Post your best portraits(street, studio, candid etc...).

There's plenty of texture in the skin in the original. This is how pro dodging and burning looks. No different to any Loreal advert or similar. The colour was intentional.

I don't recall asking for critiques, but since we are giving them out...

wpid-IMG_9889.jpg

Is she marrying the Phantom Of The Opera?

MG_4489.jpg

Really not sure what to say here except that you do know that the eyes should be in focus, right? Then there's the hair, the make-up, the skin...

The basic morals of this story are:

A: Don't criticise when you're no better.

B: Simple forum etiquette dictates that critiques must be solicited, not just dished out. Or you may find yourself on the receiving end...

Upvote 0
PilotJoe said:
Any critique is appreciated. Always trying to learn from others.

I think it is a nice portrait! Her elbow looks a bit sharper than the eyes - maybe your camera/lens setup needs some AFMA? I could be wrong tough.
It also looks like it is a bit blurry due to camera shake, maybe use a faster shutter speed?
Despite of that I really like the picture - nice composition and the aperture used seems just right!

Upvote 0
Some very nice portraits all around in this post. I am just getting started in portrait work and I have set up a simple Tumblr blog. Any feedback is very welcome. http://portraitsbyjavi.tumblr.com/

I am looking to break away a bit from the typical vertical portrait all the time and include more of the location along with the subject. Currently shooting only outdoors with available light, a 5D MKII 24-700, 85mm and the occasional shot with the pancake 40mm. Sorry if I have broken any rules by posting my tumblr. I am a newbie at posting here also but I feel like I have learned a lot from all of you.

Upvote 0

Quasimodo

Easily intrigued :)
Feb 5, 2012
Oslo, Norway
www.500px.com
javidog said:
Some very nice portraits all around in this post. I am just getting started in portrait work and I have set up a simple Tumblr blog. Any feedback is very welcome. http://portraitsbyjavi.tumblr.com/

I am looking to break away a bit from the typical vertical portrait all the time and include more of the location along with the subject. Currently shooting only outdoors with available light, a 5D MKII 24-700, 85mm and the occasional shot with the pancake 40mm. Sorry if I have broken any rules by posting my tumblr. I am a newbie at posting here also but I feel like I have learned a lot from all of you.

I like the shots :) On a couple of the shots of kids you have a birds POV, and to me that is not optimal, since imho it signalize their child status, as opposed to their individuality.

Best,

G

Upvote 0
May 26, 2012
javidog said:

Just a couple of minor criticisms:

The pic of Lukas (kid in front of brick wall) could have been framed better so the piece of earth in the lower left corner isn't seen. The lines of brick converging off behind Lukas looks pretty neat but the earth in the corner distracts the eye.

The shot of Avtandil would maybe be better if either the metal structure on the right of shot wasn't there or, better yet, Avtandil was interacting with it - maybe leaning his body against it or just having his hand on it.

Hope that gives you some inspiration.

Best wishes.

Upvote 0