation it seems). The 5D3 will become my main camera with various lenses like the 24-105, 24-70 (when I get it), 70-200 and 70-300. I might trade in the 35 for a 50. that'll likely do it in terms of lenses unless I can find good deals on perhaps a 17-40 or something.

Btw, with the 24-70mk1, the 5d3's focusing points' usefulness really become apparent because you can't re-frame with that lens after focusing.

Why? Limited DOF?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.